Stir stick hardwood question

MrsXandamere

I'm going to be doing my first stir stick hardwood floor (before it was just score and stain) and I'm doing small samples with different stains to see what I like. But all my samples have warped so far! I've been using wood glue to secure the sticks to card stock and letting them dry overnight before staining. Both urethane and water based stains have caused my samples to curve. I was hoping to do the floor on Bristol board and then glue that down into the house, but now I'm worried that will warp too! Do you guys glue your hardwoods straight into the house floor, or glue paper down first, or what? I don't want to ruin it! 

I have done it both ways, and had no trouble.  I use Titebond glue and then place something heavy on top of the floor when I am done gluing them.  Hope this helps a little 

• Like 1

After gluing, I cover them with either wax paper, parchment paper or freezer wrapping paper then put a book on top of them, big enough to cover the area, then I place heavy food cans on top of the book to put some extra weight on the book to keep them flat.  The wax paper helps prevent the glue from sticking to the book if some glue seeps up through the cracks.

I used the Elmer's Wood glue with no problem. I think the secret is to pre-stain the pieces so the sides are stained and then a heavy weight on top as the glue dries. I used a bag of pennies.

Lise, I think I got the wrong Elmer's because I don't think the one I have is waterproof, just water resistant. Maybe that's the problem? Either way I'll be doing some tests on scrap wood before diving into the house proper! 

One of the reasons I now use the iron-on wood veneer edging and go through the process of cutting it into boards is that ironing it directly onto the pre-stained floor eliminates the need to weigh it down (I used my old Nursing textbooks for that).  Then I can stain it and give it the rub down with crumpled paper bag.

Weight it down, and make sure whatever you are gluing to is not white but has been colored the same as your floor. Otherwise you'll see little white stripes between your boards, no matter how tight together you think you've glued them.  Also, you'll need to do a lot of surface sanding after the glue has dried. Stir sticks are a little uneven in thickness and the floor will be a little rough. 

As said above!  Make sure you stain/paint/color whatever you are glued g to, it is near impossible to get into those areas - this I know from experience!

gkung veneer edges as a floor, my favorite floor ever