Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

3 hours ago, asherah said:

I don't know who does those houses, but they have an awful lot of them that look exactly like half scale Greenleaf houses. I don't think Greenleaf is the maker of those houses and I'm wondering if GL could have a lawsuit for copyright infringement against those guys.

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I don't know who does those houses, but they have an awful lot of them that look exactly like half scale Greenleaf houses. I don't think Greenleaf is the maker of those houses and I'm wondering if GL could have a lawsuit for copyright infringement against those guys.

That's what I was wondering too

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I remember when there were half a dozen plus stores in and around the Bay Area: Shellie's Miniature Mania in San Carlos, D&J Hobbies in Campbell, Village Miniatures in Cambrian Park (I think they wished they could send me home for dinner sometimes LOL), the store right across from Valley Fair where 17 meets 280, the one in Montclair, one in Pleasanton (half scale, might be still there), The Dollhouse Factory in Menlo Park, one in Benicia, The Wooden Horse in Los Gatos, the one in Fremont - I took a road trip once and went all the way up the right side of the bay to Benicia and down the other side of the Bay and visited them all. That was a magical day.

Kelly, it sounds like you used to live here.

As far as I know there is only one store in Novato called "Dollhouses, Trains, and More". Aside from Shellie's, that is. I think I must have gotten back in to dollhouses a bit too late cuz all the stores are closed!

It's the internet, I swear. It's killing all the businesses. And I'm just as guilty as the next person for buying most of my stuff off the web. It's so sad to see this happening but what're you gonna do?

The last I heard Shellie was closing it down in October don't know if that is still on schedule.  Six, sever years ago or whenever it was I walked into her shop and found she had turned half the shop into real life home decorating, gifts, etc. I knew it was not a good sign.  A couple of visits later she had racks of clothes for sale.  I understand why she did it probably trying to stay alive but it was heartbreaking.   

At one time there were 48 or 49 mini shops in California now less than 10 (and a few of them I wouldn't bother visiting again).   One of my favorites was one in Walnut Creek.  Can' remember the name of it without looking it up but it was one of the best.  Of all the shops I have been fortunate enough to visit around the US at lease my all time favorite is still open.  I do worry about it closing as Larrianne's in Ventura has been in business for over 35 years and she may be getting close to retirement too.

Longing for the good old days.

Oh, I forgot about the one in Half Moon Bay. I never did get to get to that one.

4 hours ago, kokomo said:

Kelly, it sounds like you used to live here.

As far as I know there is only one store in Novato called "Dollhouses, Trains, and More". Aside from Shellie's, that is. I think I must have gotten back in to dollhouses a bit too late cuz all the stores are closed!

It's the internet, I swear. It's killing all the businesses. And I'm just as guilty as the next person for buying most of my stuff off the web. It's so sad to see this happening but what're you gonna do?

Yeah, I lived in San Jose for 26 years. I just got driven out by the rents. If I could afford it, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Is Dollhouses, Trains, and More still open? I was with a group of model horse collectors and we all did a day trip to there once right before I left California. They were all looking at model horses and I ended up oohing and aahing over the dollhouses. I remember they had the Carlson 2-room Victorian house, which I regretted not buying at the time. Then I found one on eBay and bought it and SOLD IT again. :sad?:

Oh, by the way everyone, that little vanity bench that I bought "a while back"? I went back through all my eBay purchases for 2018, 1017, and 2016. I must have bought it in 2015. How times flies when you're having fun. :ermm:

6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:
6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Oh, I forgot about the one in Half Moon Bay. I never did get to get to that one.

Yeah, I lived in San Jose for 26 years. I just got driven out by the rents. If I could afford it, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Is Dollhouses, Trains, and More still open? I was with a group of model horse collectors and we all did a day trip to there once right before I left California. They were all looking at model horses and I ended up oohing and aahing over the dollhouses. I remember they had the Carlson 2-room Victorian house, which I regretted not buying at the time. Then I found one on eBay and bought it and SOLD IT again. :sad?:

Oh, by the way everyone, that little vanity bench that I bought "a while back"? I went back through all my eBay purchases for 2018, 1017, and 2016. I must have bought it in 2015. How times flies when you're having fun. :ermm:

Yes, it's still there and I make a point of going about once a month whether I need anything or not. It's still pretty well stocked with lots of RGTs houses, houseworks stuff, lighting, wood, supplies, etc.. But with everything else that's closed down, I hold my breath between visits in fear that it will close down, too.

I was in Half Moon Bay a couple of months ago and just happened to pass by a miniature shop that was being run out of a private residence. They had some serious displays in there so maybe it was the same people that used to run Olde Victorian Miniatures on Main at one time.

