Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

7 hours ago, TimothyHH said:

...When did everything become milled MDF?

When Dura-Craft sought to lower their production costs (and failing to pass some of the savings on to customers might have led to their demise); the Lord only knows why so many other kit manufacturers followed suit, but it's one of the reasons I'm so very, very glad Greenleaf continues to make their kits from plywood.

I'm pretty sure this is an American Craft Products house. Does anyone have pictures from an old catalog or anything that would show what this is supposed to look like? It's missing a porch or two. I think it's also been modified to enclose the rear or did it originally come completely enclosed? I bet it could be a great house but it needs work. Maybe someone on this forum is near Scottsdale and can get a bargain.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/640336531/

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

11 hours ago, KellyA said:

I'm pretty sure this is an American Craft Products house. Does anyone have pictures from an old catalog or anything that would show what this is supposed to look like? It's missing a porch or two. I think it's also been modified to enclose the rear or did it originally come completely enclosed? I bet it could be a great house but it needs work. Maybe someone on this forum is near Scottsdale and can get a bargain.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/640336531/

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I believe that's a house built from plans in a book. Hold on a minute - I think I have a pic of the book. Are all the windows like that? Because if so, the windows would be worth more than the house. I'd get the house for the windows alone.

OK, here is a couple pics of the book:

dh336a.thumb.jpg.3728528bb28dbd4bfd99a7e

dh336b.thumb.jpg.036316f2abcef1045eab782

So, no, not an ACP house, but a nice house just the same.

Thank you for posting the pictures! That's the first time I've ever seen the inside.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I believe that's a house built from plans in a book. Hold on a minute - I think I have a pic of the book. Are all the windows like that? Because if so, the windows would be worth more than the house. I'd get the house for the windows alone.

OK, here is a couple pics of the book:

dh336a.thumb.jpg.3728528bb28dbd4bfd99a7e

dh336b.thumb.jpg.036316f2abcef1045eab782

So, no, not an ACP house, but a nice house just the same.

Thank you for posting the pictures! That's the first time I've ever seen the inside.

I was just typing a reply that it wasn’t an ACP house - none of their houses have that type of roof - glad you found the plan book- and for real that the windows are worth more then the asking! 

Thank you for that, Kelly, I haven't seen that book in decades! So nice to find out what that is. For the life of me I couldn't remember. And yes, those windows were expensive even back in the day, on par with the cost of Lawbre. I count 17 singles, 2 doubles, and 2 doors. With the house priced at $300, that makes those 21 components a bit over $14 apiece. A real steal.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019, 9:28:35, KellyA said:

May I suggest first getting a practice house? You can get cheap (and often-times free!) kits off Craigslist or find at yard sales. I did my first house - a cheap Artply cottage - at 13-years old and it was awful! Use a cheapie to practice techniques. Get the cheapest wallpaper pack you can find, try making templates, experiment with different painting and flooring techniques, and etc. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it's not a waste of time. The practice will come in handy when you start a house you really love. My Artply ended up in a fireplace on a cold winter night, lol.

I have actually thought of this, yes (I hope your Artply kept you warm that night...)

1 hour ago, Susan18 said:

I have actually thought of this, yes (I hope your Artply kept you warm that night...)

Considering all the paints, acrylic windows, and glue in that thing, burning it in an indoor fireplace was probably a very dumb thing to do. It wasn't just for warmth though. Watching that testament to my lack of dollhouse-building skills go up in flames was ooohhh soooo satisfying!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Susan18 said:

Rehabbing a built house will also help with building/ finishing skills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbnmini said:

I think this woman has one extra zero to the price of this house! :eek:    https://allentown.craigslist.org/clt/d/dollhouse/6860186118.html

Very unique house, though!

It looks like it's well built and cabinet-grade plywood. I wouldn't pay $1000 for it, but I think it's worth more than $100. I love that mansard roof, very elegant.

Oh, took me a second to recognize it -- it's the same house as this, isn't it? http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=42232

That one was half scale by Bauder Pine. I wonder if the Craigslist house is also half scale? The components in the photo look like 1:12. I don't know if Bauder Pine did any 1:12 though? Could theirs be a copy of a pre-existing 1:12 dollhouse?

2 hours ago, jbnmini said:

I think this woman has one extra zero to the price of this house! :eek:    https://allentown.craigslist.org/clt/d/dollhouse/6860186118.html

Very unique house, though!

Same house on Ebay but without that cupola or whatever it is on the roof. $500 more, electrified, finished, furnished, and accessorized.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-High-Electric-Lit-32-y-o-Victorian-Dollhouse/192872932700?hash=item2ce81f655c:g:HiMAAOSw9N1Vz18t

I like that those houses are front-opening. If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't own anything but front-opening. So much more space efficient.

