Glencroft rehab blog

uppitycats

So now that I've got my username, number of posts and past pictures all reconnected...and I've relearned how to resize pictures to fit what's necessary here....I've started a blog on my Glencroft rehab.  While I didn't work on it today, I did on Wednesday, doing an inventory, pulling off loose pieces, and trying not to burn the place down with a heat gun and scraper, getting rid of the horrid hot glue.  Only burnt one finger in the process!  :)     I don't know that I'll get to work on the house every day ... I've still got lots of health issues to deal with, and am pretty slow these day!...but I'll try to keep posting as I do something new worth noting!  :)   So if you're interested...check it out.  

Glencroft face (2).JPG

Glencroft front.JPG

• Like 1

Ice is your friend for burns, because the burn will continue inward if you don't nip it in the bud (so to speak); five minutes is enough, then off & on until the discomfort goes away.

10 hours ago, Khadi said:

I learned the painful way that if I keep my metal scraper where I'm blowing the hot air, it gets really hot and scrapes the glue off easier. :)

Oooh, hard lesson learned. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Khadi, I'm sorry for your burns, but that really is a good idea!  I found a couple more seams of hot glue I missed, and will be tackling them tomorrow.  I'll try the hot spatula idea.

Kathie and Ann- Thanks.  It actually was just a very minor finger burn, but thanks for both of your concerns.  Learning about how well it works was worth it.  I just used it this afternoon when I realized that I had glued the side of my stairs a 1/4 off in my Beacon Hill that I'm working on.  I was able to save the stair side with minimal damage to it or the wall.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a Glencroft for $75, it was built fairly well, but all the plastic windows were smashed and there was some damage to one end--some pieces of the half-timbering broken off. It was wired but only two of the lights work, so I need to tackle that next. Luckily almost all of the shingles are there! I did cover the exterior of the fireplace with stones set in spackle (an idea I read about here), and also made a stone living room fireplace.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking that I might brick some of the outside walls of my Glencroft, too.  I found a bunch of bricks left over from my Brookwood chimney, enough I think to brick at least the one side wall, and maybe along the bottom.  Doing the stone chimney is a good idea too...I've got some small pebbles that will work...   I'm a long way from that right now, though..working on painting the inside, and papering some walls...

I've entered two new posts on my Glencroft blog.  I've got plenty of tiny pebbles just in my back yard to use for the chimney, and for the fireplace.  There's lots of gravel here, some just grey stone, some various "rock" colors.  But I have to get away from my computer and work on my house, now!  :)