We're being driven out of the Bay Area, too, by the high cost of living. We're planning on investigating Sequim... been eyeballing Port Townsend and Olympia, too. :)

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Many of us said the heck with it and began making our own items.

I try and make everything I can on my own but sometimes (a lot of the time) my talents aren't as grand as my visions. ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I remember when there were half a dozen plus stores in and around the Bay Area: Shellie's Miniature Mania in San Carlos, D&J Hobbies in Campbell, Village Miniatures in Cambrian Park (I think they wished they could send me home for dinner sometimes LOL), the store right across from Valley Fair where 17 meets 280, the one in Montclair, one in Pleasanton (half scale, might be still there), The Dollhouse Factory in Menlo Park, one in Benicia, The Wooden Horse in Los Gatos, the one in Fremont - I took a road trip once and went all the way up the right side of the bay to Benicia and down the other side of the Bay and visited them all. That was a magical day.

There used to be one in Berkeley/Albany, too, back when we first moved into our house.  It was on the main shopping street, an easy walk for us.  How I wish it was still there!

3 hours ago, kokomo said:

I try and make everything I can on my own but sometimes (a lot of the time) my talents aren't as grand as my visions. ;)

I love making my own things and am very proud when they come out like what's in my head . But I do love getting some items that just feel like they are someone elses design . If I make them I feel like I'm just copying.I know it's a weird way to think.   

8 hours ago, kokomo said:

Yes, it's still there and I make a point of going about once a month whether I need anything or not. It's still pretty well stocked with lots of RGTs houses, houseworks stuff, lighting, wood, supplies, etc.. But with everything else that's closed down, I hold my breath between visits in fear that it will close down, too.

I was in Half Moon Bay a couple of months ago and just happened to pass by a miniature shop that was being run out of a private residence. They had some serious displays in there so maybe it was the same people that used to run Olde Victorian Miniatures on Main at one time.

We're being driven out of the Bay Area, too, by the high cost of living. We're planning on investigating Sequim... been eyeballing Port Townsend and Olympia, too. :)

I wonder if that was the Foxfire or Fox something miniature store. If it is, they've been in business for a long time.

If you're going to look at moving to Washington, you might be better off southwest to southeast/east of Olympia. That area is growing and it's definitely a little more expensive, but it still has that rural feeling and it puts you within driving distance of Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle without having to cross any bridges or ride any ferries. Of course, I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle is always horrible anyway, but it could take you only about 40 minutes to get to Seattle. From Port Townsend, it could take you 50 minutes to get to a ferry at Kingston or Bainbridge Island and then another half hour across the water and you're still paying an ungodly amount of money to ride the ferry. And those fares just go up and up and up. Sequim is even further away. In addition, you're putting up with the Hood Canal bridge. In winter, if the winds are sustained at 45 mph or greater for a 15 minute period, they close that bridge. It doesn't get closed often, but just enough to annoy people who need to be somewhere.

If you think you'll take the Port Townsend ferry, in summer it will occasionally have an hour or two back up and in winter they've stopped the ferry running when the water's too rough. They've lost cars off the back of that ferry, which is why they quit running in bad weather now. Kingston ferries back up, too.

The Bremerton and Bainbridge ferries usually go in any weather and the only time I've ever been turned away was on the Bremerton ferry during morning commute.

Sequim is supposed to have a paper mill close by and the I understand the smell can be pretty bad sometimes. Another pricey but really nice area close to Seattle is east in the area of Issaquah, Snoqualmie, and Fall City, and also a little further south around the Auburn area. Those are beautiful areas that are still fairly close to civilization at the same time.

If you want to price homes or land, I think the best site to use is the johnlscott.com site. They have a pretty comprehensive listing of most of the places for sale in the Puget Sound, you can map out the area you want to look at, the site is easy to use, and you can alternate between a map view and a satellite view, which is helpful if the listing doesn't tell you the lot you want is located next to a junk car collector. LOL

• Like 1

Wow, that is a lot of really good information. Thank you!

We haven't really looked into all of this in depth but have been planning to start getting a little more serious about it this year since our daughter will be going off to college. We wouldn't need to commute since we'll be retiring but, still, we don't want to feel trapped either and it sure sounds like the towns I mentioned, other than Olympia, are pretty 'out there'. My mom lives in Bellevue and my brother in Snohomish county so, yeah, I'd be wanting to go visit them fairly often.

The whole ferry situation sounds like a nightmare. yikes. I don't think I would like that. They look kind of innocent when you're just viewing them on a map but ... I guess not. lol. Auburn seems pretty cool. I might look into that a bit now. How about Lakewood area, is that nice?

