Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

56 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I kinda think you should consider it if you have the space and if you like the interior/want to fix it. I like it.

I might consider it if he will come to down $100.  It really is in bad shape and considering I already have the Lawbre Rosedawn, BH, Granville and SF that I want to keep, I have to be kind of picky about what I buy due to the lack of space for these large houses.  Thanks ladies for letting me know what house it is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I think it's a Hofco Federal house. Here's a pic of one I found online:

house.jpg.f760cb95d1eb9bb37c0a0618dec698

3 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

So how would I know the difference between a Hofco and RGT house?  Is one worth more than the other?

518csQwZ0ML._SY355_.jpg

The RGT version (above - the same version as what I had - which was indeed the Federal Manor by RGT) didn't have dormers on the side additions.

Yours  - which I assume is the hofco - has bay windows and dormers on those additions Lovely. I agree with you on the price - lop off $100 and it is  a nice undertaking.

Well, that's definitely a Hofco French door - the HW ones don't have a heading on them. That French door should also be partly solid. Beyond that, the Hofco house will have the name on it under the house. About all I can say for value is the Hofco house is rarer.

6 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

And these dollhouse inhabitants had a serious bubble tea addiction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-miniatures-huge-lot/123217414820

And that is a 7" Nisbet doll mixed in which is worth a few bucks.

There's a nice little menorah in there, too (no candles, though).

This seller has several 1:48 scale retired house kits by Herber, Young, and Suzanne/Andrew and a Cindy Howe 1:144. They are all hard to find kits and the prices reflect it, but if you are a 1:48 or 1:144 scale enthusiast these might be something for you.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kdradclifk/m.html?item=253723337764&hash=item3b1316e424%3Ag%3AQfIAAOSwIrVbONLo&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• Like 1

I want to mention something in the Facebook debate. After having searched there a bit, I found out they have lots and lots of the exact house I am looking for.  

Georgian homes with high ceilings and center stairwell and round wired lighting throughout. The cost is usually around 100 pounds.

I was over the moon, until I tried to buy one. In the course of almost a week, I have tried to purchase 15 (!!) Dollhouses. 

Because I live in Scandinavia,  not one has been willing to sell to me (even though I specifically say I want to pay for the shipping).  Some don't even reply. 

So this is a friendly warning to all my fellow miniaturist in Europe. Facebook marketplace just isn't the right arena. *sadface*

On sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, it's a common scam for someone who isn't local to offer to buy something and pay shipping, and then the check bounces or something shady happens, so some of the people you're writing to probably don't believe you're for real. Here's Craigslist's warning page on the subject: https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

I don't think you're going to have much luck trying to buy a dollhouse like that. If you don't have a local equivalent of Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, eBay is probably your best bet.

I used to buy things from auction websites in Japan through a shopping service - it is called Rinkya and it was a good experience and reliable. Have you looked for anything like that? I will take a quick look to see what's available. I did fine with Rinkya - they did all the work in the Japan and I had to pay some fees, but the items were great.

15 minutes ago, fov said:

I’ve got mine and so does @Mid-life madness and @1martinimomma and @Thimble Hall - I think there’s still 2 or three on the hunt for one - it’s a good price if you really want one

33 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

I’ve got mine and so does @Mid-life madness and @1martinimomma and @Thimble Hall - I think there’s still 2 or three on the hunt for one - it’s a good price if you really want one

OOOOH......I know it is expensive, but that is a good price for what they have been going for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fov said:

On sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, it's a common scam for someone who isn't local to offer to buy something and pay shipping, and then the check bounces or something shady happens, so some of the people you're writing to probably don't believe you're for real. Here's Craigslist's warning page on the subject: https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

I don't think you're going to have much luck trying to buy a dollhouse like that. If you don't have a local equivalent of Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, eBay is probably your best bet.

Oh do had no idea! That explains a lot. Thank you for the info! Such a shame that is. So many doors closed because some idiot scammers.

6 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I used to buy things from auction websites in Japan through a shopping service - it is called Rinkya and it was a good experience and reliable. Have you looked for anything like that? I will take a quick look to see what's available. I did fine with Rinkya - they did all the work in the Japan and I had to pay some fees, but the items were great.

No, I have never heard of it before. Ironically, I am not very internet savvy, and usually only buy from sites I know.  All help is greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Verdi said:

No, I have never heard of it before. Ironically, I am not very internet savvy, and usually only buy from sites I know.  All help is greatly appreciated. 

There are also online escrow services, so you pay them your money and when your item arrives and both parties are happy, the money is deposited into the seller’s account. There are fees, usually payable by the buyer, but when I used the service, it was well worth the fee. That is how I bought my first laser cutter. 

But I think for someone who intends to sell their item locally, offering to use an online escrow service would still raise a red flag as a possible scam. (And it's another of the things Craigslist warns against.)

19 hours ago, Verdi said:

I want to mention something in the Facebook debate. After having searched there a bit, I found out they have lots and lots of the exact house I am looking for.  

Georgian homes with high ceilings and center stairwell and round wired lighting throughout. The cost is usually around 100 pounds.

I was over the moon, until I tried to buy one. In the course of almost a week, I have tried to purchase 15 (!!) Dollhouses. 

Because I live in Scandinavia,  not one has been willing to sell to me (even though I specifically say I want to pay for the shipping).  Some don't even reply. 

So this is a friendly warning to all my fellow miniaturist in Europe. Facebook marketplace just isn't the right arena. *sadface*

I think it might be worth finding a parcel/package forwarding service.  You'll need to figure out which one is best for you - but they do exist. They will take a commission, and it isn't going to save you money, but you could probably get a house off US ebay this way. That is basically was Rinkya was for me in Japan. 

https://tech-vise.com/best-parcel-forwarding-services-for-international-shoppers/