Removing glued on lace from windows

6 posts in this topic

I bought a San Franciscan 550 this past weekend from Craig's List.  The house is fairly sound, and is only missing interior stair railings (as far missing/broken components)  The tower roof is not original (or so I've been told) but the low roof doesn't bother me.  Here's my question.  Someone, at some point in the past, glued lace to the windows of the house (as you can see from the picture, the person took care to use the same pattern in each window)  While I don't hate the look, I'd rather have something else.  Whoever glued this lace in must have used some spectacular glue, because this lace is all stuck tight.  Any suggestions to remove the lace (without having to take apart the house) would be greatly appreciated.

PS If anyone has any ideas for the roof (aside from building a "witch hat" tower roof) I'd like to hear those too!

dollhouse San Fran 1 before.JPG

On the positive side, it's probably not superglue or the windows would be fogged.

I'd try softening the lace/glue bond with a warm vinegar/water solution applied with a sponge. If you can soften the glue, you may be able to peel it off.

If that doesn't work, I think I'd try some Glue Be Gone. Not sure how that would affect the windowpane, though.

Heat can be a useful glue softener, but I'd avoid using it on the windowpanes for fear they'd melt.

1 person likes this

I can't wait to see how you rehab this house. Fingers crossed that the glue comes off the widows easily.

Google ideas for the turret.

You can do mock-ups with thin cardboard (from gift boxes) or something else that is pliable.

1 person likes this

Maybe some heat? Like from a blow dryer? 

I hope you have tiny, flexible hands to be able to get into that third floor tower room.  When I built the SF555 I did have to take the tower apart to get that third floor room decorated.

oh what a great find! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• San Franciscan Entry Stairs
      By Samusa
      Working on the Landscaping Board today...
      I know it seems like a job for the end but I need to at least lay out the plan and mock it up because the hillside will determine where "stone"goes on the outside of the basement.
      Additionally the new front stairs are an integral part of the landscaped hill and therefore careful height planning is needed to incorporate the stairs later. I've decided on three flights with two turns, thanks to the greenleafers who weighed in last post and suggested three.
      As you can see it's a fairly rough mock-up but you get the idea.
      I've built the second flight of stairs into the "hillside" because I felt this was more realistic for a hillside set of stairs rather than having them cantilever off the retaining wall. A bonus is I won't have to have railings on this flight & it also allows me to butt the third flight up against the wall creating the need for only one short stair railing at this level.
      The other bonus is it allows me to extend the hillside at the front of the board to allow more front yard even though I will likely shape this front portion of the foam into a gentle slope with a smaller retaining wall to soften the look.
      Looking at this picture now.... I might also move the second flight of stairs backwards a bit, to line up the lip of the top step with the back of the top flights last step... I think it looks a bit strange at the moment and it will also give me a bit of space between the driveway and the front path for greenery.
    • San Franciscan Front Stairs Mock-Up
      By Samusa
      Working on the Landscaping Board today... Still very much in mock up mode...
      As you can see I've just used random pieces of foam to simulate the lower landing. I may even put another set of three stairs on the other side of this landing facing back towards the apartment door. That way the little occupants have a choice of stairs whether going to the garage or the front gate.
      The foam will all be covered in water putty or some such product (again thanks to the Greenleafers who made suggestions.) to simulate a painted cement retaining wall. It'll probably have some cracks in it with plants popping out,.. or maybe a garden bed at the top (of the shortened) wall with hanging plants spilling over.. or vines.. I don't know yet but something to soften the effect. 
      It will need to be something that is not caustic to foam.. found out the hard way today that spray adhesive melts foam...
    • Garage
      By Samusa
      A close up of the garage. I have some work to do on the garage door and I may make a laundry area in the back under the window.
    • Basement living area
      By Samusa
      In the living area there will be a modular corner sofa bed arrangement of some sort (to be built). On the wall between the kitchenette and living area will be a tall thin storage cupboard. A small round coffee table and a storage unit on the diagonal wall for a TV and books, will round out the furniture for this room.
    • San Franciscan Basement top view
      By Samusa
      Top view of the entire floor plan for the San Franciscan basement. I finally got all my window and door holes cut. I will need to make some adjustments to the garage door opening as it's a bit large. Once the exterior stone goes on it should solve some of the issues.