Removing glued on lace from windows

vbharrington

I bought a San Franciscan 550 this past weekend from Craig's List.  The house is fairly sound, and is only missing interior stair railings (as far missing/broken components)  The tower roof is not original (or so I've been told) but the low roof doesn't bother me.  Here's my question.  Someone, at some point in the past, glued lace to the windows of the house (as you can see from the picture, the person took care to use the same pattern in each window)  While I don't hate the look, I'd rather have something else.  Whoever glued this lace in must have used some spectacular glue, because this lace is all stuck tight.  Any suggestions to remove the lace (without having to take apart the house) would be greatly appreciated.

PS If anyone has any ideas for the roof (aside from building a "witch hat" tower roof) I'd like to hear those too!

dollhouse San Fran 1 before.JPG

On the positive side, it's probably not superglue or the windows would be fogged.

I'd try softening the lace/glue bond with a warm vinegar/water solution applied with a sponge. If you can soften the glue, you may be able to peel it off.

If that doesn't work, I think I'd try some Glue Be Gone. Not sure how that would affect the windowpane, though.

Heat can be a useful glue softener, but I'd avoid using it on the windowpanes for fear they'd melt.

• Like 1

I hope you have tiny, flexible hands to be able to get into that third floor tower room.  When I built the SF555 I did have to take the tower apart to get that third floor room decorated.