Staining Roof Shingles

Beulah

I have stained my shingles RGT Reddish Brown.  They turned out Reddy Orange.  Now what can I do, to make them more of a brown, could I stain them once they are all on, or just buy new ones.  I am afraid they will be too dark if I retain them :(

I think walnut would be too brown/too dark.  What about a driftwood stain (brownish gray)?  I don't know whether that would help tone down the orange, like ash brown can tone down hair color that's too reddish.

• Like 1

Try rinsing them several times. Like. soaking in a bucket full of water for a bit, dumping it all out and doing It again. The first time I used that same shingle dye, it turned my shingles Cheeto orange. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and bleached, and finally they were a bit lighter. Not wanting to throw them out, I used a rinse of RIT dye in brown, then when they were glued in place, sanded them lightly. It was huge waste of time, money, and water, IMO.  

• Like 1

Well the more I looked at them, the more I hated them, so I took them off, and ordered new ones.  I spent too much time to have an ugly roof lol.  Now I have to figure out what to use instead of the shingle dye.  I guess RIT dye would work, that was a good idea 

55 minutes ago, Beulah said:

...Now I have to figure out what to use instead of the shingle dye.  I guess RIT dye would work, that was a good idea 

I, myself, prefer to color my wood shingles with wood stain; but that's just me.  I have also used well-watered down acrylic paint to stain shingles.

• Like 2