Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

It looks like the results of one or more viscious children on a destructive rampage with a few old celluloid dolls and a lot of $Tree furniture; certainly not $2.1K worth!  Maybe $2.10, including shipping, to see what can be salvaged; that's what I paid for the Laurel I rehabbed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minilover62 said:

And speaking of true value, some things are WAY out of proportion!! (unless in this case I am missing a piece/pieces that by themselves merit the asking price) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Wood-Ceramic-Miniature-Lot-Dollhouse-Furniture-with-misc-pices/173701045426?hash=item2871639cb2:g:JH0AAOSwGPNcG~J-

That's insane. I've thrown away better pieces than some of that junk. And here I thought I'd seen it all with this recent $345 sale for a Fantastic Merchandise piece (link below). It's a nice piece but give me a break. Some people have more money than sense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miniature-Dollhouse-EARLY-Fantastic-Merchandise-Wood-Buffet-Side-Bar-Cabinet-6-/223556837504?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

I'll never forget the Greenleaf Pierce on Ebay for $3,000. I am in no way knocking the host of our forum but I'll wager not one of you would have paid $30 for this house. It wasn't even finished! Completely bare wood and one of the most horrible construction jobs I've ever seen. The seller said it was an antique handcrafted by her great-grandfather in the 1940s. They had hot glue guns in the 40s? Drips everywhere. Needless to say it didn't sell.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019, 2:35:05, jrchob said:

My cat actually prefers wallpaper and a tiled floor!!

LOL! Mine would demand marble floors.

"Linoleum?! Hmph. Just for that I shall go puke on one of your rugs, and I'll do it two inches from tile."

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KellyA said:

I see that the bidding ended on that one; wonder if they got anything?

On 6/22/2019, 11:21:48, Minigirl said:

Where does one go to find the true value of older dollhouses? How do you know how collectible it is or how much items should go for made by well known artisans? Is there any literature, website with this kind of info?

I saw that same house on sale at Toys R Us for $150. It had litho'd particle board walls - but it was done nicely with william morris wallpaper in one room. However, even at $150 I was able to walk away. If it had been $50 I'd have done it. The moldings on the doors and windows was really chunky and blocky. 

$799 makes me laugh.  You could buy a beautiful Beacon Hill built and furnished for less than that on Craigslist. 

On 6/22/2019, 12:06:34, Mid-life madness said:

I know what you mean! I think the value of older kits or houses that are no longer made by a specific company is contingent on what someone is willing to pay for it at that particular time.....The Granville kits were going for $400 + and then one came up and they had to relist and lower the price several times. For artisan houses, I don't know how they set the price ie...the House of Broel  stuff is mind boggling. They have been listed forever.https://www.ebay.com/i/183489627514?chn=ps.

The old antique houses like Gottsshalk and others seem to stay around the same prices.

Bliss, Christian Haacker, and Gottshalk - and the FAO Mystery dollhouse from the 1900s/1930s - those are always get high prices. Antiques in good shape will do fine usually - but the market is small, right? The majority of miniaturists are frugal DIYers, imo. They make and build - and do not invest in other's houses. And when they pass away, their kids or relatives often unload their masterpieces or collections at amazing prices, so it's a tough market with amazing bargains to be had. 

I used to not understand the Broel pricing, but I think I am getting closer - she doesn't really have to part with them, and she loves them, so she prices them at what they mean to her. I have houses I'd never sell...the value is priceless to me. But I'll bet when I'm gone they'll be seen as taking up waaaay too much space. Also the sky high prices spur discussion which might spur people to visit the museum which means Ebay might be an advertising tool. Interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minilover62 said:

And speaking of true value, some things are WAY out of proportion!! (unless in this case I am missing a piece/pieces that by themselves merit the asking price) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Wood-Ceramic-Miniature-Lot-Dollhouse-Furniture-with-misc-pices/173701045426?hash=item2871639cb2:g:JH0AAOSwGPNcG~J-

rotfl - that looks like my ragged (but loved) childhood collection. Ahh that red velvet shackman livingroom set!

5 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

Room boxes are always fun to look at:

I like how they did the outdoor scenes behind the windows in this one:

I like that one.  Makes me think of the Thorne rooms.

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I see that the bidding ended on that one; wonder if they got anything?

Sold for $344.99 but who knows if they'll actually get paid. It makes me wonder if a bid was entered incorrectly. Did they mean to enter $34.99?

I once saw a Reminiscence Golden Oak dining set go for $750. I remember this because I have one. It's nice but I'm not so dumb to think it's worth $750! It was re-listed a few weeks later with the seller's explanation that the previous buyer thought they were buying a full-scale dining room set. So weird, because the pictures were very clearly taken in a dollhouse. Now, I suppose it's possible to remove the back wall of your home and take photos of all the rooms in your house at once using a drone, but . . . .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KellyA said:

Sold for $344.99 but who knows if they'll actually get paid. It makes me wonder if a bid was entered incorrectly. Did they mean to enter $34.99?

