Glencroft--space next to fireplace?

uppitycats

I've been inspecting my Glencroft (bought for $25 off Craigslist).  It basically is the frame.  The second floor fireplace -- what is the space next to the fireplace?  I see that the hearth extends into that space.  Is that for wood storage? My husband thought it would make a good closet -- hang your clothes in there, and they'd dry with the heat!  :)    Anyone know what the purpose is for that?

• Like 1

I believe it is meant to be a rustic space for firewood. 

I walled mine up and installed a more victorian "upgrade" to that 2nd floor room.

I am assuming it is, in theory, like this more modern version - with a wood cabinet/storage area:

http://www.braxtonpayne.com/FireplacesPages/FIREPLACES_n%20e%20country.htm

Either way, it seems a very rustic and country way to keep that upper floor heated in the winter time.

Have fun!

I believe it is for wood storage.  I saw real versions of this when I was house-hunting last year.  My Glencroft is currently on hold, but I was trying to figure out to reconfigure it to make it a secret passage between the first and second floors.

• Like 2

It is an odd shape...I always felt like some trim was missing.I think I have seen finished Glencrofts with trim added and it looks good the way they finished it, but mine always looked odd. So I covered it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm currently building the Glencroft, and that space is indeed designated "woodbox". I decided to turn mine into a closet, but the odd angle of the top meant placing a rod for the curtain challenging. Marina, I love your idea of beads as a curtain!  I don't think it would work in my house, but it's got me thinking outside the box!

Would it make what is known in England as the airing closet, usually adjacent to the fire when the old cast iron fireplaces where still in houses, there was a cupboard next to the fireplace which had shelving in. Clothes were put in there to "air off" if still damp from the ironing, sheets etc. I used to get my PJs from the one I remember it was a .long long time ago but I still remember how warm and cosy they were.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I don't see why not.  You might want to square the opening and build a box with shelves to fit inside before you make & hinge a door for it.

I wouldn't square it off. I love oddly shaped doors on "secret" cupboards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

It could be a conversion from woodbox to airing cupboard.

Right ... but it could be an airing cupboard with an oddly shaped door, couldn't it? 

I would leave the odd shaped door for sure.

We had an odd shaped door that covered over the  underneath of our stairs in the Uk. During the war when the planes came across I would be put in that cupboard in a bed on the  floor, LOL it wasn't a Harry Potter invention.

I meant with the odd-shaped door; I plead being on the road and motel coffee (blagh!).

4 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...During the war when the planes came across I would be put in that cupboard in a bed on the  floor, LOL it wasn't a Harry Potter invention.

I believe that was common practice and probably where JK Rowling got the idea.