Victorian Icebox

Roxxie2

Does anyone have a simple old fashioned ice box pattern they would be willing to share?   I have searched Pinterest without any results.  It wouldn't matter if it was 1:12 scale I can scale it down to 1:24 if needed.  Thanks!

Does it need to open?  Could it be like this?

large.icebox.jpg.b0ec527fcbf8cc30ea32c53

I made this from mat board, wood veneer, HO lumber, a wood strip (for the top), bits of metal foil and wire.  I could send you my plans if this would work for you. I made it for my Fairfield, so it is already 1:24.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Does it need to open?  Could it be like this?

I made this from mat board, wood veneer, HO lumber, a wood strip (for the top), bits of metal foil and wire.  I could send you my plans if this would work for you. I made it for my Fairfield, so it is already 1:24.

Deborah, this is wonderful. I thought it was a real life icebox at first glance. Even under closer scrutiny, it shines. :) 

• Like 3

I just noticed the little ice tongs on the side!   Really great!   I think there is a huge market for people who can craft anything in half scale.    I am feeling challenged to keep working on half scale and make as many of my own miniatures as I can.   I am starting the Rosedale and already have my eye on the half scale Jefferson or Willow.  Both great colonial houses. 

• Like 1

KathieB is our Queen of the stain pens, which she discovered can be refilled.  I save the hub's old, ratty teeshirts & rip them into lovely rags that I dip into the stain & rub into my floors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

KathieB is our Queen of the stain pens, which she discovered can be refilled.  I save the hub's old, ratty teeshirts & rip them into lovely rags that I dip into the stain & rub into my floors.

There might be enough stain to do all three floors in a 1:24 scale house, but I think I'd buy two just to be sure. Keep them tightly capped and they'll last a long time for other projects.

When using a soft cloth for staining, I use the smallest piece possible. Larger pieces just drink up the stain and don't give it all to the project. 

• Like 1

Kathie,  Are they like the size of magic markers?   I have to go to Ace hardware today to get some balsa wood strips and sanding block so I thought I would look for some stain material.  I use to use just craft paint and wipe it down but after I used real stain on my Fairfield there is no comparison.  The real stain makes the wood look much richer.  I am so glad that I did the real stain in my half scale.   Also,  the wood that the laser cut half scale Rosedale is really smooth but doesn't seem to absorb the stain as well.  I need a darker stain I think to make it look richer.  I don't want to use flooring over the wood because it makes too many layers and gets a bit bulky when adding tile etc in such a small scale.  That's just my opinion.  Any special brand of stain stick?   Thanks Kathie!

Yes, they are about the size of a magic marker. I like the Minwax brand. They come in pretty much all the same colors that the stain comes in. Here's a link to Amazon so you can see what it looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DI7ZK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496073129&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=minwax+stain+marker&dpPl=1&dpID=41OW4ShXVKL&ref=plSrch

3 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Kathie,  Are they like the size of magic markers?   I have to go to Ace hardware today to get some balsa wood strips and sanding block so I thought I would look for some stain material.  I use to use just craft paint and wipe it down but after I used real stain on my Fairfield there is no comparison.  The real stain makes the wood look much richer.  I am so glad that I did the real stain in my half scale.   Also,  the wood that the laser cut half scale Rosedale is really smooth but doesn't seem to absorb the stain as well.  I need a darker stain I think to make it look richer.  I don't want to use flooring over the wood because it makes too many layers and gets a bit bulky when adding tile etc in such a small scale.  That's just my opinion.  Any special brand of stain stick?   Thanks Kathie!

Yes, like magic markers. I have Minwax stain pens. They come in several shades, like the canned stain. You may want to get 3 or 4 and experiment with layering various shades. 

• Like 1

I sent Ray to the hardware for those stain sticks but he brought home a small can of stain.  He said the sticks were too expensive.  Oh well.   The rest of my list didn't happen either except for the stain and a roll of blue tape.  sigh......

I noticed the light oak stain that I used on my Fairfield does not sink into the smooth wood of the Rosewood laser cut.  I hope the darker walnut will look better.  
When I am able to get to the store myself I will look for the stain sticks.  I don't mind spending if it works well. 
Now I need help changing that blade on my Eazy cutter ultimate.    Later  Thanks Kathie and Holly

Hol, do you rob the paint store of all their paint chips???   :P

8 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

No, I find two of the larger chips or three of the smaller ones are plenty to do a floor, and I only take them 1) if I'm buying anyway and 2) if there is a full section of the color.  I used to ask, but the long-suffering staff at the hardware store told me to just get what I needed (I would still ask the first time).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

LOL ... a few chips go a long way. 

• Like 1

LOL   I get the long suffering hardware store people.  ha ha    They know me here also.   I might have to go take a look at paint chips next time.   I am always looking for the free paint samples!   :D

• 3 weeks later...