Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

You're welcome, Jen. By the way, the book I have is called Interior Design in Miniature and was written by Anne Day Smith. I have a paperback one which has all the pages falling out (because I read it over and over) and then Lisa gave me one she bought in a bunch of magazines when we went to the miniature show in Seattle two years ago. This one is a hardcover, is signed by Brooke, and says it is #799 of a limited edition of 2700. Lisa bought it for a dollar. Unreal what some people will sell for practically nothing.

10 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I do!  It's at the Miniature Time Machine Museum in Tucson.  I saw it when I was down there in October.  Duh.  I did not put two and two together until I Googled Brooke Tucker Yellow Rose of Texas.  They had several of her room boxes there as well, including an art deco room I was drooling over.

Thank you for letting me know!

The miniature museum on Bascom Ave in San Jose had what seemed like hundreds of roomboxes, all set into the walls at eye height so you could see them without bending over (unless you were tall). They also had Phelan City as well. And I remember two Brook Tucker rooms in that collection, the modern apartment with the black woodwork and I think the strawberry room.

I'd sure love to find out what happened to the museum and all its room when it closed.

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I thought I read somewhere that Brooke Tucker didn't do kitchens because she didn't like to cook, nor bathrooms because she didn't like to clean them; or was that someone else?.

In the Interior Design book, Brooke says she doesn't like to cook and almost forgot to put a kitchen in the Yellow Rose house. There is another whole part of the house that isn't shown beyond the dining room on the first floor in that link. That dining room is the room way down on the first floor next to the staircase. They show it in a separate photo later - it's set up as a banquet hall and you can see the wedding cake on the table.

The Yellow Rose of Texas is 13 1/2 feet long all together.

Anyway, beyond the dining room is a little bitty kitchen, past that a large patio area and past that a two story retreat for the father.

The kitchen is cuter than all get out. It's very narrow, but she's done the cabinet doors with louvers, like those louvered shutters that Houseworks used to sell in a natural wood with blue and white tiles on the counters and she has a tiny narrow little island in the middle. At the front of the kitchen she has a breakfast nook with a white wicker table and two wicker chairs, and she finished the kitchen off with copper cookware hanging over the stove.

What Brooke said about bathrooms is she doesn't feel a toilet is necessary in them. So she makes her bathrooms without toilets.

3 hours ago, madtex1967 said:

So, ever go, WHAT?!  It's the house I have been searching forever and there it is!  That just happened to me.  I pulled the trigger and made an offer for it on eBay.  Its the Opening Scenes Replica of Tara.  Complete in box.  I probably paid too much, but it is so rare, I couldn't resist!

large.5a1e31bb286de_s-l1600(2).jpg.90135

Congrats, Matt! You do realize you hit the motherlode there, right? Sort of like winning Powerball?

Congrats to you Matt.  It's a once in a lifetime purchase. Like I said when I bought the Granville for way too much, Merry Christmas to me!  I think of it as, what can I do for a whole year that I love doing for only $400.  Pretty cheap entertainment when you think of the hours of pleasure this house will give you. 

I just noticed that it was in Springfield IL, that's where I am from and half of my family still lives there.  Small world!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Congrats, Matt! You do realize you hit the motherlode there, right? Sort of like winning Powerball?

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

That is great, I am so happy you found the house of your dreams that is  very special, oh and when it is so special to heck with the price, you will just have to live on beans for a month !!

3 hours ago, Samusa said:

Total score Matt.. Congrats!:cheer:

3 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Congrats to you Matt.  It's a once in a lifetime purchase. Like I said when I bought the Granville for way too much, Merry Christmas to me!  I think of it as, what can I do for a whole year that I love doing for only $400.  Pretty cheap entertainment when you think of the hours of pleasure this house will give you. 

I just noticed that it was in Springfield IL, that's where I am from and half of my family still lives there.  Small world!

Yep, it is my final Christmas present to me!  I thought a much bigger purchase that is coming up was going to be my Christmas gift.  I now have two!  But, oh I have to keep this one quiet from someone.  He will not be happy if he knew I spent a bit too much.  But I have wanted this kit since I got started in minis in the early 80s!

I always have to watch what I say to my mom. Sometimes I'll forget and say something to her, and then I have to sit through the "How much did that cost?" and "What do you need another one for? You haven't finished the first one yet!" and "You already have a dollhouse!" lectures. My mom never reads a book twice or watches a movie twice, so she can't imagine what anyone would want with TWO dollhouses. Good thing she doesn't know about the ones under the sofa!

By the way, Matt, I saw the price on that auction and I don't think you overspent at all. In fact if you got if for anything under the price it was going for, I think you got a bargain.

I am a bit sensitive about some things.I often wonder when bidding on e bay for anything miniature whether we are bidding against each other. I am bidding on somethings right now and wonder about that. I have had some great support and help from folks here that it would bother me if I won over someone who had helped me. My  first item finishes in a day and a half.Wish me luck but more than that wish for me  it not be someone from here I am bidding against and I hope if I get it I don't hear someone say ":I was bidding on that"  Fingers crossed here

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

I am a bit sensitive about some things.I often wonder when bidding on e bay for anything miniature whether we are bidding against each other. I am bidding on something right now and wonder about that. I have had some great support and help from folks here that it would bother me if I won over someone who had helped me. My item finishes in a day and a half.Wish me luck but more than that wish for me  it not be someone from here I am bidding against and I hope if I get it I don't hear someone say ":I was bidding on that"  Fingers crossed here

I often wonder too if we're bidding against another forum member ...my item ends in a day and half as well ...hope we're not bidding on the same item.

