Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

$20,000! Um, no. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antique-Hand-Hewn-Half-Cape-doll-house-Marked-AI-i-On-bottom-Beam-/182217173598?hash=item2a6cfd6a5e:g:JT8AAOSwaB5Xk8wc

16 hours ago, minilover62 said:

Yeah, that's half scale. Funny, the sink unit is very similar to one I have: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=7890

Check out the countertop, it's exactly the same. I figured mine was scratch built (I bought it at a show, I was told it had belonged to someone who moved to a nursing home and her kids were selling off her stuff). But maybe not? They're too similar to be a coincidence.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fov said:

Yeah, that's half scale. Funny, the sink unit is very similar to one I have: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=7890

Check out the countertop, it's exactly the same. I figured mine was scratch built (I bought it at a show, I was told it had belonged to someone who moved to a nursing home and her kids were selling off her stuff). But maybe not? They're too similar to be a coincidence.

This seller I believe that buys state items, and he is at the other side of the country, maybe both counters belong to kitchen sets available long ago.

The bedroom set is gorgeous, I have never seen this dresser in half scale.

I wonder how many nasty comments she got about the price. I spoke to an owner of an antique store once about the insulting comments she got when she listed a dollhouse. Not really knowing any better concerning how to price it, she posted it to test the market. She was inundated with the meanest comments and was forced to take it down.  She said only one person offered a kind suggestion of what the asking price should be. She said she will never try to sell a dollhouse again.

I get the concept of testing the market, but the fact that they were so quick to drop from $20k to $500 tells me they had no basis to ask $20k. That's a lot of money no matter what you're buying, so to ask that without a basis for it gives me the impression that they were hoping to snare a sucker. I could be totally wrong, but I can't think of another motivation for sticking such a huge price tag on something without doing their homework first.

Still, it's a shame if people get nasty comments. I think it's harmless for us to giggle about it, but of course if I were to reach out to the seller I'd try to be tactful. (Then again, I don't think I would ever reach out to a seller about price. To correct an error in the listing or offer insight/history on the item, I would.)

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I'm not sure about the $20,000, but I think the house is worth more than $500. The pictures are dark, but if you look at how that house is made, with opening windows and the interior and all, it looks like it was very labor intensive to make. I don't think that house is just a piece of folk art that someone cobbled together. I think it's a really well made house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure about the $20,000, but I think the house is worth more than $500. The pictures are dark, but if you look at how that house is made, with opening windows and the interior and all, it looks like it was very labor intensive to make. I don't think that house is just a piece of folk art that someone cobbled together. I think it's a really well made house.

It has some wonderful details. The photos are too dark. I wonder why the $20,000 original price...odd. Ceilings seem low in some shots but I love the old new england fireplace vibe.

ok I looked at the photos again --the attic space is huge and a little odd. And they have a shipping cost listed but say in description the buyer is responsible for freight, etc.?? 

Its a strange but charming (the downstairs) house that seems to mean a lot to someone. Or meant a lot.

I'd consider adoption at a price much lower than $500... but I agree that a lot of work has gone into it and it has some charm but that attic is kinda creepy. Haunted house anyone?

I have the feeling that house is a representation of how older cabins were built back in the 1700s. That would be why the ceilings seem so low. If that was built 1:12, then the ceilings are probably only about 7 - 8 inches high. It would also have not been built with a plan in mind, so that would also explain the weird attic. People just built for shelter in the old days. And that fireplace is in the kitchen, not the living room. I think the room with the plaster is their formal front room.

I wonder if there is any provenance on this house.

Jenn, don't get it because of what I think of the house, but if you do want it, I'd wait for a while and then make a low offer, especially if the seller can't provide any provenance with the house besides the signature on the bottom. You can always go up. But I doubt that house will sell for $500 and the seller may get a little desperate after a while if it hasn't sold.

Yes, I think it's worth more than $500, but that doesn't mean I'd buy it for $500. Personally, I wouldn't go over $200 and $100 to $150 is even better. But that's just my opinion. A lot depends on how much you want the house and what you plan to do with it. Me, I'd get it and then put it up for auction somewhere. A real auction, not on eBay.

It'd have to be a bargain. I really like the rustic fireplace vibe...I have a NE Farmhouse that I love with similar old fireplaces. But it'd have to be a bargain....like $100 and shipping of $57.

I really wouldn't go over that - as I am not in love with the house. But I am in like with it.

That said, I already have a better version in my collection - and I really don't need another one.

9 hours ago, minilover62 said:

That's an Artply Santa's House or something. It's very small. I think it's about the size of the old Bobbi house and smaller than the Arthur. That's a great price, but the shipping for me is $18. That's a kit I wouldn't spend over $20 on, so the extra for shipping is more than I'd want to pay.

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

That's an Artply Santa's House or something. It's very small. I think it's about the size of the old Bobbi house and smaller than the Arthur. That's a great price, but the shipping for me is $18. That's a kit I wouldn't spend over $20 on, so the extra for shipping is more than I'd want to pay.

looks like it is going to be taken

This is a rare dollhouse, beautiful window frames, already looks like perfect for a high end restaurant or store, needs a lot work but it is FREE!!!!!