15 minutes ago, fov said:

It looks like it's well built and cabinet-grade plywood. I wouldn't pay $1000 for it, but I think it's worth more than $100. I love that mansard roof, very elegant.

Speaking of Mansard roofs, many many years ago I saw an article in a miniatures magazine. It could have been Miniatures Collector, Nutshell News, I honestly have no idea. A man built a replica of the Maxwell House (just like the coffee) in Georgetown, Colorado. The house is more commonly known in Colorado as The Pink House. He built it out of foam board and posterboard. It was gorgeous. Is anyone familiar with this article? I've never seen anything about it since and whatever magazine it was in is long gone. This is a pic of the real house.

Maxwell House.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019, 11:22:48, KellyA said:

Considering all the paints, acrylic windows, and glue in that thing, burning it in an indoor fireplace was probably a very dumb thing to do. It wasn't just for warmth though. Watching that testament to my lack of dollhouse-building skills go up in flames was ooohhh soooo satisfying!

Not that this matters but the funniest thing is that I just happened to come across an Ebay listing for the first house I did (and burned!). It's the weirdest thing because I haven't seen a picture of that kit in years and suddenly it pops up. The kit was by Arrow, not Artply. I am batting zero on guessing manufacturers. I think the furniture kits may have been Dura-Craft. At any rate, they were tab-and-slot like the house. Such awful kits, and I did such an awful job on all of them. Glad no photos exist of those. Not that I'd share my shame here even if they did, haha. My mom sure knew what she was doing getting me started on the most basic, and cheapest, of kits!

Arrow DH.jpg

On 5/3/2019, 2:04:05, KellyA said:

Speaking of Mansard roofs, many many years ago I saw an article in a miniatures magazine. It could have been Miniatures Collector, Nutshell News, I honestly have no idea. A man built a replica of the Maxwell House (just like the coffee) in Georgetown, Colorado. The house is more commonly known in Colorado as The Pink House. He built it out of foam board and posterboard. It was gorgeous. Is anyone familiar with this article? I've never seen anything about it since and whatever magazine it was in is long gone. This is a pic of the real house.

I think I remember this article - or at least the man who built it with paper and foamboard - and I had a link to what I think was a website with more of his houses. Amazing stuff - I'll go look for it.

Update: I was thinking of this guy - https://greggsminiatureimaginations.blogspot.com/2016/05/haunted-mansion-made-out-of-cardboard.html

Not sure he ever did the Maxwell house, but that is who I thought of when I read about it. Fun!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019, 2:04:05, KellyA said:

Aha - I found a paper version!! 

http://www.wurlington-bros.com/Workshop/TourImages/MaxwellMini.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019, 6:29:38, Elsbeth said:

I think I remember this article - or at least the man who built it with paper and foamboard - and I had a link to what I think was a website with more of his houses. Amazing stuff - I'll go look for it.

Update: I was thinking of this guy - https://greggsminiatureimaginations.blogspot.com/2016/05/haunted-mansion-made-out-of-cardboard.html

Not sure he ever did the Maxwell house, but that is who I thought of when I read about it. Fun!

He does some awesome work, I love it! And I'd love to have that paper version you linked to of the house.

As for houses in Colorado, I still kick myself for not buying a Lace House dollhouse I came across in a thrift store for only $100. It had been very badly done but I think would have been fixable. Rocky Mountain Miniatures / David's Dollhouses was my go-to shop for minis. Sadly closed and no longer producing those kits, I'm loathe to spend the $900-$1000 it takes to get one of those now.

Below are pictures of the dollhouse and the real house. The kit is a remarkably faithful adaptation of the actual house in Black Hawk, Colorado.

Lace House Dollhouse.jpg

Lace House Blac Hawk.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019, 6:36:25, Elsbeth said:

Charming video tour of a 1:12 Provence house:

That is amazing. I'm not sure if I should be inspired or depressed. Inspired as something to strive for. Depressed knowing it'll never happen!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KellyA said:

He does some awesome work, I love it! And I'd love to have that paper version you linked to of the house.

As for houses in Colorado, I still kick myself for not buying a Lace House dollhouse I came across in a thrift store for only $100. It had been very badly done but I think would have been fixable. Rocky Mountain Miniatures / David's Dollhouses was my go-to shop for minis. Sadly closed and no longer producing those kits, I'm loathe to spend the $900-$1000 it takes to get one of those now.

Below are pictures of the dollhouse and the real house. The kit is a remarkably faithful adaptation of the actual house in Black Hawk, Colorado.

Lace House Dollhouse.jpg

Lace House Blac Hawk.jpg

I LOVE this house. Love it. Always wanted it. Always.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Go for inspired.  Or just delighted by the eye candy.  :)  I feel like an addict getting a fix when I see something like this.

"Delighted" is a good third option, rather than comparing my mediocre skills to something like that!