19 hours ago, madtex1967 said:

So, ever go, WHAT?!  It's the house I have been searching forever and there it is!  That just happened to me.  I pulled the trigger and made an offer for it on eBay.  Its the Opening Scenes Replica of Tara.  Complete in box.  I probably paid too much, but it is so rare, I couldn't resist!

large.5a1e31bb286de_s-l1600(2).jpg.90135

yay!!! it's such a satisfying feeling!

21 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

I often wonder too if we're bidding against another forum member ...my item ends in a day and half as well ...hope we're not bidding on the same item.

All is fair in love and minis. Competition is good for the tiny market. But I know what you mean.

(no war in minis)

• Like 2

Awhile back Joanne and I were both watching a Heritage on eBay.  If I remember right, it was a buy now price.  I had it my cart thinking about it.  Joanne took the plunge and bought it.  At the time neither of us knew the other was interested in the same house.  She was so excited with her buy, and announced it on the forum, and that is when we realized we had both interested in the same house.   I was happy for her.   I had the same chance, but I was just hem-hawing around and didn't purchase it.    If you don't win the item this time, eventually another one or something even better will show up.  It just fair game on eBay.  I have seen many things I wanted, but just didn't want to pay that much for it.  

• Like 2

YesI know you are all right. this happened a while ago when I was looking for a house that time, there was a buy it now one and someone on the forum admitted they were thinking about it. so I didn't buy it and I waited and waited almost to the end of the posting but it didn't go so at the last minute I bought it and sure enough  the other person was sad when it was gone,I was uncomfortable fessing up but all worked out well as there  was another just the next week I think.

I guess it is inevitable when you think about it. I have bids on quite a few things on e bay right now, I have edited my first post to show that as it gave the wrong impression, My first item finishes in a day and a half and that seller has 4 things I am interested in so I suppose the chances are at some point paths will cross . I never get sad if I lose, well rarely.

Susie out of all the thousands of things on e bay that are there I hope my items are not what you want and if they are lets hope that others come along to replace them. Good luck with your bidding, and I hope I don't win what you wanted..

agreed, all is fair in love and eBay :drool:  I know I've bid against a few members but didn't know until it was over and announced here.  It is what it is hahaha.  I hope you get what you want and at the price you want to pay!

• Like 1

Just now, Qubanqtee said:

agreed, all is fair in love and eBay

My feeling is that the item will end up with the person who is supposed to have it. No hard feelings.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I always have to watch what I say to my mom. Sometimes I'll forget and say something to her, and then I have to sit through the "How much did that cost?" and "What do you need another one for? You haven't finished the first one yet!" and "You already have a dollhouse!" lectures. My mom never reads a book twice or watches a movie twice, so she can't imagine what anyone would want with TWO dollhouses. Good thing she doesn't know about the ones under the sofa!

By the way, Matt, I saw the price on that auction and I don't think you overspent at all. In fact if you got if for anything under the price it was going for, I think you got a bargain.

Imade an offer $50 less and it was accepted 15 minutes later.  I am glad you think I did not overspend. :cucumber:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1martinimomma said:

Awhile back Joanne and I were both watching a Heritage on eBay.  If I remember right, it was a buy now price.  I had it my cart thinking about it.  Joanne took the plunge and bought it.  At the time neither of us knew the other was interested in the same house.  She was so excited with her buy, and announced it on the forum, and that is when we realized we had both interested in the same house.   I was happy for her.   I had the same chance, but I was just hem-hawing around and didn't purchase it.    If you don't win the item this time, eventually another one or something even better will show up.  It just fair game on eBay.  I have seen many things I wanted, but just didn't want to pay that much for it.  

yes I remember that now, I forgot all about it.  I rarely buy on eBay, and usually it is a buy it now, because I would only forget about it.  If I loose something to someone here, there would be no hard feelings from me.  

• Like 1

Actually these days I rarely bid as I choose the buy it now option but if I find one thing that is a must have with a seller and it is on auction I always look at what else they have and very often I find something more. It is amazing what you find when you were not really looking in the first place. I often forget about it though and if I win I get the email so sometimes if it something I would really like I will do a maximum bid then walk away . If something is on my serious look for list I may stay with it   , it becomes a sort of a daily habit, then I stop again and  for months I don't look..Same with Craigs list, I look everyday, why..there really isn't anything I need but the looking and finding can be fun, just more to collect dust and be disposed of later LOL

I'm hoping someone near Virginia/Delaware area or around there would be willing to take a little drive to save a house... b/c I can't believe that they have it listed for $100! Could definitely use some to scale stairs and yes some work on wallpaper... but boy this could be such a beauty!

https://delaware.craigslist.org/art/d/custom-doll-house/6404870734.html

5 hours ago, Jeannine said:

It is amazing what you find when you were not really looking in the first place

I find this true in real stores, too. especially Michael's and Hobby Lobby. :D