Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

4 hours ago, fov said:

And on the other end of the price spectrum... "Craftsman built" - isn't this a Dura-Craft kit? Appraised at $5,500

It also is being sold as new. The roofing in the back is either a "new technique" called slapping on or done by someone without learning how to do it.

5 hours ago, jrchob said:

It also is being sold as new. The roofing in the back is either a "new technique" called slapping on or done by someone without learning how to do it.

I was looking at the shingles - it seems like there are different kinds? Straight shingles on the tower and fishscale on the front of the house, and then I don't know what that is on the back. Those look out of scale to me, like the shingles someone would put on a real life birdhouse or house-shaped mailbox. But maybe they are just slapped on top of each other so they look built up.

I really wonder about that appraisal claim. Do people just make up stuff like that to make the house seem valuable? (In which case, of course, buyer beware!) Or did someone with credentials actually appraise that house at $5,500?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fov said:

I was looking at the shingles - it seems like there are different kinds? Straight shingles on the tower and fishscale on the front of the house, and then I don't know what that is on the back. Those look out of scale to me, like the shingles someone would put on a real life birdhouse or house-shaped mailbox. But maybe they are just slapped on top of each other so they look built up.

I really wonder about that appraisal claim. Do people just make up stuff like that to make the house seem valuable? (In which case, of course, buyer beware!) Or did someone with credentials actually appraise that house at $5,500?!

I really doubt that anybody appraised that house, I went I step forward and wrote to this seller about what I see, including the fact that it is also unfinished (look at the porch floor and I think the front door doesn't even have a handle), plus the furniture is also pretty common, not expensive. And it is pretty dusty. I had to do it because I would hate anybody falling for this so wrongly advertised item.

On the other hand, the lovers of 1/4" scale have 2 goodies to consider: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-kit-1-4-scale/322901499275?hash=item4b2e6ddd8b:g:tEMAAOSwnw9aGBHF

and this almost gone forever Picket Hill combo...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pickett-Hill-KIT-By-Suzanne-Andrew-s-1-4-Inch-Scale-Dollhouse-Miniature/112649338395?hash=item1a3a6c7e1b:g:Il8AAOSwB4BaEwxG 

13 hours ago, Samusa said:

A free tower house... someone get it please!! :D 

That Duracraft is a Victorian Mansion.. they show up on EBay regularly for nothing like that price. That seller needs to do some research. :rolleyes:

Oh that pooor sad tower house. If I lived there, I’d grab that baby in a heartbeat and take it home and remove that filth and make it what it should be.

On 11/21/2017, 10:26:21, 1martinimomma said:

Susie, I am so excited.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it this morning.  I didn't really want to pay that much, but what's a girl to do!  This one is a keeper for me, like the BH and the San Fran.  By the way, I have finished my SanFran 555, so I needed something to work on for this year.  Looking forward to getting started on her.  This is my first Artply house, so it will be a new endeavor for me.  

Oh Colleen I can only imagine! I can’t wait to see the progress and journey towards completion! I haven’t had time to work on my own homes and am looking forward to some down time to be able to do some mini building! Please keep an album of the progress!

7 hours ago, fov said:

Any one who buys this house is going to need  $5,500 to pay for tetanus treatments ....Ya'd think they could sand it down a little?

On 11/22/2017, 2:26:21, 1martinimomma said:

Susie, I am so excited.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it this morning.  I didn't really want to pay that much, but what's a girl to do!  This one is a keeper for me, like the BH and the San Fran.  By the way, I have finished my SanFran 555, so I needed something to work on for this year.  Looking forward to getting started on her.  This is my first Artply house, so it will be a new endeavor for me.  

Colleen, Congrats on snagging an elusive Granville.:cheer:

Good things come to those who wait.. can't wait to watch progress on the build. :) 

20 hours ago, minilover62 said:

I really doubt that anybody appraised that house, I went I step forward and wrote to this seller about what I see, including the fact that it is also unfinished (look at the porch floor and I think the front door doesn't even have a handle), plus the furniture is also pretty common, not expensive. And it is pretty dusty. I had to do it because I would hate anybody falling for this so wrongly advertised item

I also sent her a message with a link to a house selling for $750. I did receive a reply back.

"Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately I do not have the certifications on the doll house, but have owned it for 33 years. While it is similar to the DuraCraft model, it is different in some of the details. Another interested party had emailed about it being "unfinished". It was a delibrate choice to just varnish the wood vs painting it. Also, there is a considerable number of furniture pieces and rugs that are not shown in the picture. I am most willing to accept a reasonable offer, as I am moving and cannot take it with me. Again, thank you for your interest"

I don't think there is anything to convince her otherwise.

Good luck to her. This one looks to be in better shape (or at least the photos are better) and has been listed for $500 since at least August: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duracraft-Victorian-MansIon-Dollhouse-13-rooms-large-Ready-to-Decorate/172820967458

Here's a sweet log cabin. Looks like it would be sturdy enough for little kids to play with. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Log-Cabin-Dollhouse-w-Handmade-Stone-Chimney/253277673010

8 hours ago, jrchob said:

I also sent her a message with a link to a house selling for $750. I did receive a reply back.

"Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately I do not have the certifications on the doll house, but have owned it for 33 years. While it is similar to the DuraCraft model, it is different in some of the details. Another interested party had emailed about it being "unfinished". It was a delibrate choice to just varnish the wood vs painting it. Also, there is a considerable number of furniture pieces and rugs that are not shown in the picture. I am most willing to accept a reasonable offer, as I am moving and cannot take it with me. Again, thank you for your interest"

I don't think there is anything to convince her otherwise.

She will be convinced when either she doesn't get any offers at all, or when she gets just a few hundreds offers....with a lot of luck.

This log cabin is original and beautiful...very tempting...https://madison.craigslist.org/tag/d/doll-house/6399636678.html

Thanks ladies, I am so excited about the elusive Granville coming to live with me.  She is to be here on Tuesday the 28th.  Woohoo!,I will have time to start on her over the Christmas holiday.  I will definitely post to an album as work progresses.  I am thinking she is a Queen Anne style, but I could be wrong.  What do you all think, Queen Anne, or something else?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Thanks ladies, I am so excited about the elusive Granville coming to live with me.  She is to be here on Tuesday the 28th.  Woohoo!,I will have time to start on her over the Christmas holiday.  I will definitely post to an album as work progresses.  I am thinking she is a Queen Anne style, but I could be wrong.  What do you all think, Queen Anne, or something else?

I think she's actually a Steamboat Gothic Victorian.

https://ferrebeekeeper.wordpress.com/2016/07/13/steamboat-gothic/

This RL house in North Carolina looks a lot like the Granville. https://www.visitnc.com/listing/nc-rural-heritage-center

Here is another that has shades of the Granville to it, particularly that dormer with a balcony https://circaoldhouses.com/property/steamboat-victorian/

And this one http://innonschroonlake.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/first-blog-post.html

And another https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_Garland_House

Sam, that's actually not the only NC house that looks like that kit! I've been here, and it's a beautiful old girl: https://www.visitnc.com/listing/hiddenite-arts-heritage-center-at-the-historic-lucas-mansion. There also happens to be a doll collection permanently on display there, all kinds, from porcelain, to ethnic styles, to Barbie. I live not too far from there, maybe 20 miles or so?

8 hours ago, Samusa said:

I think she's actually a Steamboat Gothic Victorian.

Samantha, I think you are right about it being a Steamboat Gothic Victorian.  I have never heard of that style of house.  I suppose if I am going to keep her true to her period, she is going to be a white house.  I am not fond of white houses, but the picture of the John Blue house is absolutely gorgeous.  Laurinburg, NC is only a 3 hour drive from my house in Spartanburg, SC.  The next time I am out to Spartanburg, I plan on taking a trip over to see that house. 

The interior of the house in Missouri is such a inspiration for decorating the inside.  I just love the woodwork in this house.  The curving window and door trim is so unusual.  Would love to use that in the house, but I have never seen that available in miniature.

I love visiting the historical houses of the south.  Thank you for all the information you provided.

7 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Sam, that's actually not the only NC house that looks like that kit! I've been here, and it's a beautiful old girl:

Cynthia, another hidden gem within driving distance from Spartanburg.  I will definitely add this house on my list of places to visit.  Looks like I will planning a longer visit to Spartanburg than usual in order to take some trips to see these houses. I will do more research and see what else there is to see on my trip to visit these houses.

9 hours ago, queenannediva said:

Well, Susie, Carrie, and Cynthia, and I think there is one more on the list of  members looking for a Granville.  Here is another chance.  I will be interested to see how the ebay auction ends up and I hope if you are going to be bidding, you will be the lucky winner and maybe we can build this grand lady together.  I knew eventually another one would show up on ebay, and no matter what price it sells for, I am happy with my purchase.  It always a gamble on eBay when you are looking for an item specifically.  It just so happens that I will receive a very nice monetary award for 20 years of service to the company I work for in mid December.  So, I spent some of it on this house.

6 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Samantha, I think you are right about it being a Steamboat Gothic Victorian.  I have never heard of that style of house.  I suppose if I am going to keep her true to her period, she is going to be a white house.  I am not fond of white houses, but the picture of the John Blue house is absolutely gorgeous.  Laurinburg, NC is only a 3 hour drive from my house in Spartanburg, SC.  The next time I am out to Spartanburg, I plan on taking a trip over to see that house. 

The interior of the house in Missouri is such a inspiration for decorating the inside.  I just love the woodwork in this house.  The curving window and door trim is so unusual.  Would love to use that in the house, but I have never seen that available in miniature.

It's an unusual and fairly rare style being specific to steamboat towns.. but what a cool back story to have for your house... it could be a river boat captain's house. :D 

You don't have to paint it white, they have elements of other Victorian styles so you could go to town on the trim or you could do the house walls a colour and keep the trim white like a steamboat. :) I on the other hand love white houses so that's what I would do.. but guess what? It's yours, so you can do whatever you want! :D 

I've been racking my brain on what you could use to replicate rounded trimwork like the Missouri house.. I think I would try to fashion one corner out of pizza cuts of straight trim or strategic cutting of round window trim and then make a mold out of Sculpey mould maker. I'll keep an eye out for easier options though.