Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Just for information, I believe that house is built the same way as the Carlson San Franciscan two room house and the Tudor mansion (and probably the rest of what they sold). If anyone has put together the Carlson bay window, you know it goes together with a wood frame and the walls are filled in between the framing.

In this picture of their storefront, you can see the framing of the kit and the walled fill-in between the frames. It's very apparent at the top of the kit above the windows.

carlson.thumb.jpg.2c78bf610623a23d22e064

I'm still debating going after that kit, but there's a couple things stopping me. For one, I have a huge house I already want to make larger. I certainly don't need another large house. The other reason I'm not sure about that house is because you have to pull it apart to see the rooms. I don't think it has opening walls. I really want a house where you can look at the rooms without disturbing them. Everything would have to be glued down to keep things from falling over.

It would be so nice to have a piece of history, though. I'm surprised some miniature museum doesn't want to buy the house. It's a great price and looks to be in good condition.

It doesn't compare to the beautiful Carlson house, but here's an interesting one in Oakland CA: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/art/d/doll-house-custom-wood-built/6678129568.html

Similar to the San Franciscan. I like how the front bay window hinges open but those deep rooms might be hard to decorate if that's the only access.

2 hours ago, fov said:

It doesn't compare to the beautiful Carlson house, but here's an interesting one in Oakland CA: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/art/d/doll-house-custom-wood-built/6678129568.html

Similar to the San Franciscan. I like how the front bay window hinges open but those deep rooms might be hard to decorate if that's the only access.

That looks like the House On A Hill by Norm's Dollhouse of Colorado (now Rocky Mountain Woodcrafts since closing the shop).  I remember seeing that house in their shop.  The  rooms on the first and second floors are double deep - the front bays do open for access.

https://miniaturedesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_332&products_id=35462&zenid=23b043bdb2c6e65a63a2beec4f9a33f2

That's exactly what that house is. Great. Now if I went to California, I'd have TWO houses to pick up. Who could pass up a deal like that? Maybe I should just drive a U-Haul down there. Wait...I'm talking like I'm really going to get them!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

That's exactly what that house is. Great. Now if I went to California, I'd have TWO houses to pick up. Who could pass up a deal like that? Maybe I should just drive a U-Haul down there. Wait...I'm talking like I'm really going to get them!

actually you'd have three, because if you had a haul I'd be loading the Victorian ACP into for you!

4 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

actually you'd have three, because if you had a haul I'd be loading the Victorian ACP into for you!

It's tempting! I seriously am thinking of making a trip back to see old friends of mine. The furthest south I would get would be San Juan Bautista, though. Just that far is going to be at least 10 hours of driving. One way.

The other thing is, I only have room for one dollhouse and since I'm trying to save up for a shed to put on my property, I have (or should have) money for none.

BUT! Since I can't buy this dollhouse, I'll do the next best thing. I'll enable some of you in the Bay Area to buy it! So to do that, I have some pictures of another house. I have no idea where I got them (probably Craig's List), but I found them when looking for something else last night. Now I'll share so you all know you just can't pass up that nice Carlson house. 00505_6LAFE6Dud7e_1200x900.thumb.jpg.527

00f0f_k6vRA04oyoi_1200x900.thumb.jpg.077

00e0e_euDvyc3iAUJ_1200x900.thumb.jpg.4e3

00i0i_6HaDFr4Aw9d_1200x900.thumb.jpg.676

00l0l_50rVUWN3nGN_1200x900.thumb.jpg.a00

That's so gorgeous. I keep looking back at that ad, which is ridiculous, because I don't have the space and I don't really like working in 1:12 scale anymore. i have a similar (but not nearly as grand) 1:12 house that has been sitting untouched for years.

I just emailed the seller to ask the dimensions, in hopes of convincing myself that I really don't have room!

About the pull apart front/back, it seems like you could just display the front part and it wouldn't seem incomplete. I like the idea of a fully enclosed house, but without hinged panels the back part just seems to take up a lot of space.

• Like 2

And there really are only 40 houses that were made. They had a picture in a Miniature Catalog once and that's what it stated. What I'm wondering is whether the side panels could be taken down and replaced with plastic, so the house is still enclosed, but you can see inside.

The only thing that would phase me is, how in the world would you paint all that trim with the house already together. And how would you wallpaper the walls? It would be a nightmare.

I think there are panels on the sides of the front parts of the house. The one on Craigslist has an open wall on the stair side, and it seems like you can see through to the other side which implies an open wall on that side too. Seems like they could be replaced with plastic, but I think there would still be rooms you can't see.

I'm wondering if the two halves could be mounted on some sort of track - like the metal sliders a drawer is mounted on - so they could easily be pulled apart and slid back together.

I would consider painting it all white, rather than trying to paint accent colors with all the trim in place.

Argh, I really need to stop thinking about this! No space!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fov said:

I think there are panels on the sides of the front parts of the house. The one on Craigslist has an open wall on the stair side, and it seems like you can see through to the other side which implies an open wall on that side too. Seems like they could be replaced with plastic, but I think there would still be rooms you can't see.

I'm wondering if the two halves could be mounted on some sort of track - like the metal sliders a drawer is mounted on - so they could easily be pulled apart and slid back together.

I would consider painting it all white, rather than trying to paint accent colors with all the trim in place.

Argh, I really need to stop thinking about this! No space!!

Well, you know I think you should go get it. :D

The seller got back to me with the dimensions: 49" tall x 33" wide x 48" deep. For the two pieces that come apart, the front is 29" deep and the back is 18.5" deep.

I love the idea of this house (and the price!) but I think it's just too big for me. I measured both of the spots I thought I could put it and neither is big enough. And even if I found a place to put it, I don't know how I'd work on it. I don't have room to put it on the floor, and I'm only 63" tall myself!

I haven't written back to say no yet, but I don't see it working out. :(

Update - I just wrote back to say no. It killed me to do it! I pointed the seller in the direction of a few local people who deal with mini estates, in case he can't find a good prospect on Craigslist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fov said:

The seller got back to me with the dimensions: 49" tall x 33" wide x 48" deep. For the two pieces that come apart, the front is 29" deep and the back is 18.5" deep.

I love the idea of this house (and the price!) but I think it's just too big for me. I measured both of the spots I thought I could put it and neither is big enough. And even if I found a place to put it, I don't know how I'd work on it. I don't have room to put it on the floor, and I'm only 63" tall myself!

Update - I just wrote back to say no. It killed me to do it! I pointed the seller in the direction of a few local people who deal with mini estates, in case he can't find a good prospect on Craigslist.

Oh, sigh. :(

That's a big house! I wouldn’t have any room for it either, and it’s not my scale...but soooooo lovely. I’m sure that was a hard decision, cuz I know you like to collect the rare ones. Someone will love it.

4 hours ago, fov said:

I keep looking at this but also fell it's just sooo big but what a great house . Also I have never done one that is already stared.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018, 11:58:24, fov said:

Duh - I can see by the pictures that the sides come off. I must have been asleep at the wheel when I made that post. My keeper had the day off that day. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I was thinking of just flying down there and then hiring a U-Haul van for the trip back. But I have no place to keep the house either. And in the end, the cost would be more than I want to spend, between gas and plane fare and taxis etc.

2 hours ago, fov said:

Love!!!!

2 hours ago, fov said:

I wouldn't begin to know how much this is worth. It's very nice!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fov said:

Boston!?! :cry:

• Like 1