Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

3 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Oh I like that idea.

Dang, you're fast! That post wasn't up there for 5 minutes before I decided to make it into a thread. LOLOL

3 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

You mean besides the price tag? :D 

I actually looked at it this morning, but E&T make their houses out of fiberboard and I'd far prefer wood. Also, the only way to view that house would be from the back or to take the front off. Now if I had my choice, I'd have the two side walls open for the front rooms and attach the front permanently. I'd also take down the hallway wall between the living room and the entry, so that could be seen.

.Otherwise, it is almost an ideal house. In the back I'd have a big kitchen, a large panty (instead of a fireplace), and a laundry room (it's an updated saltbox) and the front rooms could be a dining room and living room. Upstairs, I'd take out the hallway divider and make the back rooms accessible to the hallway, and that would give me two bedrooms, a bath, and a library. Plus a full attic on top. The only thing missing from my list would be a sunroom and a front porch, and I suppose I could add a porch.

Besides, it needs 19 windows! And the rooms may not be all that big. It's 35" W, take say, 8" away for the center hall and your two front rooms are probably 14" x 12". And will a 24" D house fit through a standard doorway?

43 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Dang, you're fast! That post wasn't up there for 5 minutes before I decided to make it into a thread. LOLOL

I actually looked at it this morning, but E&T make their houses out of fiberboard and I'd far prefer wood. Also, the only way to view that house would be from the back or to take the front off. Now if I had my choice, I'd have the two side walls open for the front rooms and attach the front permanently. I'd also take down the hallway wall between the living room and the entry, so that could be seen.

.Otherwise, it is almost an ideal house. In the back I'd have a big kitchen, a large panty (instead of a fireplace), and a laundry room (it's an updated saltbox) and the front rooms could be a dining room and living room. Upstairs, I'd take out the hallway divider and make the back rooms accessible to the hallway, and that would give me two bedrooms, a bath, and a library. Plus a full attic on top. The only thing missing from my list would be a sunroom and a front porch, and I suppose I could add a porch.

Besides, it needs 19 windows! And the rooms may not be all that big. It's 35" W, take say, 8" away for the center hall and your two front rooms are probably 14" x 12". And will a 24" D house fit through a standard doorway?

I have an awesome 1910 stye four square dollhouse that doesn't fit through standard interior doorways. It can only live in a room off the front door, or the basement. Tragic! But I love that house. It is HUGE with two open sides and a hinged side hall opening.

15 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Hi.  I made the Lyndeburgh in half scale and it might be worth checking with Earth and Tree on the wood versus fiberboard issue.  In my half scale only the floors were fiberboard and the rest was wood.  I do think E&T are a bit pricey but they are very good quality.

It would be hard to hinge the sides to open out, but on the Lyndeborough both the front and back are detachable so you have access to the rear.  E&T recommends using friction closures (I used magnets) to hold them in place.  I would probably hinge them instead if I were to make it again.

Let's see if I can manage to upload a couple of photos.  They will gives a better idea of the layout of the back of the house if I can get photos to work.

I think it worked!  I hope the pictures aren't too big.

These are from when the house was still a work in progress.  Note that I only moved the positions of a couple of doorways.   I am a complete amateur and wasn't confident enough to try bashing my very first house.  I had enough problems with the darn magnets!

I haven't got around to taking pictures of the finished house yet but it is intended to look circa 1716.   These floors were just failed prototypes and were not installed.  I am rather proud of the colonial inglenook fireplace I made from scratch with polymer clay though.  IMG_0295.thumb.JPG.dc3144abb1d0f34fd587759550d73ece9c_IMG_0296(1).thumb.JPG.bd95

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nell said:

I made the Lyndeburgh in half scale and it might be worth checking with Earth and Tree on the wood versus fiberboard issue.

I had the same thought.  I am working on E&T's Merrimack in half scale, and it is also wood.  However, when you go to E&T's site, they specifically say that their one-inch houses are made of fiberboard with wood floors only.  I'd love to see more photos of your Lyndeborough when you are able to take some.

12 minutes ago, minilover62 said:

1 thousand in less than one hour

I am sorry, but I just can't see paying that much for dollhouse furniture.  I have a hard time spending over $100 on one item.   Gerald Crawford must be one famous artist to fetch that kind of money. To me, it looks like House of Miniatures kit.

The starting price was $700

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

...To me, it looks like House of Miniatures kit.

Not from where I sit; and Ferd Sobol's pieces are just as fine.

This miniature world is so fascinating that we can see a magnificent house with a low price that doesn't sale for even half of a grand, and then this piece is going to grab it! 

I think I have seen one of this pieces at my local store and is not for sale because it has missing drawers, so it is not a OOAK piece.

47 minutes ago, minilover62 said:

This Highboy chest is going to fetch almost 1 thousand in less than one hour!!!:eek:http://www.ebay.com/itm/292160015041?ul_noapp=true

That is funny...I had been watching this auction for what I thought was a lovely Highboy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/dollhouse-miniature-dresser-/182623002196

$16.

