Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

5463 posts in this topic

Shipping overseas from the US is ridiculous.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/clt/d/handmade-dollhouse-pepperwood/6692877913.html

Decent Pepperwood Farmhouse for sale near Philly.  Always makes me laugh when I see these- they are almost ALWAYS painted yellow!  I know they are a replica of a real house, but c'mon....where is the imagination and creativity?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/d/old-large-colonial-doll-house/6734413802.html

Oh goodness.....PLEASE - tell it to STOP CALLING TO ME!!!!  :crazyeyes:  I need to stop looking at CL now...

But I keep hearing it say "Jackie, Jackie" in a wheedling little voice...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/d/old-large-colonial-doll-house/6734413802.html

Oh goodness.....PLEASE - tell it to STOP CALLING TO ME!!!!  :crazyeyes:  I need to stop looking at CL now...

 

What is it saying? "Jackie, please clean me, paint me and make me pretty again"? I can see why you like it!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG Holly!!  (clamping hands on my ears)  NO! NO! NO!  I have NO ROOM in my house for such another monstrosity! 

Little Devil In My Ear: "But you just recently renovated one like this- it would be SO easy for you to do!  Just sell one of your other houses to make room."

Me: (clamping hands even tighter around my ears) LALALALALALALALALALA!!!!  I'm NOT listening!  :headhurts:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

OMG Holly!!  (clamping hands on my ears)  NO! NO! NO!  I have NO ROOM in my house for such another monstrosity! 

Little Devil In My Ear: "But you just recently renovated one like this- it would be SO easy for you to do!  Just sell one of your other houses to make room."

Me: (clamping hands even tighter around my ears) LALALALALALALALALALA!!!!  I'm NOT listening!  :headhurts:

That is a great house and it needs some very special help .

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

not anymore hahahahahahaha ha

Wow, you are not kidding.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2018, 05:11:43, shannonc60 said:

ALL the shipping on Ebay and Etsy to Australia has gotten super ridiculous and I KNOW you can still get good shipping prices. I don’t buy much on either site now. The Ebay shipping calculators/global shipping program don’t help either.

No kidding! It really has gone mad. And since the law changed in July, Ebay are adding GST (tax) to everything, even shipping and ebay's global shipping are adding import duty. It's made everything so expensive! I thought GST wasn't supposed to apply to second hand items and seeing as I buy mostly vintage minis on ebay I'm not sure why I have to pay it, but according to them I do. :glare: It's really curtailed my shopping sprees. :badmood:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sam, I have to pay import duties on almost EVERYTHING here in denmark. If it comes from a professional seller I pay duties. The only way I don't is if the seller is really nice and lists it as a gift and even then the label can't look too formal or like it's from a website. Any of that will trigger import taxes. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Samusa said:

No kidding! It really has gone mad. And since the law changed in July, Ebay are adding GST (tax) to everything, even shipping and ebay's global shipping are adding import duty. It's made everything so expensive! I thought GST wasn't supposed to apply to second hand items and seeing as I buy mostly vintage minis on ebay I'm not sure why I have to pay it, but according to them I do. :glare: It's really curtailed my shopping sprees. :badmood:

I hate it too. From what I can gather, Ebay doesn’t have to apply GST - the govt can’t force them - they are doing it from the goodness of their hearts. I guess applying it wholly to everything is easier than trying to differentiate between new and used. FYI Etsy also charges fees on shipping and GST.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SewMini said:

sam, I have to pay import duties on almost EVERYTHING here in denmark. If it comes from a professional seller I pay duties. The only way I don't is if the seller is really nice and lists it as a gift and even then the label can't look too formal or like it's from a website. Any of that will trigger import taxes. 

