Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

It's nicely made, and I love the stained glass, but $4500 seems a little steep.

I will never understand why miniaturists do this to themselves. The market for fully finished projects is so small. I get charging that for a commission but I don't know that the market will support a price like that.

6 minutes ago, SewMini said:

I will never understand why miniaturists do this to themselves. The market for fully finished projects is so small. I get charging that for a commission but I don't know that the market will support a price like that.

That’s the Nottingham Dollhouse. The kit alone is expensive and the finishing isn’t cheap. Well finished half scale houses of this kind are also difficult to find. Our own member Kellyannmo completed a Nottingham and it’s gorgeous. You can find it in her albums. 

I think the asking price depends on a lot. If it’s a known artist and the work is excellent the price can be high and worth it to the buyer.

Yes, some of the resale prices are crazy high but I don’t think this is necessarily out of line for this type of piece.

33 minutes ago, SewMini said:

I will never understand why miniaturists do this to themselves. The market for fully finished projects is so small. I get charging that for a commission but I don't know that the market will support a price like that

I think they do it because they DO love their work and will only give it up for a high price. Or maybe it is for the advertising (I would swear House of Broel is advertising when she posts her houses for 80k and up).

The real deals come from the people who just want to unload something - they aren't usually collectors, they often just want the space, inherited their mom's stuff, and there is very little love involved in keeping it around. Some great orphaned houses waiting for us out to rescue them. For pennies on the dollar!

• Like 1

In general, I think that particular seller's auctions are overpriced. Then again, I bought something from her when it was something I really wanted...

• Like 2

I buy from Karen regularly and have always been happy with what I got and the price I paid.  She is not only an ebay seller but also owns a shop does many shows (including her own show) and has been in the business for a long time.  I'm sure she knows her stuff pretty well.

Oh, I think she knows her stuff, I didn't mean to suggest that. She sells nice things, too. I guess what I meant was that I troll eBay for bargains, and her prices are usually too high for me. But if she's able to sell that castle for $4500, more power to her!

14 hours ago, Dalesq said:

That’s the Nottingham Dollhouse. The kit alone is expensive and the finishing isn’t cheap. Well finished half scale houses of this kind are also difficult to find. Our own member Kellyannmo completed a Nottingham and it’s gorgeous. You can find it in her albums. 

I think the asking price depends on a lot. If it’s a known artist and the work is excellent the price can be high and worth it to the buyer.

Yes, some of the resale prices are crazy high but I don’t think this is necessarily out of line for this type of piece.

But if it's a niche market, aren't there better avenues than putting it on FB marketplace? FB marketplace is kind of a digital yardsale IMO. Then again, it got shared here so perhaps they are counting on other miniaturists sharing it.

3 hours ago, SewMini said:

But if it's a niche market, aren't there better avenues than putting it on FB marketplace? FB marketplace is kind of a digital yardsale IMO. Then again, it got shared here so perhaps they are counting on other miniaturists sharing it.

But in general miniaturists are a frugal lot, no? I think so. Seems like it is 99% bargain hunters, and 1% wealthy collectors. 

There should be some high end dollhouse auction site...a miniature Christies with only good stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

There should be some high end dollhouse auction site...a miniature Christies with only good stuff. 

Not a bad idea. :)  I wonder what motivates buyers/collectors to go after the really high end pieces. My toys are more expensive than your toys? How often do they play with them? Ever? My DNA steers me toward practicality. Even when I was traveling the world on a fairly regular schedule, I brought back items I'd use or had a special meaning to me. Rarely any tchotchkes. I suppose a collector might look on it as an investment in art, but that might be a stretch.

• Like 1

Apparently it's missing its front panel with the front door and detail stuff that goes on it.  I would venture to guess one of the RGTs.  Too bad it's missing that front panel, though.

21 hours ago, fov said:

I really like it but I could never afford it. It actually looks similar to this guy's work:

http://www.petermattinsonartwork.co.uk/dolls-house-architecture/

1 hour ago, 1martinimomma said:

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Apparently it's missing its front panel with the front door and detail stuff that goes on it.  I would venture to guess one of the RGTs.  Too bad it's missing that front panel, though.

Holly's on the money with it being a RGT - looks like it's the front opening Federal Manor. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M1BQ7E?tag=mipatusciofbo-20 

3 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I think it is akin to the RGT Front Opening Federal Manor. The kit for all those components is expensive. But that one also looks to be in some rough shape and would need a lot of work. And yes it needs the front panel.

Update: it IS the federal manor. RGT had several of these where you could buy specific combos and they all had different names. I had the Federal Manor, built the shell and then years later actually offered it up for free - because it was a bear to haul away. It is very much a cabinet like house. I thought I'd love it, but I didn't. Had great plans for it...was going to merge two rooms into big kitchen, etc. But no. Not for me.

2 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I think that panel might be on the top of the house.  Maybe I could ask them to take a picture of the front panel.

5b33a1cc2febc_frontpanel.JPG.9db4c043e01

That does look like the panel - it has the front balcony floor sticking out! Looks like it!

3 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

It's got a few extras - like the bay windows and the windows on the extension wing roofs. The original Federal Manor didn't have upstairs windows on the side additions. And the windows were not bays on the extensions...this one is interesting. I like it. 

I kinda think you should consider it if you have the space and if you like the interior/want to fix it. I like it. Does it have the stairs?