Lol!!! I actually like it more than the handmade one...I dunno...I think it is the drawers. Though I realize the seashell detailing on the other chest is perfection. But the drawers are a little off for me. Wow - $1000.

26 minutes ago, minilover62 said:

It sold for $970, CRAZY!

And I think I spend too much sometimes...turns out I don't. I'm not saying that was too much to pay for it - the turnings looked lovely. I just don't have the time or the dollhouse to cherish such things. I collect/enjoy at a different level I guess. I think I am more of a nostalgia/collage type collector - enjoying a jumble of things. I am impressed with the folks who collect little artworks and can enjoy them.

• Like 1

Nell, thank you so much for posting those pics. Now I sort of wish you hadn't - I'm pining for the Lyndeborough all over again. LOL I was going to move the center walls back to make the kitchen a wee bit larger, then use the fireplace opening for the pantry and the little room to the right as a laundry room. And that would still give me a hunking large kitchen, dining, and living room, all on the first floor.

I'd also love to see more pictures and I tell you what, Earth and Tree would probably love it is you sent them some pics to put on their site. I notice they really don't have any of that house.

I also wanted to say I really like how you are doing your house. The beams are awesome and so is your fireplace! Yes, definitely more pics! Do you have an album here for your Lyndeborough yet? How do you see the attic and is it a huge pain to take off the back and front to get at the inside?

7 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I am sorry, but I just can't see paying that much for dollhouse furniture.  I have a hard time spending over $100 on one item.   Gerald Crawford must be one famous artist to fetch that kind of money. To me, it looks like House of Miniatures kit.

Artisans like Gerald Crawford do command those prices. You would see the difference between this highboy and the other that sold for $15.00 if you saw them in person. There is no way I could afford his highboy but I do appreciate and love looking at it and works of other artisans at this level of expertise.I found this written from back in the late 1980s.

"Crawford, the official miniaturist of the Winterthur Museum and Gardens in Delaware, creates furniture that not only looks authentic but employs construction and decorative details found in full-size originals: hand-turned chair legs, dove-tailed drawers and petit point upholstery.

Tiny Grandfather Clock

"Gerald built a grandfather clock last year that actually runs," said Eleanor LaVove, curator and director of the museum.

"He didn't think he'd sell many of them; then 22 were sold at $2,000 or more each. They're expensive, but they're truly collector's items."

1 minute ago, 1martinimomma said:

So sorry I screwed up.  I am a newbie, please excuse my ignorance. I will not post on these kind of posts again.  My apologies to those I offended.

I wouldn't pay that either, but now a Granville, you might get my toes tappin' Colleen, Im fairly certain you didn't offend anyone, art is in the eye of the beholder and their pocket book. =)

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

So sorry I screwed up.  I am a newbie, please excuse my ignorance. I will not post on these kind of posts again.  My apologies to those I offended.

Aww, Colleen. Don't feel bad. I hope no one was offended, and I don't think anyone was.

I'm with you, and to be honest, when I worked in the miniatures shop I didn't see too many people who WOULD pay that for such a thing. I don't care whose name was on it. *shrug*

But it's like my grandpa used to always say : "We can't all like the same things, or everyone would be after your grandma!" 

The variety of collectors and what they like and don't like is part of what makes this hobby interesting. :)

*hugs*

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

Don't feel bad, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and yes, very often it is hard to see a difference between cheap and expensive, especially from photos. I get that in real life too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1martinimomma said:

You didn't screw up and I wasn't offended. It's just there are reasons why one was $15 and the other one over $900. That's all.

• Like 1

Three really interesting vintage houses on the Colorado Craigslist!

00N0N_gkIImolqPSK_600x450.jpg

https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/6183474295.html

I love these Dollie Domiciles houses, but she's right - I've not seen many of them built. It's a MONSTER! If I didn't already have a Pepperwood Farm (also a monster house) I would be really, really tempted. :)

And two more pretty interesting ones too -

https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/6183480993.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/6183464008.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I was right there with you - it looked like a HOM kit to me, too (except for the turnings which were indeed better- but I can't afford $1000 turnings, so...). I can't see anyone being offended...ok, so maybe Gerald would be upset that we can't see the $1000 of effort (even though I know it is there), but he doesn't move in our circles, m'dear. Lol. Also, it was a welcome topic...we should be able to discuss these things. I agree re: eye of the beholder (and their pocketbook).

• Like 1

I find the price on this a bit..."optimistic"?!?  Uh...it is the same image tiled and glued into a box...$99??!?!? What am I missing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Griffonfeathers said:

Three really interesting vintage houses on the Colorado Craigslist!

00N0N_gkIImolqPSK_600x450.jpg

https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/6183474295.html

I love these Dollie Domiciles houses, but she's right - I've not seen many of them built. It's a MONSTER! If I didn't already have a Pepperwood Farm (also a monster house) I would be really, really tempted. :)

And two more pretty interesting ones too -

https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/6183480993.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/6183464008.html

Now that's interesting. It looks like the houses are all being sold by the same person. They went to all the trouble to crate them up for a move and are now selling them.