Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

20 hours ago, fov said:

I impulse bought them, but now that I'm doing the math, I'm not sure how they can be half scale? The packaging says each step is 3/16" and the steps reach a ceiling height of 3". I think Houseworks 1:24 steps are 5/16", ceiling height is typically 5". So I think these are 1:48.

The packaging doesn't seem to list a scale (at least, it's not in the photos). I saw another set like this on Etsy recently that was also listed as 1:24 so now I'm curious what I'm going to end up with! (Miniature Lumber Shoppe is an old brand and I've seen their kits in both half scale and quarter scale, but it usually says right on the front which scale it is.)

Even if they are quarter scale, I'm sure I'll find a use for them! I like that the steps are individual so you can glue them together in a different configuration than just a straight staircase.

It is also confusing the way the manufacturer put the 3" measurement pointing to the middle of the stairs when it is actually the entire height.

I love a good 3 inch ceiling for 1:48. 

24 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I think we have had posts from that site before.  They play pretty fast & loose with their captions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-scale-OOAK-bungalow-dollhouse-with-furnishings-was-featured-in-2-magazines/132280694892

This is Grahzina's bungalow on ebay and I love it and I wish I could have it!! Why am I not able to drive to Maine?!? Everything is done as I would have wanted it to be done...it is so perfect and charming to me.

I love it extra because it reminds me of one of my favorite books:

img_8265.jpg

29290._UY413_SS413_.jpg

On 8/22/2017, 3:33:39, Elsbeth said:

It looks worse than the one I got for 60.00, which included 10 HIM furniture kits and a few other pieces of furniture

6 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Well this is too pricey for me, but I love the door under the stairs.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/520030115/dollhouse-112-scale-miniature-hand

That's the effect I want to achieve with the Beacon Hill staircase. Sturdy, yet light and airy,

6 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I cannot wait to see your BH!

Neither me! The BH is in storage in GA, along with the pottery shop and the Halloween Hangout, the supplies have disappeared into cardboard cartons, and the rest of the houses are chanting, "So get moved already so you can get back to work!"

16 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

It ships from Hong Kong!  Anyone ever get something from there?  Maybe it's unjustified, but I have always been a bit leary of buying stuff from overseas...

33 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

It ships from Hong Kong!  Anyone ever get something from there?  Maybe it's unjustified, but I have always been a bit leary of buying stuff from overseas...

17 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Sorry this quote didn't work correctly so I just pasted the info in here.

My answer:

JoMed used a staircase like that from overseas. She customized it for her Arsenic and Old Lace build. There are more pictures of it throughout her album.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, when will you close on the GA house?  This is so exciting!

Closing next week, 8/31. Actually move scheduled for 9/21. Figuring I'll be a Georgia peach by 10/1.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I've gotten some of the overseas ebay items (China, Russia) - I look for sellers with the best ratings and prices and it has worked out fine. 

I have also gotten items from places like South Africa, Ukraine, Greece, UK, China, Japan, Thailand, Australia,Canada, Argentina and a few more countries from Europe and Asia and I haven't had a single problem: what I have had is lots of savings. I recommend caution with Italy since some merchants sometimes can't guarantee that the items will get here safely. I can't recall right now which other country has the same issues about safety.

I ordered some little white dishes from overseas.  Can't remember the vender.  Anyway they showed up in pieces.  I emailed the vender, and was sent a replacement.   Well a month later the post office delivered the PACKAGE, nothing else.  Emailed the vender again.  Within a week I had the replacement dishes.  I leaning toward the USPS , not the vender as the problem 

On 8/23/2017, 3:28:53, Elsbeth said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-scale-OOAK-bungalow-dollhouse-with-furnishings-was-featured-in-2-magazines/132280694892

This is Grahzina's bungalow on ebay and I love it and I wish I could have it!! Why am I not able to drive to Maine?!? Everything is done as I would have wanted it to be done...it is so perfect and charming to me.

I love it extra because it reminds me of one of my favorite books:

img_8265.jpg

29290._UY413_SS413_.jpg

I live in Maine, but at the opposite end, Kennebunkport is about 5 hours away!  

When I buy stuff from the orient, it seems to make it to the US pretty quickly. The packages seem to stall out when they reach customs in SF. Just be sure the vendor provides tracking numbers and you should be okay.

I mailed a mini donation package to a friend in Canada who is working on an auction build for her daughter's school. That took over 2 weeks in spite of paying $24 in shipping to get there. You just never know...

I buy from Asian vendors all the time.. the postage takes forever, but it's free.. and for me that's a huge benefit given that when I purchase from the USA the postage is nearly always at least double the cost of the actual item. If I've ever had a problem (which was rarely) they have either sent a new item or given me a refund.. Even for items broken in the post. Can't expect anything more than that. 

I would just say remember you get what you pay for... it's hardly going to be artisan quality if you pay 99 cents with free shipping... :D  Some things are surprisingly nice though.