Noel Thomas vs. Ray Urh

Melt

57 minutes ago, Melt said:

Wait, sorry. I think I understand. Tape them in the room overlapping. 

I think you’ve got it. It’s a combination of straight edges of paper and folds to make the shape of the floor. Once all the paper is taped together remove it to trace around a piece of cardboard or very thin wood.  That will be your template. You can apply the wood directly to the template either permanently with glue or temporarily with a spray adhesive. 

2 hours ago, Melt said:

Wait, sorry. I think I understand. Tape them in the room overlapping. 

Yes that's right and what Sable said. Just keep cutting pieces of paper with a straight edge small enough or smaller to span any straight section and keep adding/folding/taping until you have a mosaic of paper, the outline of which is the shape of your floor. Then take it out carefully and trace around it onto one solid piece or card or mat board.. cut out and TaDa, you have a template. :D 

9 hours ago, Sable said:

... Once all the paper is taped together remove it to trace around a piece of cardboard or very thin wood.  ...

8 hours ago, Samusa said:

... keep adding/folding/taping until you have a mosaic of paper, the outline of which is the shape of your floor. Then take it out carefully and trace around it onto one solid piece or card or mat board.. cut out and TaDa, you have a template. 

And be sure to mark which side of the template is UP/the top, so you don't end up with a wood floor that is a mirror image of what you need.  Please don't ask me how I know this.

• Like 1

Once you have your template you can cut strips of iron-on wood veneer to iron on your template, place it in the room to check for fit, take it back out again to stain, seal and finish it as you desire, and then install it permanently.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Beautifully finished! Do you know which numbered tower house this is?  I probably did some work on the shell. My specialty was the caps to the tower.  My Dad is the Evergreen Woodworker