Hello!

Thalia

Hi everybody--

I've done a little bit of miniature making in the last few years and joined to inspire me to make more, although I prefer playscale (1:6) to the usual scale.  I have (grand, pipe-dream) plans to make my old '70s GIJoe doll a Craftsman bungalow.  I'm an artist by trade and pretty artsy-craftsy so I plan to do it all myself (ha).  I've made a few things here and there so far, like a chair and a senet board (an ancient Egyptian board game) but haven't really known where to start on the whole thing.  I think now though I should start with just a room box, of his kitchen probably.

I chose the Arts and Crafts movement style because I was new to all this and it looked fairly simple and a good style for someone learning how to make something new.  It's gorgeously designed, but is for the most part nice simple square things put together at right angles, so I wouldn't be trying to carve (say) cabriolet legs or any of that. 

Also, miniatures just crack me up.  I made four 1/6 scale rolls of toilet paper today for Joe's house, and they are the funniest things I've ever seen, I swear.  That seems to me a good hobby to have. :D

I've got a blog for Joe called The House That Joe Built (though he/I haven't even started the thing yet).  Here's a pic of the Stickley cube chair I made him:

cc1.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the little family, Thalia.  Eventually I shall have to begin making living spaces for my 1:6 (& larger) people.  Did you make Joe's Fair Isle sweater?  Because I don't recall seeing that one available for him.  If so, you have formidable talent and your Craftsman chair amply demonstrates it!  We don't have very many members working in play scale, so you are doubly welcome on that account.

Gorgeous chair!  I agree that craftsman is a good place to start. The first piece of miniature wood furniture I made from scratch was a prairie sofa, because I could use strip wood cut to length and glue everything at right angles.  What makes your chair so special is the lovely designs you've painted on.  You've made it a real artisan piece!

It's mat board?  I totally missed that.  Now I've clicked on the blog, and I'm blown away!  I would never have guessed.  (And isn't One Inch Minis the best? I love her stuff.)  Even more spectacular.  And I love how Joe "helps."

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

havanaholly:  Yes, I did make Joe's sweater, out of a pair of socks (I certainly did not knit that myself!)  They're the perfect size for him--use one for the body of the sweater, and the other for the two sleeves.

MikeUK:  Yes, it's from layers of mat board.  I built it up to make the different thicknesses, e.g., the painted splats are two layers thick, the rails are four, and the posts/legs are six.  I left tenons in the thinner layers (like the rails) and cut mortises out of the inner layers of the thicker pieces (like the legs) before I glued all the layers together.  I also covered up the layered edges with a bit of card to smooth it out.  The bit about Joe finding it antiquing is just a bit of fun as if things were seen from Joe's point of view.

I had to look up the IGMA forum--my goodness, that's quite a compliment! Thank you.

eta: D'oh, I meant 'cabriole' legs, not 'cabriolet'--that's a convertible car!

Edited by Thalia

Thalia, you need to put the link to your blog in your signature line.  A painting tutorial on how you achieve such lovely in-scale woodgrain with paint on your mat board would also be nice; mortises & tenons in mat board?  THAT would also be interesting.

hi and nice to meet you, I love playing in 1/6 scale I have a few barbies that I love to play with, got em at the thrift store and cleaned them up perfectly almost back to brand new, I made a Joe coffee shop and a few scenes for my joe display (my husband runs an antique store and I have a toy room that I play around in so thats why I made the joe stuff) its not anything fancy I made it out of a box but it got me started.  I need to build some rooms for my barbies and brats dolls that I have on display I plan on putting a few ken dolls out too because I have gone overboard on dolls.  hope to see your house take shape soon and welcome to the forum :)

yes, I have 4 girl dolls and two boy dolls, the boys dont have pants so I have to make them and I have a motorcycle and a car for them (I think I may have two cars but Im not sure if it is a flava car but I do know that the blue convertable is a flavas car, the motorcycle has issues the kid that owned it did some damage to it but you dont notice it if you put the dolls on it.

I love the phot of Joe playing with the senet board on your blog, also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fabrics you used for the cushion and chair! [ Bit of a fabricholic here ]

Hey Thalia

I felt bad for Joe so I went to pintrest to get him some boots, I used it to make shoes for my ken dolls because buying them shoes was not cost effective..here is a link for  boots I hope this helps you and beware, they have tons of clothing tutorials that I got hooked on too

Hugs

Marisa