New here, and could use some pointers!

goingforpr

Hi there! 

I'm new to the world of miniatures, and building a house for my niece. Greenleaf Orchid seemed like a good first-timer house. So far, I'm completely obsessed, and love working on it. 

The only thing I'm struggling with is trying to find a faster way to sand all the parts.  I've been looking at pen sanders, Dremels, and I'm not sure what's right for me. 

Any pointers?

Thanks to all! 

Hi, Tom, welcome to the forum.

Sanding is all about personal preference, and no matter how you approach it, it isn't going to be fast. I like doing it by hand, using some small shaped files for intricate spaces, but I do also use the Dremel at times, and a small electric sander is good for sanding large surfaces. Some of us get into the zone as we sand and enjoy a little break from the hustle of the real world. 

Emery boards are useful for sanding small pieces. They can be split lengthwise to fit into the small spaces that I attack with the files. Get a big pack of them at a dollar store. There are also sanding sponges or sandpaper blocks that work well for larger surfaces if you don't want to get into an electric sander. As I said above, it's all about personal preference. Try different approaches and you'll soon find your niche.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

Hi Tom,  nice to meet you.  Can't wait to see pictures of your Orchid.

Including what Kathy said I use this sander quite a bit.  Relatively inexpensive.

Ryobi 1.2 Amp Corner Cat Sander

I love my Mouse sander and you can get replacement sandpaper easily. I use a thick towel to reduce hand vibrations.

Since you're only at the sanding stage --- a pre-gluing note:  Regardless of what the instructions might say, don't start gluing it together with hot glue!  That deteriorates over time, and the house could fall apart!  Use white glue, or wood glue.  I use wood glue on the large structural pieces, white glue everywhere else.  Like a lot of things in the contruction, personal preference will dictate exactly what you use, and where, but hot glue is a universal no-no!  A lot of us use Aileen's glue, too -- that can be found at craft stores, like Michaels, or Hobby Lobby.  Elmer's glue works, too.  :)

And welcome to the world of mini houses!  Your niece is lucky to have you!

Hi Tom,

I'm fairly new at this as well, building the Beacon Hill right now. I'm finding the sanding blocks to be my favorites and my Dremel to be a huge time saver for certain pieces. Good luck with everything!

I love my Dremel.  I use it for sanding, cutting wood, and carving.  I've had both corded and battery-powered and I recommend the battery-powered.  Your ears and your neighbors will thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Khadi said:

I love my Dremel.  I use it for sanding, cutting wood, and carving.  I've had both corded and battery-powered and I recommend the battery-powered.  Your ears and your neighbors will thank you.

I cut and grind stone with mine so I need the extra longer term power the cord provides. 

On 5/23/2017, 1:11:38, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome to the Forum Tom.

Your niece is fortunate to have an uncle who will make her a dollhouse. Is it a surprise gift?

Thank you! She's actually a little too young to know it's coming, but I'm going to put plexy on it until she's old enough to enjoy it. Her mom knows it's coming, and loves hearing about my progress. :) 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017, 12:41:25, KathieB said:

Hi, Tom, welcome to the forum.

Sanding is all about personal preference, and no matter how you approach it, it isn't going to be fast. I like doing it by hand, using some small shaped files for intricate spaces, but I do also use the Dremel at times, and a small electric sander is good for sanding large surfaces. Some of us get into the zone as we sand and enjoy a little break from the hustle of the real world. 

Emery boards are useful for sanding small pieces. They can be split lengthwise to fit into the small spaces that I attack with the files. Get a big pack of them at a dollar store. There are also sanding sponges or sandpaper blocks that work well for larger surfaces if you don't want to get into an electric sander. As I said above, it's all about personal preference. Try different approaches and you'll soon find your niche.

Thank you!! Everyone has been so welcoming! What a fantastic forum. I will definitely look into the dollar store emery boards. I'm about to start sanding the roof trim, and I know it's going to be no easy task. Thank you so much for the pointers. I think my next purchase will be a Dremel! :) 

Thank you all for the great feedback! You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome!

About a month ago, it occurred to me I was wasting too much of free time in front of the television. Determined to find a new hobby, and reflecting on my childhood interest in miniatures, I decided to give this a go. And so far, I couldn't be happier. I can find myself working on this for HOURS without even noticing. Psychologist call it, "creative flow." I call it, de-stressing, and fun. :) 

I'm (sort-of) done with the main parts of the exterior walls, and flooring. I've done two coats of spray polyurethane, but haven't achieved the look I'd like yet. I'd like it to be a touch glossier, but I'm scared to add another coat in fear of it looking TOO glossy and/or "wet." 

Any one else had this problem? 

Also - any pointers for the first floor ceiling? I only put polyurethane on one side. The living room walls will be white, so I'm trying to find a suitable substitute - if even just the texture.

Lastly - what is everyone else working on? I would love to see your work! 

Tom, you have made enough posts to start an album of your build in the Gallery.  If you think building the house is fun, just wait until you start in on furniture and all the accessories, people, etc, who will live in your niece's house.  You might even consider building a "big girl's" dollhouse for her momma.

On 5/23/2017, 9:37:49, Sable said:

I cut and grind stone with mine so I need the extra longer term power the cord provides. 

What kind of attachments do you use to cut and grind stone?  I finally found one that cuts wood really well, but I'm still looking for one to cut harder objects.  Thanks

40 minutes ago, Khadi said:

What kind of attachments do you use to cut and grind stone?  I finally found one that cuts wood really well, but I'm still looking for one to cut harder objects.  Thanks

A diamond wheel is available at Home Depot. You need the adapter to hold it. I will find the parts and post in a bit.

19 hours ago, Sable said:

It's part of the EZ Lock system. You need the EZ Lock Mandrel.

https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BEH94.html?gclid=CP2X0J3BkdQCFY-MaQodni4Msg

On 5/23/2017, 9:37:49, Sable said:

Thanks.  I found it on Amazon.  They have the Dremel brand, as well as, some other brands that fit Dremel and are much less expensive that have good reviews.