RGT 1:12th scale Bungalow. What style furniture?

Hey guys :):wave: 

I decided to branch out and do the RGT Bungalow which I have wicked plans for ;) but, I don't now whether to decorate the interior in mid century modern or to do it in Mission style, or to just go traditional. The scene setting with be the early 1970's with the possibility that the family has never updated their furniture. So, I guess I'm asking, if you were to do this house, what style interior would you do? I'm not sure who created the bungalow in the photo but, that's the house, and I just love what they did to the exterior.

2d41cd2ff0279b3c0400baddb147bdce.jpg

• Like 3

The house is amazing.....I think a funky 1970's shag carpet, with harvest gold appliances would be groovy. (I remember when my mom got her Harvest gold Fridge and dishwasher). You don't see many 70's inspired houses. We also had wood paneling in the living room...OMG I totally want to do a house now!

Whatever you do, it will be fun.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

The house is amazing.....I think a funky 1970's shag carpet, with harvest gold appliances would be groovy. (I remember when my mom got her Harvest gold Fridge and dishwasher). You don't see many 70's inspired houses. We also had wood paneling in the living room...OMG I totally want to do a house now!

Whatever you do, it will be fun.

That sounds so yummy visually! I'm definitely considering tons of wood paneling too :)  I have a few 70's pieces of furniture, and I could make it eclectic/collected kind of vibe. Dying for one of those monster sized console tv's too lol Yes, you need to do this house too! lol It's going to be fun!

I remember my Mum got our kitchen renovated in the seventies too and it had orange formica countertops and dark "wood" look laminate cabinets, the wallpaper was a geometric floral in yellow & orange tones.. I can't for the life of me remember what the appliances were but I thing they were some kind of ombre metallic brown colour.. lol.. It was so high fashion at the time that it was in the Sunday newspaper lifestyle section as the epitome of 70's modern kitchen style.. I have this picture of my Dad and me having breakfast at the peninsula and it's one of my favourites.. but unfortunately it's in black and white... I'm going to have to go and hunt down a colour photo now.. lol...

I think a 70's vibe would be super cool...

I have used this exact picture to finish my bungalow, (1/2 scale but still the same house). I wish I had done the 1'' it would be easier to decorate. I am doing mine in Mission style inside.  I have some photos posted of what I have done so far if you want to look.   

• Like 1

I would most definitely finish it in Mission or Craftsman style, something post-WWI.  There are issues of The Best of the Scale Cabinet Maker for making both the furniture and the kitchen appliances for that era.  Our 1970s fridge was brown (it was a Whirlpool side-by-side that moved with us for three subsequent houses before we finally left it behind in our move back home to FL); the rest of our kitchen was a disgusting "avocado" greenish that was supposed to be in vogue.

• Like 2

Oh, no!  Harvest Gold and Avocado Green.  And, yes, that brown, although I don't remember what it was called.  :)  Those are definitely seventies colors.  If you want a house that has original furniture, though, I would go with Craftsman/Mission style, although you could mix in some more modern "retro" pieces and some of your 70's furniture.  Could make it very fun.  We live in a Craftsman bungalow, and we have both a Hoosier cabinet and one of those great fifties Formica tables with vinyl chairs (reproduction) in our kitchen.  JBM has some lovely Mission-style pieces, but they are pricey.  Town Square used to make some, and you might check eBay for them.  (Example:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mission-Craftsman-Sofa-Settee-T6236-miniature-dollhouse-furniture-1-12-scale-/191903394727)  Miniatures.com has quite a few mid-century modern pieces.  Good luck!  I love your inspiration house.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beulah said:

I have used this exact picture to finish my bungalow, (1/2 scale but still the same house). I wish I had done the 1'' it would be easier to decorate. I am doing mine in Mission style inside.  I have some photos posted of what I have done so far if you want to look.   

Oh, that's awesome!! Ok, I'll check out your gallery! Yeah, I  saw the 1" scale at my local dollhouse store and was super impressed at how large it was, and I knew I had to make it. I've noticed that even with it's almost 3' width, people don't get a lot of furniture upstairs but, we'll see. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I would most definitely finish it in Mission or Craftsman style, something post-WWI.  There are issues of The Best of the Scale Cabinet Maker for making both the furniture and the kitchen appliances for that era.  Our 1970s fridge was brown (it was a Whirlpool side-by-side that moved with us for three subsequent houses before we finally left it behind in our move back home to FL); the rest of our kitchen was a disgusting "avocado" greenish that was supposed to be in vogue.

