Hint for choosing color schemes

8 posts in this topic

I've got several houses I'm rehabbing, as well as a couple new builds.  I have a hard time visualizing what color schemes would look like on the houses (especially ones with a lot of trim, like my San Franciscan 550)  I've struggled for a couple of years with this, but I have finally hit upon a solution that works great for me.  I have an app on my phone (I have "Color My World" but I'm sure there are others) that will take a picture and turn it into a line drawing to color.  I then email it to myself, and print copies - I then use colored pencils to try out different color schemes and I can see how the house will look with the trim and other details painted.  This has saved me a lot of trouble, as I thought I knew what color scheme I was going to use for my 550 (It was based on a 555 I had seen) but once I colored my house picture with those colors, I saw that it really wouldn't work with the 550.  On the other hand, I love the Robin Carey pastel color scheme of yellow, green, pink, and purple.  I was able to take my coloring pages of my 550 and experiment until I found a way to incorporate those colors in my 550.  This is an example of the line drawing this app made of my 550.

San Franciscan Line.JPG

3 people like this

What a good idea. Thanks for sharing. :) 

1 person likes this

Thanks Vickie, neat app!

Also can be done with photo/paint software. My old Paint Shop Pro has: Image/Edges/Find All.

Another option for some of the following: Greenleaf; Corona; RGT & Lilliput, is that the dollhouses are already done for you.

Sorry no DuraCraft.

See Custom Dollhouse's free: Dollhouse Coloring Book

RGT's (free) has a few in pdf format

3 people like this

Awesome Mike!  Thanks for those links as well - That will save me a few steps when I need to work on my Buttercup scheme!

1 person likes this

Here's an unrelated but useful tip for choosing colors if you're  stymied. I like the sample combo sheets from the paint stores. Somebody else has already figured out what goes with what. All I have to do is decide which one I like best. I figure if it's good enough for my real house, it's good enough for the doll's house. :)  

5 people like this

I still pretty much start with my old standby color wheel...

That is a cool app. I, too, have trouble envisioning the colors on 1:12 scale and have been known to completely repaint the house when the colors that " I was sure" were going to look great were terrible. The same thing goes for those talented quilters who take swatches of cloth and create a cohesive masterpiece. 

What a great idea.  Much better than what I did when I started refinishing my dollhouse.  I probably changed the color scheme about ten times, which involved me actually beginning to paint it.  Such a waste!  Thanks for sharing.