Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

That house from Shellie's is beautiful. I think it's called the Nob Hill? If I remember correctly, Majestic Mansions only sells the half scale version (Morningside Mansion); they manufactured the 1:12 version for Shellie but it was only sold through her shop.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019, 11:52:42, Mid-life madness said:

Is this water damage I am seeing? The price is way too high, but I like it. https://offerup.com/item/detail/666347926/

Here's the same house in California for $75 -- a much more reasonable price! https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tag/d/santa-cruz-victorian-san-francisco-doll/6874194911.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimothyHH said:

Don't know why anyone would pay so much for that when they could buy a RGT Vermont Farmhouse Jr. for much, much less and have the same house essentially.

Like Kelly said, none of the overpriced Hofco houses/kits are selling, so i pretty much doubt that this kit will sale near close to this high asking price. I agree with you Tim.

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

My son showed me how to do the upload.  It's the digital camera itself that gives me fits; no matter how someone talks me through the process and I do everything correctly, when I push the button to take a photo the camera turns itself off; so I don't have one.

I know my camera will turn itself off when I try to take a picture when it's trying to use a flash and the batteries are too low. Have you tried replacing the batteries in the camera to see if that will solve the problem? The other thing I do is, when I go to take a picture, a lot of the times I hit the on/off button instead of the take-a-picture button. Yeah, yeah, y'all can laugh now. (and I'm not insinuating Holly is anywhere near as dumb as I am)

Something else you can all laugh at me about. I just noticed the other day that Holly's name is HavanaHolly. I've been reading it all these years as HavaHolly. Just pull out the little white jacket now and get my room ready....(and apologies to Holly)

• Like 1

Kelly, I don't own a digital camera; since I haven't mastered how to use one, I can't justify the expense.  The hubs has/ had one he never figured out how to use, so I don't even know if that one's still around.  People used to ask me to take pictures with them in it and I always had them watch me put my finger on the correct button to take the photo and the rest of my fingers well away from all other buttons and the lens, and either there was no picture when I pressed the button, or it was just a sort of glowing cloud with nothing else there.  Perhaps I give off some sort of electronic aura that erases signals?

IMO if you're going to charge that much money for a cat shaped like a kitten, at least try to use eyes that look like a cat's.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

I know my camera will turn itself off when I try to take a picture when it's trying to use a flash and the batteries are too low. Have you tried replacing the batteries in the camera to see if that will solve the problem? The other thing I do is, when I go to take a picture, a lot of the times I hit the on/off button instead of the take-a-picture button.

Me too on both accounts.

My husband bought my current digital camera second hand and I don’t have to do anything for it to take the most beautiful photos. He bought it especially for miniatures but also takes beautiful photos of everything else. It is a Sony Cybershot and I almost always use it on the auto funtion. 

On 4/26/2019, 1:39:17, madtex1967 said:

I saw this listing last night.  They seem very proud of it, but ouch :headhurts: the work involved to get it in good condition.  Definitely a child's play house.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Greenleaf-The-Fairfield-Dollhouse/183788110410?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

See, I look at this & makes me terrified of starting to build my own house....

2 hours ago, Susan18 said:

You can certainly do a much better job that THAT!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Susan18 said:

You can do it! That house was plane old abused, and you will love and cherish your house.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Susan18 said:

May I suggest first getting a practice house? You can get cheap (and often-times free!) kits off Craigslist or find at yard sales. I did my first house - a cheap Artply cottage - at 13-years old and it was awful! Use a cheapie to practice techniques. Get the cheapest wallpaper pack you can find, try making templates, experiment with different painting and flooring techniques, and etc. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it's not a waste of time. The practice will come in handy when you start a house you really love. My Artply ended up in a fireplace on a cold winter night, lol.

On 4/28/2019, 10:11:24, Mid-life madness said:

I think it looks like something from RGT......I don't understand the high prices associated with Hofco. I know they are made from upgraded wood, but sheesh!

