Bathroom style question

mythreecents

Hello!

I am building the Glencroft (my first build), and the backstory is as follows: 
The cottage was part of a larger estate in Yorkshire which was inherited by a Canadian freelance writer; the main house house is in a state of disrepair and much too large and draughty for her, so she's decided to live in the cottage and work on her romance novels. (Perhaps the great house will be my next build). There's been a bit of updating done to the cottage as far as plumbing etc, but not too much (it was the caretaker's cottage and he was an elderly gent who passed some time ago). 

The question is in regards to the bathroom. I'm stuck as to what style of fittings to use. Although the cottage is Tudor style, it's occupied in the present day. I don't want a modern style tub/toilet/sink. I am leaning towards Victorian style, with the elevated toilet tank and clawfoot tub. Advice/suggestions would be most welcome!

Wow, that is one great story about the history of your cottage Glencroft house.  I sure wish I had that kind of imagination.

Sorry, to say I would have no idea what period of bathroom you should put in the house, but if you wait patiently there will be a ton of responses to your question.  

Welcome to the forum, you will love it here.  So, many helpful and talented people reside within this forum.  

• Like 1

Chrysnbon does a nice bathroom kit in the style you are thinking of.

Image result for chrysnbon bathroom kit

Do an image search online on this kit and you will see some of the amazing transformations people do to this kit. :)

Colleen, this IS an amazing group with superb ideas, a fountain of information!  That is the kit I was looking at, but thinking it looked too dated, so the idea of putting a shower fitting on it is perfect, thank you Carrie. And, Samantha, looking at images to see what folks have done with their kits, well I wouldn't have thought of that and now I've gone down the rabbit hole :) 

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of Otterine :) That's, in fact, where I got the beadboard wall idea from. I can't begin to imagine doing anything so delicate, so complicated on a first build, but it's fabulous inspiration!

Edited by mythreecents

Liz, here is the Chrysnbon bathroom kit made up in my Glencroft (which is a pub); I also used their bathroom accessory kit.  I made up the Chrysnbon cookstove and icebox kits for the pub's kitchen:

KathieB's views:  the bathroomP3150069.JPG

• Like 2

I'm working on a similar styled house, Tudor but with a more updated interior...I've been looking at the chrysnbon tub but I'm worried it might be too petite. I wish I could see one in person. I'm doing a bath scene with a doll and faux bubbles, so I need the doll to actually fit in the tub. I'm considering the chrysnbon or maybe one of the wooden tubs. Another way to search around is to do an eBay search for dollhouse miniatures bath. You'll see a lot of options and you might find a good deal on a used or vintage-y one. 

• Like 1

Also...not sure if you know about the Reutter Porcelain brand of minis? They make beautiful claw foot tubs. You'll see them on eBay or places like miniatures.com, the Reutter website,etc 

• Like 1

One of the things I do is go on eBay and find the item I want for sale, if I can. Then I look to see if the measurements are given. I usually allow 6 to 6 1/2 inches minimum for a tub in the room. Seven inches is better. That allows you some room on both ends. That half bath tub there in the pic is still about 5" long, as I remember, because I looked at it as an alternative to a 6" tub and it still wasn't small enough.

For both my Arthur and the shadowbox bathroom, I'm using a Renwal or Ideal (3/4" to 1') bathroom set in plastic. I made my Arthur bathroom only 4" wide and the tub should fit in there. I hope. I don't have the bathroom set yet. LOL The Glencroft has a large bathroom, though, and unless you're going to split it in two and have a dressing room in front, there should be plenty of room for a large tub.

Holly, wine bottles in the bathroom? I'm moving into YOUR Glencroft!

• Like 3

If the Glencroft is anything like the Westville, which I think it is...yeah, that bathroom is luxuriously large. 

Getting dimensions from eBay and or mini sales websites and then making a paper mock up to check and see if it pleases you would be time well spent and possibly save you money from buying the wrong size.  Ask me how I know that...haha that's one reason our stashes get so big...buying the wrong size :) 

• Like 1

I really liked what this person did - they walled off a small portion of the back of that eaved room and have an inferred bathroom with the tub. I did this with mine, too, and decorated it entirely (used a renewal bathroom which works in this case) then added a removable wall with the doorway (stuck the wall in with wax) and I really like it. I made the additional room into a study/dressing room. My Glencroft feels larger for it.

TudorInt.jpg

boudoir1.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I really liked what this person did - they walled off a small portion of the back of that eaved room and have an inferred bathroom with the tub. I did this with mine, too, and decorated it entirely (used a renewal bathroom which works in this case) then added a removable wall with the doorway (stuck the wall in with wax) and I really like it. I made the additional room into a study/dressing room. My Glencroft feels larger for it.

TudorInt.jpg

boudoir1.jpg

I really like what you did with this and I agree, it "feels" larger

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mythreecents said:

Colleen, this IS an amazing group with superb ideas, a fountain of information!  That is the kit I was looking at, but thinking it looked too dated, so the idea of putting a shower fitting on it is perfect, thank you Carrie. And, Samantha, looking at images to see what folks have done with their kits, well I wouldn't have thought of that and now I've gone down the rabbit hole :) 

Oh Liz.. I know all about that rabbit hole... it's a big one.. :blush:

On 2017-05-22, 4:53:03, havanaholly said:

Liz, here is the Chrysnbon bathroom kit made up in my Glencroft (which is a pub); I also used their bathroom accessory kit.  I made up the Chrysnbon cookstove and icebox kits for the pub's kitchen:

KathieB's views:  the bathroomP3150069.JPG

I am crazy about this pub. I've decided that my next build must be a bakeshop :) Thanks Holly! It's from you, by the way, that I realized the doll house would talk to me, that's how I know who lives there :)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017‎ ‎8‎:‎26‎:‎44‎, Sable said:

Scroll done until you come to Otterine's bathroom in her Haunted Heritage. It is one of my favorite baths of all time. The kit is just a part of the plan, how you execute the design around it is the icing on the cake:

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/the-haunted-heritage-a-pictorial

Sorry to go a bit off topic in this thread, but does the person who made this Haunted Heritage (which is AMAZING!) post here?  I wanted to ask a question about the grass she used, though I see she made it years ago and perhaps it's a pointless question anyway.  Thanks!