I once saw a Reminiscence Golden Oak dining set go for $750. I remember this because I have one. It's nice but I'm not so dumb to think it's worth $750! It was re-listed a few weeks later with the seller's explanation that the previous buyer thought they were buying a full-scale dining room set. So weird, because the pictures were very clearly taken in a dollhouse. Now, I suppose it's possible to remove the back wall of your home and take photos of all the rooms in your house at once using a drone, but . . . .

I actually buy from that seller. She shops estate sales and gets some mad prices for stuff. I just bid early and low and if I win great.. if not I just watch the prices soar scratching my head. I have to factor in international shipping so the price I’m willing to pay is often not even close to the prices she gets. :bounce:She seems to have some repeat customers with deep pockets. 

So here are my picks of the day.

Super sales on rare, nice houses:

Denver  Celerity Lady Kathleen

https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/arvada-beautiful-mansion-8-room-doll/6879048728.html

Littleton, CO Lace house This one is missing some interior walls, but those could be replaced

https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/d/littleton-collector-victorian-doll-house/6878568810.html

Colorado Springs  The Southern Plantation limited edition by Model Homes. As it's in boxes maybe he'll ship it.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/tag/d/colorado-springs-1008-southern/6917808121.html

Ojai, CA  by Real Good Toys (name escapes me but I do remember the price on this puppy was at about $500+ and this one comes with a gazebo porch).

https://ventura.craigslist.org/tag/d/oak-view-victorian-doll-house/6902458647.html

Fort Myers, FL  Victorian Mansion by Model Homes

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/art/d/fort-myers-doll-house-project/6913549789.html

For some nice houses at some very high prices, we have this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OOAK-Massive-Atebellum-Doll-House-Dollhouse-Whitehaven-KY/143188807112?hash=item2156b7cdc8:g:BHEAAOSwya1cmqZJ

Chandelier and what a chandelier! I could bear to keep this if someone wanted to give it to me for my birthday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/French-Nepolion-chandelier-1-12-sacle-by-Frank-Crescente-CMD/264286549438?hash=item3d88b4b5be:g:VNUAAOSw53dbaIkZ

And of course, the ridiculous:

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/tag/d/colorado-springs-amish-handmade/6898505946.html

It might have been made in PA and it might, possibly (highly doubtful) have been made by someone Amish, but although the Amish do make dollhouses, this ain't one of them. I would hope this lady is mistaken rather than being deceitful, though.

LOL about the Amish dollhouse. $100 seems like an okay price for it, though, so the misrepresentation isn't really doing anything for them.

17 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

So here are my picks of the day.

Super sales on rare, nice houses:

Colorado Springs  The Southern Plantation limited edition by Model Homes. As it's in boxes maybe he'll ship it.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/tag/d/colorado-springs-1008-southern/6917808121.html

I wonder if they would ship?  I would love to put this in my thinning stash.  It is a great bargain for that house. 

8 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Wow - the staircase in the antebellum $7700 house is gorgeous. That was really fun to look at! Thanks!

You're welcome!

5 hours ago, madtex1967 said:

I wonder if they would ship?  I would love to put this in my thinning stash.  It is a great bargain for that house. 

If you could afford the possible loss, for that much money for that house I'd offer to just send cash. You could also send the cash by Priority mail or Fed Ex overnight, but don't tell the shipping companies you're sending cash. Just tell them you're sending business documents.

You might even hammer out a deal with the seller. You pay the price for the house, he sends it, when you receive it, you then send the shipping amount. It might work.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

You're welcome!

If you could afford the possible loss, for that much money for that house I'd offer to just send cash. You could also send the cash by Priority mail or Fed Ex overnight, but don't tell the shipping companies you're sending cash. Just tell them you're sending business documents.

You might even hammer out a deal with the seller. You pay the price for the house, he sends it, when you receive it, you then send the shipping amount. It might work.

We used an online escrow service when we bought a laser cutter from the US - was fantastic. 

I don't know if this needs its own thread to serve as a warning but I'll just post it here.

I could swear someone recently posted about a Craigslist ad in Florida but now I can't find it. Anyway, the seller was offering a very nice dollhouse but their picture was a stock photo off a retailer's website. He had pictures of other houses he'd made. I recognized the ad because of those pictures, having come across it before (and nowhere near Florida).

This is one of the houses they featured that they had supposedly built. Nice try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Lighted-Fully-Furnished-Doll-House-49-x-18-x-29-tall/173860825390?hash=item287ae9a92e:g:p4cAAOSw-olaIOsL

Sometimes a website is given on these listings. The person supposedly does custom dollhouse finishing. Nearly every picture on that website is a retailer's stock photo. If you're going to advertise custom work, at least show your own! I doubt this person is a member here but who cares? If you are and you're reading this, shame on you.

https://dollhousemansions.com/available-now/

Double shame on you because one of MY houses is on that webpage. The webpage showing houses that are quote-unquote "Available Now." REALLY? Not unless you're going to come carry it out of my basement!

