Dura-Craft

Beulah

Have you tried them on the first floor, front facing curving towards the left/kitchen? That might leave you more room in the living room for furnishing.. these rooms are so narrow already... As much as I love it, furnishing this house is a challenge.

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

If she bashes two of them together she can leave out the first floor divider wall where she uses the curved stairs.

Of course... I forgot the part of the conversation where bashing two together was discussed. :doh:

I agree that having one on the 2nd floor is overkill, but I'm not enchanted with the one on the ground floor, either. In my humble opinion, being in the front, it blocks the view of the room, takes up too much real estate if you consider the area under it head-bumping useless for furniture placement, and this particular staircase seems a bit clunky when seen against the more delicately scaled architectural features of the house. 

Have you considered building a more suitably scaled, narrower staircase with perhaps a couple of landings? I'd have the upper section of the stairs face the viewer, then a landing and turn 90 degrees to the viewer's right (parallel to the edge of the house and smack up against it, flush with the invisible wall), with a second landing and a couple of steps into the room. 

I'm all for curved staircases, but it just doesn't sit quite right with me in this particular house.

• Like 1

When I built the SF555 I used the stairs that came with the kit and faced them towards the front door, put a back on them and placed furniture under them.  I don't know what my granddaughter did with it after she got it, and it no longer exists, apparently.  I think if I were to build another I'd try cobbling something like the stairs in the Pierce.

• Like 1

I like the room open so much more!

With the stair landing at the front of the house you could build a small divider that only reaches the bottom of the stringers. that way there is division, but the stair way is open and the room feels open still?

I think that dividing wall is going to stay out of mine when i build it..

• Like 1

Wow, they are going to look great no matter which direction you place them.  But, personally like them to the left, or the second picture.  I sure wish I would have thought of this for my SF555.  Your house is going to be so beautiful.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! I love the idea of the curved stairs but I'm not convinced because the house is so small!  I think I'm going to put down the stair cases for a bit and let the house tell me what to do - I do like the idea of the smaller case with some landings and a small or partial dividing wall.  Hopefully the house will speak soon!  The rest of the flooring has arrived and I'm now thinking about the fireplace breast wall and paneling.  Maybe working on that will cause the house to seek up!

• Like 1