What is this dentil/exterior trim called?

Elsbeth

Thank you both so much - I had no idea where to start - and googling Cornice Brackets got me the right info! Thank you!! I might try a smaller scale version using cut up cove molding. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I was donating some of our old board games to the Goodwill recently and noticed that the wood tile holders might make decent corbels. They would need to be cut with a small power saw. They are made of a dense nice quality wood

Great idea!

I think you would generally call them corbels.  My first thought was that stone/plaster = corbel, while wood = bracket, but that's just me.  This discussion

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/forum/jlc-online-expert-forums/finish-carpentry/53112-corbel-or-bracket

has a logical explanation that while the words are essentially interchangeable in literal meaning,

"a corbel is almost always specific to construction/architecture. A bracket is a word with meanings that includes terms outside of architecture. So, they are interchangeable, although 'corbel' would be immediately understood to mean something in construction, while 'bracket' would need context. Both are correct."

Nice house, Jenn!

Jeanne