LOL But that avocado was so "tre chic" lol That's the thing...If I go craftsman, it would be reasonably simple to make furniture for it since it had such simple, stick like lines. Decisions decisions...

There is a house for sale down the street from me that actually has the original harvest gold dishwasher in it.  The entire house screams 1973.  Paneled walls and French provincial bathrooms included. Unfortunately, they are asking a 2017 price for it. 

• Like 1

Our condo came equipped with a harvest gold light/exhaust fan hood over the stove in good working order if you can overlook the ear-splitting screams of the fan when it is first turned on. When we redid the kitchen with dark brown cabinets, we kept it. Painted and papered the walls in similar shades of gold, accented with red small appliances. Fridge, stove and dishwasher are white. Stainless steel sink. The hood is the lynchpin that holds it all together. It's updated, yet has an aura of vintage cottage. 

• Like 1

Oh, I love it!! Retro must be very popular ;)

22 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Our condo came equipped with a harvest gold light/exhaust fan hood over the stove in good working order if you can overlook the ear-splitting screams of the fan when it is first turned on. When we redid the kitchen with dark brown cabinets, we kept it. Painted and papered the walls in similar shades of gold, accented with red small appliances. Fridge, stove and dishwasher are white. Stainless steel sink. The hood is the lynchpin that holds it all together. It's updated, yet has an aura of vintage cottage. 

Aside from the noise pollution lol it sounds fabulous Kathie!

Depending on the location - these were pretty common 1940's houses. I'd probably do 1940s furniture/wallpaper with some 1970s upgrades by the 70's owners. I have a Pierce where is appears to have an attempt to keep the victorian look, but the bathroom is pure 1960s. Because "someone decided to update it in the 60's". So they are stuck with that bathroom. But I love a mish mash of styles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Oh, no!  Harvest Gold and Avocado Green.  And, yes, that brown, although I don't remember what it was called.  :)  Those are definitely seventies colors.  If you want a house that has original furniture, though, I would go with Craftsman/Mission style, although you could mix in some more modern "retro" pieces and some of your 70's furniture.  Could make it very fun.  We live in a Craftsman bungalow, and we have both a Hoosier cabinet and one of those great fifties Formica tables with vinyl chairs (reproduction) in our kitchen.  JBM has some lovely Mission-style pieces, but they are pricey.  Town Square used to make some, and you might check eBay for them.  (Example:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mission-Craftsman-Sofa-Settee-T6236-miniature-dollhouse-furniture-1-12-scale-/191903394727)  Miniatures.com has quite a few mid-century modern pieces.  Good luck!  I love your inspiration house.

Thanks Deb, for the link! Yeah, I like mixing pieces and era's a bunch. I love the eclectic feel. Most people don't buy all their furniture at one time, and jut keep it forever so, that's where I'm leaning :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Monica_the_haunted said:

Thanks Deb, for the link! Yeah, I like mixing pieces and era's a bunch. I love the eclectic feel. Most people don't buy all their furniture at one time, and jut keep it forever so, that's where I'm leaning :)

Or they get it from their parents or in laws. That's my problem. All of my furniture is from family. Not my taste but it's quality furniture so I live with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Depending on the location - these were pretty common 1940's houses. I'd probably do 1940s furniture/wallpaper with some 1970s upgrades by the 70's owners. I have a Pierce where is appears to have an attempt to keep the victorian look, but the bathroom is pure 1960s. Because "someone decided to update it in the 60's". So they are stuck with that bathroom. But I love a mish mash of styles. 

Yes, exactly! It's kind of a natural progression in life to update things a little at a time :)

You may want to alter the front door, and top window.  I did, but I am not at home I will send a photo when back form vacation.  I made them look craftsman style, It was quite easy 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Beulah said:

You may want to alter the front door, and top window.  I did, but I am not at home I will send a photo when back form vacation.  I made them look craftsman style, It was quite easy 

Ok let me know when you get home! I'm trying to complete the Diana right now so, I'm not in a big rush although I'm excited to get started :)

7 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Yes, exactly! It's kind of a natural progression in life to update things a little at a time :)

• Like 1