Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

18 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Okay, so it's an Elliott Bay, YEAH!  I got it cheap so I am happy.  After identifying it,  in my searches I haven't seen one without the side additions.  Were the side additions an extra you could add on?  The reason I am asking you can see the fireplace structure on the left side of the house is already attached.  So, the addition wouldn't really work on that side of the house.  I didn't think the houses made by Clell Boyce or Joseph Angel were sold as a kit, were they?  If so, I wonder how did the door of the tower got moved over?

The house came with both additions on it as far as I know. I'm pretty sure they weren't kits. Although one time I do remember talking to someone who had a Joseph Angel house for sale in Seattle and he swore up and down he got it as a kit. He may have meant unfinished. It's missing that one roof piece, so maybe someone started to take it apart. Those houses were put together using long staples and let me tell you, it's a royal pain in the as - a royal pain to get those things out. I wouldn't be surprised if someone started breaking it down and quit.

Have you checked the bottom of the house yet? It should be signed and numbered and the one I had also had the Elliott Bay name on the bottom as well.

Anyway, I found a good buy if anyone is in Florida:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holly-Hobbie-Homeplace-dollhouse-1-12-scale-wood-good-condition-assembled/362639080064?hash=item546ef93a80:g:i~QAAOSwLzFczLl0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

Have you checked the bottom of the house yet?

Kelly, thanks for all the information on the house.  The guy I am buying it from has been hard to communicate with about the whole deal.  It's taken over a week just to pinpoint if it was still available and make a firm up a pickup time.  I will be picking it up next Saturday on my way back from the Dallas Miniature show.  I will look on the bottom to see if it's signed.  

He said he got it from his neighbor lady, who passed away last year, and he was planning on finishing it, but decided they just didn't have room for it.   He had no idea what he had, which is lucky for me since I got this one at a good price.  

Not sure if I should add those additions back on to make it look authentic or if it really matters.  Do you think I should add the additions back on?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1martinimomma said:

Do you think I should add the additions back on?

Wait until you have lived with the house for a while before you think about this. Let the house tell you what it wants. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Let the house tell you what it wants

I hope this house is not as chatty as the Granville was.  That house didn't shut up for a whole year.  It seems like the more it talked, the more I spent $$$ on trying to make it be quiet!:cheezy:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Not sure if I should add those additions back on to make it look authentic or if it really matters.  Do you think I should add the additions back on?

Can you do a sketch of the house? I used to do that but have used Photoshop for a long time. Make it as accurate to scale as possible but you don't have to draw in every detail, at least just get the basic shapes and sizes correct. Make photocopies of your original which you can play around with. You can add various additions, even if you have to put those on separate pieces of paper and tape them alongside. Can also change colors, add trims, sketch in different kinds of doors and windows.

It really helps. Many times I've thought I had a perfect picture in my mind. "This is what I'm going to do!" Then when seeing it, I realized certain things didn't work or they threw off the balance of a piece entirely.

Photoshop takes some practice but is a breeze once you get the hang of it. It is perfect for this purpose and a heck of a lot easier than spending hours (or days!) doing something for real, finding out it doesn't work, and then having to undo it! I've done at least 15 iterations of my Rosedawn in Photoshop and that's saved me from potentially doing at least one very major screw-up. I'll dig out a few examples and post them on a different thread if you want to see what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I hope this house is not as chatty as the Granville was.  That house didn't shut up for a whole year.  It seems like the more it talked, the more I spent $$$ on trying to make it be quiet!:cheezy:

LOL. I bet most of us can identify with this. I know I can!

Oh, and P.S., I looked at the photos of that house in your gallery. Yowzah, it's impressive!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

this to me looks exactly like your house!  Im so excited for you

It is exactly my house except the house I am getting doesn't have the side additions.  I might add them back, just have to wait and see after I pick it up.  I am truly excited to be able to get it, especially it being here in Texas.  This is the first one I have seen located close enough that I could buy, as most of the seem to be located out on the west coast.

Thanks @Debsrand56 and @KellyA for the compliments on the Granville   That house was a labor of love, for sure.   She definitely had a mind of her own on how she wanted to look.  I will be keeping her in my collection forever.

Since I had my mock-ups anyway, I started a thread to give an example of how I use Photoshop. One could do the same with cut-outs of drawings, as I mentioned (using photocopies to play around with). It's not a tutorial - those are all over Youtube - but it gives an idea of how ideas can progress once you start playing around with them and seeing actual visuals.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=43066

On 6/19/2019, 8:26:19, 1martinimomma said:

Kelly, thanks for all the information on the house.  The guy I am buying it from has been hard to communicate with about the whole deal.  It's taken over a week just to pinpoint if it was still available and make a firm up a pickup time.  I will be picking it up next Saturday on my way back from the Dallas Miniature show.  I will look on the bottom to see if it's signed.  

He said he got it from his neighbor lady, who passed away last year, and he was planning on finishing it, but decided they just didn't have room for it.   He had no idea what he had, which is lucky for me since I got this one at a good price.  

You're welcome!

Before you pick the house up, you might want to mention to the seller that the house is supposed to have additions. He may have them lying around and not know what they belong to.

You can add the additions on if you want, but you might want to change a few things as long as you have the room. For instance, you might want to add a sunroom to one side and a laundry room or pantry to the other side. Or even wrap the porch around the side as well.

I always figure if there is one person who has kept and decorated the original house the way it's supposed to look, there really isn't any harm in changing a few things on your own house.

2 hours ago, KellyA said:

You know, it's amazing how much easier it looks to put that house together when you leave the second floor for last.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019, 8:51:02, minilover62 said:

Where does one go to find the true value of older dollhouses? How do you know how collectible it is or how much items should go for made by well known artisans? Is there any literature, website with this kind of info?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Minigirl said:

Where does one go to find the true value of older dollhouses? How do you know how collectible it is or how much items should go for made by well known artisans? Is there any literature, website with this kind of info?

I know what you mean! I think the value of older kits or houses that are no longer made by a specific company is contingent on what someone is willing to pay for it at that particular time.....The Granville kits were going for $400 + and then one came up and they had to relist and lower the price several times. For artisan houses, I don't know how they set the price ie...the House of Broel  stuff is mind boggling. They have been listed forever.https://www.ebay.com/i/183489627514?chn=ps.

The old antique houses like Gottsshalk and others seem to stay around the same prices.

• Like 3

On 6/22/2019, 1:21:48, Minigirl said:

And speaking of true value, some things are WAY out of proportion!! (unless in this case I am missing a piece/pieces that by themselves merit the asking price) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Wood-Ceramic-Miniature-Lot-Dollhouse-Furniture-with-misc-pices/173701045426?hash=item2871639cb2:g:JH0AAOSwGPNcG~J-

• Like 2