Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I sent an email to the seller with our questions and was a bit rough (it will not sell at this price!) about the selling price and expectations.  I will post the answer if any!

I hope you have better luck than I did, Matt. I emailed a seller on eBay trying to sell a Lawbre staircase for about $20 bucks or so. I told her it was a Lawbre and if she used the name, it might sell faster. She must have looked them up because she used the name Lawbre and then upped the price to about $100. That was six weeks ago or so and she's still trying to sell that staircase.

I can't really tell what furniture is in the house just from what I'm seeing in those pictures, but I do know in the last picture, those cabinets on the wall are from BH Minis. If they were on eBay in their kit boxes, people would be in a bidding frenzy for them, me included. So maybe she does have several thousand dollars worth of stuff in that house.

7 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I hope you have better luck than I did, Matt. I emailed a seller on eBay trying to sell a Lawbre staircase for about $20 bucks or so. I told her it was a Lawbre and if she used the name, it might sell faster. She must have looked them up because she used the name Lawbre and then upped the price to about $100. That was six weeks ago or so and she's still trying to sell that staircase.

I can't really tell what furniture is in the house just from what I'm seeing in those pictures, but I do know in the last picture, those cabinets on the wall are from BH Minis. If they were on eBay in their kit boxes, people would be in a bidding frenzy for them, me included. So maybe she does have several thousand dollars worth of stuff in that house.

If that's the case, she may do better splitting it up. TBH, I don't feel like most miniaturists would want a fully complete house. What's the fun in that? Maybe splitting it up into lots is too daunting though. There's A LOT in there.

11 hours ago, SewMini said:

Im wondering if it’s The Pierce

I don't think it is as I'm working on the Pierce is there a house that has doors to other rooms . The kind that have rooms on one side and then another that is big ?

21 minutes ago, NellBell said:

I don't think it is as I'm working on the Pierce is there a house that has doors to other rooms . The kind that have rooms on one side and then another that is big ?

I for the life of me can't figure out what house it is and it's driving me nuts. Here's hoping Matt comes through :D

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

She has no idea.  I was not rude but did ask for more pictures and the type of Greenleaf house.  This  is the response: " Thanks for the rude answer.  My mom built this over 20 years and was a collector for 40."  I told her "I was not meant to be rude, but you are clueless".  Ha!  She will wonder why she can't sell it after a while . . . 

And more:   "My mom talked with me about a year ago and told me what she had in that house.   She passed away three weeks ago, so don’t tell me.   You are the one who is clueless."  I replied:  "Best of Luck"

• Like 1

Clearly she has an emotional attachment to the house. Even if she's not a miniaturist, it belonged to her mom, and grief can keep us from seeing the true value of things.

That said, if she actually hopes to get 35k for it (and the collection is really worth that much), posting three pictures on Craigslist isn't the way to do that. It needs to be appraised, well photographed, and the items catalogued to show the value. She would probably be better off if she approached someone who resells miniature estates and let them deal with it. But maybe when it sits on Craigslist with no interest she'll explore that avenue.

When I die, I would be happy for my collection to go for free to a fellow miniaturist who would pick out the stuff they want and then pass the rest along to others. I don't have a lot of collector caliber stuff, but I'm also not under the delusion that my collection is worth more than or even as much a I've paid for it! Miniatures are a money pit and most of us are never going to get back as much money as we put into them, but thankfully the fun we have along the way is priceless. :) 

• Like 5

Honestly given her response I kind of feel like she’s overwhelmed with the passing of her mother and feeling the burden of trying to get rid of her stuff. If it were me, that would be one thing I’d set aside and try to offload when I was more emotionally able to think about it. The amount of stuff in there has got to be overwhelming and if you arent a miniaturist you probably have no idea how to handle it. I agree with fOV. It needs to be appraised and photographed.

I'd rather we didn't. Posts on the forum can seem like they're coming from the company (even though they aren't) and it does sound like she's overwhelmed already. I don't want it to seem like we're ganging up on her.

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Yup, I saw those BH cabinets as well. I have two of them in kit form. I love BH kits.. Can't wait to build these ones. When I saw them in that house it made me think she might have an amazing collection too. :)

I just sent her what I hope is a sweet email just asking if she'd be willing to sell single pieces or lots because I can't afford the $35,000 price tag. There is a beautiful shabby chic desk in one of the photos and some of the stuff in the kitchen and dining room looks cool. Hopefully she doesn't mind. I'd legit buy some of the pieces if she'd sell them separately. 

Hey everyone, I actually got in touch with the seller and she would definitely appreciate any guidance we can give. I do think she's overwhelmed so maybe we can help her here. Any advice? I was going to suggest she reach out to this lady who is a collectibles appraiser here in Chicago. That's the closest one to her I think that deals in miniatures

https://www.isa-appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser/profile/8533/linda-m-dembek

Any other ideas?

• Like 1