Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hi!

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! My name is Cindy and I live in the low country of SC. I was a designer in the floral industry for years, I now design interior and exterior commercial/residential Christmas decor. 

I am brand new to the dollhouse world and miniatures. I was scouring through Craigslist and I saw a dollhouse, with my mind ALWAYS thinking Christmas I couldn't get this house out of my thoughts as Santa's house. When I went to see it I was done, a 80 year old lady owned it and has worked on it for 27 years (that's love and devotion!)! I bought it and brought it home with a variety of furniture pieces with it. Both of my teenagers and my husband looked at me like I was crazy when I had them to set it on my dining room table. I have no idea who the manufacturer is, some of the furniture is cute, some not so much, but I intend to use as much as possible because the lady that had it had put so much time and love into it. My daughter who teased me when I brought it home, I works on it as much as I do, what started as a project for me is now becoming a project that we are doing together and neither of us can walk by it without sitting down and working on it. I am going to post a picture in another thread to see if anyone knows who it is by. I look forward to reading tips and ideas from you all as we are learning and gathering as much information as we can, because...well we've decided Santa's house can't be alone, we are looking the perfect house 2 for the elves workshop :eek:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Cindy. So glad your here. This is such a GREAT Place for all information. These wonderful people seem to know everything there is to know about the how to's of dollhouseing!!

I to also worked in the flower industry for many many years. And still work part time for the big holidays. 

I saw your picture of your house!! WOW...It's Beautiful. I myself don't know the name of it or who made it...But soon enough someone here will have an answer for you. 

Welcome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Cindy. :wave:

Welcome to the forums.. Beware, this hobby is a rabbit hole that's hard to climb out of....  And nobody here will ever try to talk you out of a second house. :D


 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the little family, Cindy.  A lifetime (or more) ago we lived in the Piedmont, and the eldest son just moved his brood from Charleston to Atlanta.  When you have made five posts you can make an album of your Rutherford and the work y'all are doing on it.  Greenleaf's Sugarplum or Aster would make a cute elves' house.  Easy to Make Dollshouse Accessories by Andrea Barham has a chapter on rehabbing the cheap dollar store furniture to make it look nice; your library may have a copy, or can get one for you to check out.  I find that the old wide polyester neckties from the 1970s make terrific upholstery for dollhouse furniture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cyn-AK said:

Welcome Cindy. So glad your here. This is such a GREAT Place for all information. These wonderful people seem to know everything there is to know about the how to's of dollhouseing!!

I to also worked in the flower industry for many many years. And still work part time for the big holidays. 

I saw your picture of your house!! WOW...It's Beautiful. I myself don't know the name of it or who made it...But soon enough someone here will have an answer for you. 

Welcome!!

Thank you so much! I miss working with fresh and I miss the daily interactions with clients, but I do not miss weddings lol! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Cindy.  A lifetime (or more) ago we lived in the Piedmont, and the eldest son just moved his brood from Charleston to Atlanta.  When you have made five posts you can make an album of your Rutherford and the work y'all are doing on it.  Greenleaf's Sugarplum or Aster would make a cute elves' house.  Easy to Make Dollshouse Accessories by Andrea Barham has a chapter on rehabbing the cheap dollar store furniture to make it look nice; your library may have a copy, or can get one for you to check out.  I find that the old wide polyester neckties from the 1970s make terrific upholstery for dollhouse furniture.

Thank you for the wonderful tips! Neckties is a great idea! 

Charleston is our weekend runaway! We are there often. If I ever moved to Charleston it would be hard to make me leave, it's so beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Samusa said:

Hi Cindy. :wave:

Welcome to the forums.. Beware, this hobby is a rabbit hole that's hard to climb out of....  And nobody here will ever try to talk you out of a second house. :D


 

 

Thank you! You're not kidding, we have been sucked in, lol! It is impossible to walk past it and not do something to it :bigwink:. A second house is definitely coming but I told my daughter we had to get this one done first or at least well on its way, do you ever really get done? I can see me adding treasures and finds for years lol!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LowcountryBelle said:

...A second house is definitely coming but I told my daughter we had to get this one done first or at least well on its way, do you ever really get done? I can see me adding treasures and finds for years lol!

Done?  What's that?  I actually  play with my houses (oh, many more than one), so I'm at least swapping out or adding furniture an/ or accessories, people, etc.  I believe we established long ago that there need not be a "done" to a dollhouse.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LowcountryBelle said:

do you ever really get done? 

Ummm.. No :giggle:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello to all and thank y'all for making me feel so welcomed! I was afraid this is something that will never get "done" lol! I had no time to work on it today and I swear it's beckoning me to the dining room...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't freak out when it starts to call your name and speaks to you; you have simply won its confidence.  Do as it tells you and it will be beautiful.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

They call to you, but never talk back.  

So true! They are little Sirens.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0