I seem to recall reading that Real Good Toys purchased the rights to Hofco's plans when Hofco went out of business in the early 90s. I Googled and can't find that piece again so I can't verify. Does anyone know? I should email Jennifer at RGT and see if that's true. She is awesome and helpful, btw.

Many of RGT's kits are identical to Hofco's so it makes sense. Specifically, look at their Federal mansard and its additions, various farmhouses and etc. RGT simplified most of their kits, such as making them rear-opening instead of hinged front-opening. I'm sure that increased the profit margin on each one.

One good example is I have an old Hofco kit still in the box. It is identical to RGT's Victorian Cottage (pictured below) but with one big exception. On the Hofco kit, the gabled dormer above the front door is not flush with the facade of the house. It extends out and creates a covered porch beneath it. The extended one looks much better but RGT's version is more cost-effective to produce.

Mine is flat without milled siding. I'd planned to do it as a Tudor cottage with some wonderful old Timberbrook bay windows I have that utilize Timberbrook's diamond-paned windows in them. I doubt that project is ever going to see the light of day though. So many dollhouses, so little time . . .

RGT Victorian Cottage.jpg

6 hours ago, KellyA said:

I seem to recall reading that Real Good Toys purchased the rights to Hofco's plans when Hofco went out of business in the early 90s. I Googled and can't find that piece again so I can't verify. Does anyone know? I should email Jennifer at RGT and see if that's true. She is awesome and helpful, btw.

Many of RGT's kits are identical to Hofco's so it makes sense. Specifically, look at their Federal mansard and its additions, various farmhouses and etc. RGT simplified most of their kits, such as making them rear-opening instead of hinged front-opening. I'm sure that increased the profit margin on each one.

One good example is I have an old Hofco kit still in the box. It is identical to RGT's Victorian Cottage (pictured below) but with one big exception. On the Hofco kit, the gabled dormer above the front door is not flush with the facade of the house. It extends out and creates a covered porch beneath it. The extended one looks much better but RGT's version is more cost-effective to produce.

Mine is flat without milled siding. I'd planned to do it as a Tudor cottage with some wonderful old Timberbrook bay windows I have that utilize Timberbrook's diamond-paned windows in them. I doubt that project is ever going to see the light of day though. So many dollhouses, so little time . . .

RGT Victorian Cottage.jpg

I'm wondering if you have one of the Charmingland houses. I don't recall Hofco making any small houses except for those. Now RGT did get a lot of Walmer designs (along with some of the Batrie houses they got earlier) and some of those are similar to the ones RGT already made. I can't recall if they made 4 or 6 of them, but here are pictures of two:

s-l1000.jpg.d4af30dca711be909c7b107ad79c

Vintage-1989-Charmingland-Dollhouse-CK56

The cottage that came from Walmer is (was, since they no longer make them) called the Kiwi Cottage and it had a very wide gable on the front, almost reaching across the length of the house.

The picture in your post is simply called the Victorian Cottage Jr.

I know the cottage you're talking about with the extended gable, but for the love of Mike, I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere. I see it all the time and I can see it in my mind, but apparently it's a mirage. When I do find it, I'll post a pic so people can tell the difference.

• Like 1

The second kit looks like the one that is on Ebay for over $600, but on this one the porch roof width has the same width of the house. The kit on Ebay has the porch roof width smaller than the width of the house, and doesn't have the heart on the top window. This would be a third Charmingland kit.

Charmingland-Hofco kit.jpg

Charmingland-Hofco kit1.jpg

• Like 1

It seems to me I remember seeing a full page ad in one of the magazines for the Charmingland houses and they all had the heart in them. It's perfectly possible Hofco changed the specs a little on some of them. Look at how many changed the Americana dollhouse went through. Or maybe someone bought out the Charmingland line and decided to market it a little differently. The box in your picture says it's a Collector's Edition, too.

I'm currently paging through the magazines Lisa gave me so if I see the ad again, I'll take a picture and post it. What's bothering me is I can't seem to find a picture of the cottage with the extended gable.

