San Franciscan 550 - removing a wall?

I have a San Franciscan 550 that I picked up for a steal on Craig's List.  I've spent the last few weeks deciding what to do with it - and I really think I want to remove part of the upper tower (interior) wall.  The wall I'd like to remove is the the one that separates the upper tower room from the larger room (I can't figure out how to add an arrow to the picture to point it out)  This would make it much easier for me to get in to decorate it.  Any suggestions on whether this would work or not would be appreciated.

dollhouse san fran 2 before.JPG

592885742dd18_SanFranIllustration.jpg.51

15 minutes ago, vbharrington said:

I have a San Franciscan 550 that I picked up for a steal on Craig's List.  I've spent the last few weeks deciding what to do with it - and I really think I want to remove part of the upper tower (interior) wall.  The wall I'd like to remove is the the one that separates the upper tower room from the larger room (I can't figure out how to add an arrow to the picture to point it out)  This would make it much easier for me to get in to decorate it.  Any suggestions on whether this would work or not would be appreciated.

If you mean the wall with the arrow above, I'd say yes you can remove it. You may have to add a support beam to finish the end where you cut your angle.

You could also close the top off completely with a piece to act as a ceiling board after you cut off the angled piece out. I'd want it open if it was me but that's a personal choice.

• Like 1

I wracked my brain for months trying to figure out how to do just that to the SF555 without taking the tower and part of that front wall out to get to it!  I ended up doing what I could to decorate the room before installing the tower roof.  It was my first-ever build, and if I were ever to build another I would mark the part I wanted to remove during the dry fit, not wait until it was glued together.  I will be most interested to hear what you used to do it.

• Like 1

Yay!  Thanks Selkie for the arrow!  I have a tentative idea as to what I'm going to do with this house - it came to me as I was waiting to see my doctor this afternoon (horrible sinus infection, so the idea could have been a Benadryl hallucination)  I know I'm going to have to cover the cut mark with something, but I haven't decided exactly how to do this.  Thanks

in the 555, this section of the tower is actually cut out - it's installed dry fit style and then the instructions state to mark a line around the tower roof line and saw it and remove that section so it's open ....I've never seen this model inside, I'm surprised that this part was left inside.....let us know what you do with it!

When I built the 555 my set of instructions didn't mention anything about cutting away that section of wall.  Being my first-ever kit, it's more than likely I just missed that part in one of my dyslectic moments.

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

When I built the 555 my set of instructions didn't mention anything about cutting away that section of wall.  Being my first-ever kit, it's more than likely I just missed that part in one of my dyslectic moments.

Honestly Holly, I almost missed it when I was reviewing for something totally unrelated and it was truly by chance that I caught the mention of drawing a cut line and removing that section of wall space.

• 8 months later...

I am a huge fan of an oscillating multitool for cutting dollhouse walls apart after construction... I have taken out attic endwalls in a colonial dollhouse without disrupting anything else in the build... I use it all the time for electrification slots... it's versatile and gentle, and I use it on most of the houses I customize (my jig saw is lost and lonely in the cupboard).

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-Multi-Max-Oscillating-Accessories-Refurbished/dp/B00JZYQRE0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1517080886&sr=8-8&keywords=oscillating+multitool

doc

• Like 1