Aging effects

Icewolf

I'm looking for some articles about aging effects for the exterior of dolls houses. I'm currently working on a 24th scale Petite Properties Tudor style house and would like to make to make the outside and interior walls and ceilings look old and dirty, as I plan on making it into a witchy/fantasy cottage.

• Like 1

If the walls are painted, you could try a crackling product.  You first paint with a darker shade then apply the crackling product and then paint the walls again with a lighter color.  When it dries, the paint appears to be peeling.  This is a picture of an abandoned cabin that I made.  This isn't best example of how it works because it was the first time that I used it for the trim, but it gives you an idea.  You can buy it at craft stores or online at Amazon.

P1030733.JPG

• Like 1

You can also achieve aging with thin washes of paint. Use tones of gray, brown, green, etc. Apply sparingly and let dry, then add additional layers to get the look you want. Always let it dry thoroughly between applications to control the density. 

The railroad guys do it with pastels and chalk. Sand paint of edges/corners to show wear, rub/brush on the chalks in the apprpriate shade (they often come in earth tone sets). I am not sure about sealing it all. 

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

The railroad guys do it with pastels and chalk. Sand paint of edges/corners to show wear, rub/brush on the chalks in the apprpriate shade (they often come in earth tone sets). I am not sure about sealing it all. 

Use a spray sealant for sealing pastels, otherwise they will rub off.

Thanks, but I really do need some articles with pictures, so I can see how the techniques are applied and such. Please bear in mind, too that some products I might not be able to get hold of with being in the UK, so I need more information.

8 hours ago, Icewolf said:

Thanks, but I really do need some articles with pictures, so I can see how the techniques are applied and such. Please bear in mind, too that some products I might not be able to get hold of with being in the UK, so I need more information.

P3150069.JPG

On the Chrysnbon cook stove after I repainted it black with acrylic/ emulsion paint I dry brushed a bit of burnt sienna randomly here & there, then I grated a bit of brown & gray chalk pastels and brushed them over the areas I'd dry brushed.  By the way, I didn't seal them and they haven't rubbed off, but once the stove was in place I haven't handled it much.