By the way, has anyone seen this site yet?

https://www.inminiature.com/category_s/120.htm

• Like 1

I'm wondering if you have one of the Charmingland houses. I don't recall Hofco making any small houses except for those. Now RGT did get a lot of Walmer designs (along with some of the Batrie houses they got earlier) and some of those are similar to the ones RGT already made. I can't recall if they made 4 or 6 of them, but here are pictures of two:

s-l1000.jpg.d4af30dca711be909c7b107ad79c

Vintage-1989-Charmingland-Dollhouse-CK56

The cottage that came from Walmer is (was, since they no longer make them) called the Kiwi Cottage and it had a very wide gable on the front, almost reaching across the length of the house.

The picture in your post is simply called the Victorian Cottage Jr.

I know the cottage you're talking about with the extended gable, but for the love of Mike, I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere. I see it all the time and I can see it in my mind, but apparently it's a mirage. When I do find it, I'll post a pic so people can tell the difference.

I'm going to have to dig into the depths of a few closets and see if I can find that box. My description is correct in that the gable extends, as I was going to put brackets or heavy angled timbers under it and forego the porch posts. It's not the Kiwi because the gable is identical in size and shape to the Victorian Cottage Jr.; it doesn't go the full width of the house.

You mentioned Walmer, however, and a light bulb went off over my head. Now I wonder if I might be misremembering the manufacturer and it may not be Hofco after all. I'm pretty sure it's not a Charmingland house because I've never had one of those. I should find that darn thing and just sell it. It's one more project I don't need.

It seems to me I remember seeing a full page ad in one of the magazines for the Charmingland houses and they all had the heart in them. It's perfectly possible Hofco changed the specs a little on some of them. Look at how many changed the Americana dollhouse went through. Or maybe someone bought out the Charmingland line and decided to market it a little differently. The box in your picture says it's a Collector's Edition, too.

I'm currently paging through the magazines Lisa gave me so if I see the ad again, I'll take a picture and post it. What's bothering me is I can't seem to find a picture of the cottage with the extended gable.

By the way, has anyone seen this site yet?

https://www.inminiature.com/category_s/120.htm

Cool! Is it on RCT's site yet?.......off to look.

Well, that was a bust!!!

On 4/30/2019, 1:58:08, minilover62 said:

Like Kelly said, none of the overpriced Hofco houses/kits are selling, so i pretty much doubt that this kit will sale near close to this high asking price. I agree with you Tim.

I just bought a Hofco Victorian Farmhouse kit on ebay for less than half of the asking price for Vermont Farmhouse twin. Not sure if I overpaid too but I really prefer smooth, thick plywood kits which seem to not exist anymore as new. When did everything become milled MDF?

16 minutes ago, TimothyHH said:

I just bought a Hofco Victorian Farmhouse kit on ebay for less than half of the asking price for Vermont Farmhouse twin. Not sure if I overpaid too but I really prefer smooth, thick plywood kits which seem to not exist anymore as new. When did everything become milled MDF?

Tim, you've got super lucky because I haven't seen lately any Hofco kit not even for the full price of the VH, let alone for half. I am glad you grabbed it. MDF has been around for over a decade now. I haven't done any yet.

3 hours ago, minilover62 said:

Tim, you've got super lucky because I haven't seen lately any Hofco kit not even for the full price of the VH, let alone for half. I am glad you grabbed it. MDF has been around for over a decade now. I haven't done any yet.

Same seller has a Byron Free kit too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hofco-Vintage-Byron-Free-House-Kit-164/183792999496?hash=item2acaea9c48:g:9QoAAOSwKhFcYy19. It's been opened and no word if it's all there, but the seller knew what Hofco was (says she has two other built Hofcos), so I take it she's an actual miniaturist as opposed to just someone selling rando stuff they could care less about.

It worked out for me because it's only got to be shipped about 150 miles so the shipping cost was low.