Why did you choose Bremerton? That looks like a nice place, too. Especially being almost straight across from Seattle.

Thanks for the link to the website. Got it bookmarked. I do love it when they include a bird's eye view. Mostly because we're hoping that we can find someplace where our neighbors aren't so close that we can hear each other sneeze. gad. :crazyeyes:

I chose Bremerton because when I first came up here in 2001, I could rent a 2-bedroom apartment for only $545 a month, parking in Bremerton was $3 a day on weekends when I worked, and the ferry only cost $3.80 to walk on in Seattle. I worked close enough to the ferry terminal in Seattle to walk to work.

Now of course, 2-bedroom apartments run $1500 a month and more, the walk on fare is $8.75, and I don't know how expensive it is to park here anymore, but I know it's expensive. Bremerton is blue collar and run down. If you have lots of money and want class, you live in Silverdale, Poulsbo, or Bainbridge Island. Bainbridge Island ferries make the run to Seattle in 1/2 hour. From Bremerton to Seattle it takes an hour. It's a beautiful trip, especially in the summer, but loses its appeal after the second or third or millionth time you've ridden over there.

I don't know much about Lakewood or Tacoma, except Lakewood is sort of the south part of Tacoma. I don't think either of them are very pretty cities, certainly not like downtown Olympia. I know they both have a lot of bad areas, although I'm sure there are some good areas as well. I always think of them as not being all that great. Tacoma is where the mall was that had the shooting a bunch of years ago and it's also where someone walked into a coffee shop and shot to death 4 cops who were having a break. One thing I forgot to tell you, if you live anywhere southeast of Olympia, you have a risk of Ranier blowing up. Ranier is like the Big One in California. It might blow tomorrow, it might not blow for another 500 years. Have you thought about living north of Seattle, near Marysville, Arlington or Everett?

I don't go over to Seattle all that much anymore. It's more of a nuisance for me, but I had to go over there to Harborview when I was having angiograms and MRIs because of my aneurysm. I'm cheap and it takes me about as much time to drive around to Seattle as it does to take the ferry (even with the stupid bridge toll), so I drove. Fortunately, the receptionists would work with me so I could come in after the morning commute and leave before the afternoon commute began. During those times, I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle is just a big Washington parking lot.

The further out you get from Seattle, the cheaper places will be unless everyone else has the same idea.

One thing that you might also consider is buying land and building a house on it. Land is plentiful here, sometimes even reasonable in price, and up above Sequim, there are some lots with gorgeous views.

If you need any more info, just PM me. I'll be happy to tell you what I know.

And since this is the eBay thread and all, here's something I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lot-Of-Dollhouse-Miniature-Stone-Marble-Toilet-Seat-Bath-Tub-Sink-Plus/163242762811?hash=item260206e23b:g:SbkAAOSwD3JbfIMg:sc:USPSFirstClass!98311!US!-1

I can't tell if the color is yellow, beige, or white, and those don't look like the original faucets, but if someone is looking for a marble bathroom, here ya go!

I was actually thinking of getting this and I still haven't made up my mind. But if anyone in this area is looking for a nice Beacon Hill at a cheap price, here it is:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/549529713/

• Like 1

That bathroom set looks pinkish beige on my monitor, with matching pieces to make a tub surround.  Pretty, except for that funky commode seat & lid; the piece of tape holding it all together doesn't help.

I wonder if that oval rug comes with the BH.

Seattle:  Unfortunately only one pic but looks like a Noel Thomas designed Tower House.  If it is its a steal at $150.00 especially compared to: https://www.mcssl.com/store/mydollshouse/catalog/product/b6d84649b7d84adb85e1bbf16eff9d52

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/d/beautiful-victorian-dollhouse/6716706375.html

I think that other one is way overpriced. I've seen tower houses for $500 and I think that's overpricing it, too, but that's just me.

I think that house was built using only 1/4" thick wood. That could be a plus, because it would be a lot lighter.

1 hour ago, queenannediva said:

Seattle:  Unfortunately only one pic but looks like a Noel Thomas designed Tower House...

There are a bunch of thumbnails beneath the larger photo that will bring up the other views.  The seller might have added those.  I also noticed $2800, not $150.

The one on craigslist is $150.00.  The $2,800.00 one is for sale in a mini shop in Los Angeles. I asked the shop owner how much if someone did not want the supplies she is selling with it and she said she would take $400.00 off.  I paid $500.00 for the Tower House I had.   $2,400.00 or $2,800.00 is way out of line which makes the $150.00 one a steal.

The wood used on the Tower House is the same as the Joseph Angel.  It is marine grade plywood not as good as the beautiful smooth lightweight baltic birch plywood that RGT uses..