I'm of half a mind to email him but anyone that conscienceless would either ignore it or send me a reply I'd just as soon not read. First pic is the one he has on his webpage. Note that he cropped it to cut off the year. I still have the original picture from the Craigslist ad from which I purchased this house years ago (as you can see by the date). Un-cropped. Not hard to see that it's the same photo. I find that same photo by searching, since nothing on the Internet ever really disappears. No matter where he found the pic of the house, he didn't build it, and he most certainly does not have it available for sale.

replica-of-colonial-house-front2.jpg

Stanley_front.jpeg

The post you're thinking of might be this one? https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/clt/d/punta-gorda-expert-dollhouse-doll-house/6900291708.html

Kelly posted that on another thread. But there are no stock photos there, just a Queen Anne in progress, and that's not the same person as https://dollhousemansions.com.

About the https://dollhousemansions.com site, since you bought yours on Craigslist, are you sure this wasn't the builder? In the uncropped version there are another two houses in the background (one is similar to the one in the foreground), so it looks like whoever built that house had a workshop. I did a Google search for the seller's name and found a few newspaper articles with photos of him posing with houses in progress in his workshop -- one of them is very similar to one he's posing with in a newspaper photo (the same kit but maybe not the same build) -- and also a Patch ad for another of the houses on the "Available Now" page that shows it from another view. (Also, the page itself doesn't say those houses are available. The URL does, but that's the sort of thing someone who doesn't know much about websites might not know how to change.)

From the newspaper articles about him, he does seem to be a legitimate builder, I think he just has a rather bare bones website that hasn't been updated in a while. I want us to be careful about jumping to conclusions since it can reflect on Greenleaf (which is why I haven't included the builder's name here).

• Like 1

It's possible he built it but not likely. I got it from a church rummage sale and they had advertised it and many other items on Craigslist. They also had that house that's visible behind mine to the left. The woman manning that table who I talked to said it was her mother's since the early 1970s. Her mother had passed away and the house was too big for the daughter to keep so she donated it to her mom's church. But, with that said, I also recently posted about a badly built kit house that a seller claimed was a 1940s heirloom, lol, so who knows what stories people will tell. The house sure looked like it was from the 70s though. It was pretty old and worn.

That wasn't the posting I saw, perhaps I came across it elsewhere. The patch ad I get shows a different house, not another view of mine. Isn't that one the Holly Hobby Homeplace dollhouse? I'll post the pic I'm seeing below. Maybe that page brings up randomly different houses and I'm seeing something different than you. The listing for it says:

Period Colonial Dollhouse foe sale, 10 rooms, new, built by XXXXXXXXXXX, Woodbury, CT. Price is $1695.00, call for sale price.

You can delete my first post and this one if you think they'll stir up drama. Thank you for looking into it in more depth. I was just so shocked to see a photo of my house on a page marked as available for sale! I've had that picture since 2008, and it was taken for the church's Craigslist ad. My first and only thought when I saw it was that someone somewhere might actually try to buy something that this man definitely does not have available for sale.

ea49204ad17ee165426c68b5c01efff.png

Edited by KellyA
EDIT: Took the man's name out of the copy of the listing I posted! Saw you did that FOV so I came back and did the same.

Kelly, is your red house a front opening saltbox Colonial with a long sloping roof behind it and and two rooms deep with the back rooms being one long ground floor room across the back? Or is it just a regular Colonial like the Jefferson with a roof covering just the attic? Because if it's a saltbox Colonial, here's what may have happened.

Those houses were built from plans and I still see a lot of them around, mostly painted red because the plans showed red houses. This man may have just built the house (or a similar one) from plans, and then sold it or gave it away once it was done. That doesn't excuse the fact that the picture he has on his website is of your house, though.

I do know I've seen pictures of this guy around forever and remember, back in the day, like in 2000 and earlier, nobody thought twice about saving a picture on the internet or anything about copyright. He may just be old school and not too technically advanced (I can relate to that LOL).

I seriously would just drop him an email and let him know that what he's got on his website is confusing and that you'd also like him to take the picture of your dollhouse down. As he might be advertising his own work and nothing else, I really think the only case you can make is he's using your picture and not one of his own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KellyA said:

The patch ad I get shows a different house, not another view of mine. Isn't that one the Holly Hobby Homeplace dollhouse? I'll post the pic I'm seeing below. Maybe that page brings up randomly different houses and I'm seeing something different than you. The listing for it says:

Period Colonial Dollhouse foe sale, 10 rooms, new, built by XXXXXXXXXXX, Woodbury, CT. Price is $1695.00, call for sale price.

You can delete my first post and this one if you think they'll stir up drama. Thank you for looking into it in more depth. I was just so shocked to see a photo of my house on a page marked as available for sale! I've had that picture since 2008, and it was taken for the church's Craigslist ad. My first and only thought when I saw it was that someone somewhere might actually try to buy something that this man definitely does not have available for sale.

ea49204ad17ee165426c68b5c01efff.png

That's the one, I meant there's a different view of this same house on his website. Also many of his pictures have the orange date in the lower right hand corner, which suggests they were all taken with the same (non-digital) camera.

27 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I do know I've seen pictures of this guy around forever and remember, back in the day, like in 2000 and earlier, nobody thought twice about saving a picture on the internet or anything about copyright. He may just be old school and not too technically advanced (I can relate to that LOL).

If the pictures aren't actually houses he built, then yes, I think this is probably the case.

• Like 1