Stencils for Miniatures

I have used parts of the little brass stencils I've gotten in the scrapbooking section of big box craft stores for mini projects.  I made a sprig of holly parget on the pub using a brass Christmas wreath stencil and spackle.  I seem to recall from getting the idea from a decoration Tracy/ Minis on the Edge did on one of her builds.

I use stamps!  I wanted a stencil look in my floors, found a stamp that had the look I wanted, and lightly painted the paint on, stamped it gently - and wiped off stamp periodically.

If you're stenciling floors or wood - they sell mirco thin veneer in the scrapbooking section.

You can run it thru your printer. 

I drew the stencil, pegs, grooves & added extra grain - in a drawing program, then printed it onto the micro veneer & sealed it.

You can go over the groove lines with a dry ball point pen to emboss the lines...

gallery_4762_4052_22422.jpg  gallery_4762_4052_68631.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, otterine said:

What type of stencils are you seeking?  I have a Cricut machine and have dabbled in making my own, but it is hard to cut super tiny shapes.

I am seeking the what Shannon posted, but you sparked a question.

Would the  Cricut be able to do a sign something like this.? This is for the Creatin' contest building.

1 hour ago, shannonc60 said:

Thank you for the link Shannon. That is what I am looking for.

Thank you to everyone who replied with suggestions. I want delicate stencils for furniture and possibly ceilings.

52 minutes ago, jrchob said:

I used just regular stencils to create a stenciled rug. Just looked at designs till I found the right size.

002.JPG.faa490b6e29aea9b9a2ec605f4aeac45001.JPG.86032236d0ae58996a3d143e6cfe8e5a

I like those a lot, but i was just curious if there were stencils made for miniaturist.

9 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

If you're stenciling floors or wood - they sell mirco thin veneer in the scrapbooking section.

You can run it thru your printer. 

I drew the stencil, pegs, grooves & added extra grain - in a drawing program, then printed it onto the micro veneer & sealed it.

You can go over the groove lines with a dry ball point pen to emboss the lines...

gallery_4762_4052_22422.jpg  gallery_4762_4052_68631.jpg

That's very interesting Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I am seeking the what Shannon posted, but you sparked a question.

Would the  Cricut be able to do a sign something like this.? This is for the Creatin' contest building.

Yes, it would.  I did lettering and symbols for an art crate.  Post here.

• Like 1

Martha Stewart has an entire line of stencils. Michaels carries an assortment. Small sections of some of the designs can be used for smaller bits like on furniture or plates. Is that the size you are looking for? But for tiny stencils, I agree with ironworks above.

• Like 1

This topic reminded me of one our favorite places to go to when we visit #2 son.  Fairfax Co, VA, turned their old workhouse prison into an arts center and we have met & chatted with some terrifically talented artists and artisans.  The last time we sere there one of them was making stencils for a really intricate design using masking tape, embroidery scissors and a craft knife.  It occurred to me that her technique could be scaled down to mini quite easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

I just watched a video, the girl was punching items for a dollar store furniture make over.  I saw the pattern she left on the page from her punchouts.  What a cool stencil it would make.  Off to the craft store in the morning. Lol

Have you seen the dollar store furniture? For a 1$ it's great...LOL. I only have seen the sofa table in person and I bought the last two they had.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Have you seen the dollar store furniture? For a 1$ it's great...LOL. I only have seen the sofa table in person and I bought the last two they had.

I have a couple of pieces.  They aren't high quality,  but we are all about smoke and mirrors anyway.   I turned one into a 50s formica table.

I'm not sure if this would help, but this seller on eBay has several decals for dishes and furniture.  I am sure they could be used on walls and floors.  Here is just one of the listings.  It is from Australia, but if all else fails . . .  shipping is expensive, but if you place a large order it might be worth the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSCALE-1-12-SCALE-MINIATURE-DECAL-01-50-EARLY-AMERICAN-STENCILS-DECAL-/112396498120?hash=item1a2b5a74c8:g:t4MAAOSwjqVZDB8T

• Like 1

Used my crucut to make several signs, the top is a stencil - I wanted it messy, the other two are cut outs and backed with different colors.  

The thing about the cricut, for me anyway, must be simple cuts if small and tiny.  I use mine all the time making tiny things, I just made a breadbox and a tiny mailbox with it.  

• Like 1