Removing glued on lace from windows

6 posts in this topic

I bought a San Franciscan 550 this past weekend from Craig's List.  The house is fairly sound, and is only missing interior stair railings (as far missing/broken components)  The tower roof is not original (or so I've been told) but the low roof doesn't bother me.  Here's my question.  Someone, at some point in the past, glued lace to the windows of the house (as you can see from the picture, the person took care to use the same pattern in each window)  While I don't hate the look, I'd rather have something else.  Whoever glued this lace in must have used some spectacular glue, because this lace is all stuck tight.  Any suggestions to remove the lace (without having to take apart the house) would be greatly appreciated.

 

PS If anyone has any ideas for the roof (aside from building a "witch hat" tower roof) I'd like to hear those too!

dollhouse San Fran 1 before.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the positive side, it's probably not superglue or the windows would be fogged.

I'd try softening the lace/glue bond with a warm vinegar/water solution applied with a sponge. If you can soften the glue, you may be able to peel it off.

If that doesn't work, I think I'd try some Glue Be Gone. Not sure how that would affect the windowpane, though.

Heat can be a useful glue softener, but I'd avoid using it on the windowpanes for fear they'd melt.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to see how you rehab this house. Fingers crossed that the glue comes off the widows easily.

Google ideas for the turret.

You can do mock-ups with thin cardboard (from gift boxes) or something else that is pliable.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe some heat? Like from a blow dryer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you have tiny, flexible hands to be able to get into that third floor tower room.  When I built the SF555 I did have to take the tower apart to get that third floor room decorated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh what a great find! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

  • Similar Content

    • Basement floor - grouted.JPG
      By Samusa
      Gave the brick flooring a wash of white paint to tone down the red and give it a bit of an aged appearance. Then grouted. Used spackle this time @Its_a_sm_world_after_all Jodi.  Soooo much better.. but it's very white... should I give all of this a black wash to grimy it up a bit? Or leave it all white and pretty?
       

       
       
    • Deconstruction: What about the windows?
      By eamedling
      My current project is repairing a very used, maybe not finished Laurel that I got for $10 on Craigslist.  One of the things I know I want to do is remove the doors, which are currently glued in place, and add hinges so they can open.  They are currently hot-glued in place, and I know that I can use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue for removal, but I'm concerned about what the heat will do to the windows in the doors themselves.  The plastic looks very thin and I don't want it melted or warped if I can help it.  Has anyone else dealt with this before?  What did you do?  Should I just plan on replacing the plastic while I have the doors out? 
    • Window cleaning question
      By mythreecents
      Nearing the end of my first build. Just noticed a little dirt (fingerprints, speck of glue) on the acetate windows, and I know you folks will know the best way to clean them up. 
      Help!  
      Thx
    • When the windows don't quite fit...
      By mythreecents
      Progress on my Glencroft has come to a halt!  The windows and doors need an exceptional amount of trimming to fit properly. I'm wondering if there's a faster/more effective way than sanding them by hand? I also tried a Dremel but it can't get the corners properly. Any suggestions appreciated before it becomes a pile of toothpicks!  
    • Front Stairs - another view.JPG
      By Samusa
      Today I did a little maths and figured out the size of the cantilever off the porch for the redesigned front stairs. I've glued my three flights of stairs together and mocked them up here. I still have some tweaking to do, but I like how they are turning out. I think I will have the top flight as painted wood with railings to suit the porch railing (which I will be changing). The second and third flight of stairs will either be completely bricked in a brown tone brick or have bricked risers and and "concrete" slab treads.
      You can't really tell here but there is a decent window well under the porch and first floor bay window, so that the little basement dwellers aren't completely underground.
      Can't wait to get this foam encased in something! It's shedding like crazy. I've vacuumed 4 times today!