Do you see a future miniaturist?

Luanne

My 8 year old niece has made her first batch of mini clay food! 

I am super stoked that another family member also realizes the joy of this hobby.   I have 23 nieces + nephews and 1 great niece.  Out of the 60 people in the family, one might follow my foot steps.   When I show my work with my family, some express no opinion at all, others think it's impressive but no one has expressed interest to pick it up.  What a day!! 

• Like 7

It does feel good when a family member shows signs of "miniaturism".  My little granddaughter is four now, and has been drawn to minis since she could toddle.  She has a few dollhouses, and has helped prime the walls on her latest homemade wooden one.  She painted some wooden lamps for it, too.  She's no Rembrandt yet, but she certainly enjoyed participating in the prep work!  She has already told me that she could do with a few more dollhouses ...

My niece has two girls.  Unfortunately, we live very far apart, so I haven't seen nearly as much of them as I'd like to.  I made them a roombox, and a dollhouse.  Their paternal grandmother used to do miniatures and had many dollhhouses and roomboxes.  While they enjoyed them at a young age, they never asked to make anything themselves.  They are pre-teen now, and it may be that they will gravitate towards minis again when they are older - but for now, it's "been there, done that".

• Like 1

I hope that 'been there done that' feeling will not happen to me.  There are so many projects that I want to make.  My niece also lives far from me. Yeah for technology.

That sounds wonderful! My daughter is 30, single and not in a stage of life where she is interested in miniatures, but she looks for deals at flea markets for me and I really appreciate that. The interesting thing is that I donated a house for my school's PTO auction. I brought it to school and it was displayed in the lobby during the silent auction period. A mother and her daughter (she's 12 or 13 yrs. old) became interested in miniatures and I have been encouraging them! It is so much fun to share the enthusiasm with someone who understands!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2017, 1:56:30, Goldenrodfarm said:

Some people look at me like I am crazy when I mention miniatures, so I tend to not discuss it in public lol

9 hours ago, Jeannine said:

a closet miniaturist..now there's a phrase. I have found that if mentioning a house the first question "who is going to get it" when I answer it is mine I get some funny looks.

They do the same with me when I mention bigfoot. Oh well, each to his own, I guess. At least we all get each other here...

• Like 1

I am a retired MT ( hospital laboratory Medical Technologist), but also have a working farm, for extra money I bred cows for neighboring farms.  I was casually asked what I did that day while doing a cow and said it was hot, so I decided to work on my fairy house.  There was utter silence ( probably should be udder silence in this context lol) and then I was asked where I was going to get the fairies to populate it.  Since then I have been asked if the elves have moved in yet!  I just said if you build it they will come!  People around here think I am a little different anyway!

• Like 4

Barbara, pricless..can't stop laughing and I can see the scene as clear as a bell. We would get on I think, I am also described by my son in law as "different". He tells folks I have 1/12th scale eyes, then they peer at me without trying to be noticed.

• Like 2

I haven't had the weird reactions when I tell people I build dollhouses for adults to play with.  Maybe it's just that I've encountered people who think it's OK for adults to play with dollhouses, or maybe they just look at me and decide to keep their smarta** remarks to themselves.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017, 9:16:21, Goldenrodfarm said:

I am a retired MT ( hospital laboratory Medical Technologist), but also have a working farm, for extra money I bred cows for neighboring farms.  I was casually asked what I did that day while doing a cow and said it was hot, so I decided to work on my fairy house.  There was utter silence ( probably should be udder silence in this context lol) and then I was asked where I was going to get the fairies to populate it.  Since then I have been asked if the elves have moved in yet!  I just said if you build it they will come!  People around here think I am a little different anyway!

Oh my goodness!!! This must be the top reaction! 

• Like 1

Instead of saying I play with doll houses I tell people I'm a miniature hobbyist.   It is always exciting to talk to people who share the joy of minis.  Sadly the only person I have met was the lady I bought the McKinley from.  That is why I love this forum. 

• Like 1

I too am a retired person turned mini farmer. I live in a very rural area. I am always scouring the open air flea market (think garage sale only huge,) for things that can be re-purposed. I have a few sellers who now gather weird things like broken watches for gears and faces, single earrings and small creatures for me. I carry around a small photo book with some of the things, houses and displays I've made. While there is amazed responses the most often asked question is do you sell your stuff. The people who ask do not want it but feel I am loosing out on an income by not selling stuff. Working on mini's is what I do when I am not watering, feeding, breeding, hauling and all the other things that go with a small farm.

Recently I've been putting together mini displays for our county library. I am working on a Haunted Doll's House which is a refurbished vintage house I found at the flea market for $10. It comes complete with water marked wallpaper, dingy grimy floors and wallpaper, busted windows and wall cracks. It's proving to be a blast as there are so many new techniques I had to learn to get it the way I wanted it. It's 3 stories tall and was painted lavender. It's now almost covered with stones waiting for the last coat of mod podge. I've been making the creepy spooky residents since I can't find or afford the ones I want. A mini mini skeleton army (think plastic army guys repainted properly with silver swords and brown colored shields) protects the property and a traveling potion sellers has come to visit.

I would share photos but they say mine are too large.

Sara

• Like 1

Sara, I had that problem with pictures too, there are apps if you are on a tablet or programs if you are on a computer that will resize them for posting.  Your haunted house sounds like fun!  I envy you access to all those flea markets, not much around here in that nature!  

What do you have on your farm?

13 hours ago, Luanne said:

Aw! With the Miniature show held in Dallas one'd think you'd meet more of us there.  

I have never been to the show in Dallas.  It was too late when I found out about it but it is on my calendar for next year.  

30 minutes ago, Sara in the country said:

I too am a retired person turned mini farmer. I live in a very rural area. I am always scouring the open air flea market (think garage sale only huge,) for things that can be re-purposed. I have a few sellers who now gather weird things like broken watches for gears and faces, single earrings and small creatures for me. I carry around a small photo book with some of the things, houses and displays I've made. While there is amazed responses the most often asked question is do you sell your stuff. The people who ask do not want it but feel I am loosing out on an income by not selling stuff. Working on mini's is what I do when I am not watering, feeding, breeding, hauling and all the other things that go with a small farm.

Recently I've been putting together mini displays for our county library. I am working on a Haunted Doll's House which is a refurbished vintage house I found at the flea market for $10. It comes complete with water marked wallpaper, dingy grimy floors and wallpaper, busted windows and wall cracks. It's proving to be a blast as there are so many new techniques I had to learn to get it the way I wanted it. It's 3 stories tall and was painted lavender. It's now almost covered with stones waiting for the last coat of mod podge. I've been making the creepy spooky residents since I can't find or afford the ones I want. A mini mini skeleton army (think plastic army guys repainted properly with silver swords and brown colored shields) protects the property and a traveling potion sellers has come to visit.

I would share photos but they say mine are too large.

Sara

I can't wait to see your haunted house.  I am working on a witch house too.  I love Halloween and that has carried over into my dollhouses.  Use this link to resize your pictures  http://www.picresize.com/

• 4 months later...

Today I had two men here most of the day running a fiber optic cable from the main house to my carriage house so I could update my server. It did not go well, they hit several snags and spent a lot of time in my workroom which is where my computer is .By the end of the day one man approached  me about the various houses and related stuff that was there. He said he has a two year old daughter and after seeing my stuff he would like to build her a house. He went home with info about houses, this forum and a bag of plastic stuff that  was surplus to me. He said in his premarriage days he made model cars and missed making them but now he felt a house would be just as good and his daughter would have it. So I found us a new miniaturist today. Oh yes and I got my pooter workly quickly as it should. It was a good day

• Like 3