I’m not surprised by that at all Miranda. We never used to have to pay it on any imports under $1000 but the law changed in July as a measure to try and get Australians to shop at brick and mortar stores which are suffering from the online onslaught from overseas and who felt they were unfairly disadvantaged because they had to collect sales tax and the online sellers didn’t. I can see their point, but Australia has a small population and as such the ability to have a large range of products isn’t viable. There just arent enough people to buy everything. So most Australians had to turn to online shopping for items we couldn’t get here. It’s a shame we are now penalised for it with not only the price of the item attracting 10% sales tax, but also the shipping costs getting taxed at 10% (already very high without the tax). And then import duty on top of that! If I had local mini stores, believe me I would shop at them. But the market just isn’t here. You can’t force a brick and mortar store to open or stay open by taxing imports. It’s just silly and feels like a cash grab when sales tax in this country was intended as a luxury tax, which meant second hand items are exempt. I still get the tax collected by our friends at eBay.

2 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

I hate it too. From what I can gather, Ebay doesn’t have to apply GST - the govt can’t force them - they are doing it from the goodness of their hearts. I guess applying it wholly to everything is easier than trying to differentiate between new and used. FYI Etsy also charges fees on shipping and GST.

That’s so nice of them:rolleyes:. I wouldn’t mind if they did it properly. I don’t mind paying the taxes I owe, I just have a problem with paying it on stuff I wouldn’t have to here. The ridiculous thing is, the things we buy aren’t even available here so it’s not like I can choose to shop Australian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh I have the same problem!! It’s practically impossible to find mini supplies here. My best bet is to order from neighboring EU countries. It’s so frustrating. They do have art stores but they pretty much exclusively sell paint supplies. I was so spoiled in the US with an art store that had wood and metalworking supplies. The one big craft store here, Panduro, is a joke. It’s basically the kids section of every craft store in the US.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well all I have to say about those duty fees and import taxes is that BLOWS!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Ugh I have the same problem!! It’s practically impossible to find mini supplies here. My best bet is to order from neighboring EU countries. It’s so frustrating. They do have art stores but they pretty much exclusively sell paint supplies. I was so spoiled in the US with an art store that had wood and metalworking supplies. The one big craft store here, Panduro, is a joke. It’s basically the kids section of every craft store in the US.

Yes, America is spoilt! :D so many options and free shipping on a lot of it! If only... often shipping costs me more than the item.

14 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

well all I have to say about those duty fees and import taxes is that BLOWS!

Preach sister!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So annoyed right now. I have been coveting an Artply Highland for years. I saw one two years ago, didn’t buy it and regretted it. I told myself I would buy the next one that came up.. but none did until yesterday when one came up on eBay with international shipping but not to Australia?? I contacted the seller and told them I wanted to buy it (I would have copped the postage and import duties for this one), would they be willing to ship to Australia and if so could they change their settings to allow me to buy it. (If shipping isn’t set to your country eBay greys out paying in the checkout area.) we messaged back and forth while they tried to figure out how to change it and I was getting cautiously excited. Then overnight, someone else swooped in and bought it:cry::cry: bye bye Artply Highland:bye2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Samusa said:

So annoyed right now. I have been coveting an Artply Highland for years. I saw one two years ago, didn’t buy it and regretted it. I told myself I would buy the next one that came up.. but none did until yesterday when one came up on eBay with international shipping but not to Australia?? I contacted the seller and told them I wanted to buy it (I would have copped the postage and import duties for this one), would they be willing to ship to Australia and if so could they change their settings to allow me to buy it. (If shipping isn’t set to your country eBay greys out paying in the checkout area.) we messaged back and forth while they tried to figure out how to change it and I was getting cautiously excited. Then overnight, someone else swooped in and bought it:cry::cry: bye bye Artply Highland:bye2:

Sam if this ever happens to you again just let me know. I'll buy it and get it shipped to you. I'm bummed for you!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry that happened to you! It was a good price, too. :(

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, My Miniature Madness said:

Sam if this ever happens to you again just let me know. I'll buy it and get it shipped to you. I'm bummed for you!

Thanks Jodi! I didnt even think to ask my mini friends for help.. it’s s lot to ask you know, especially for a large house kit. I should’ve known you’d come to my rescue!:doh: It was going really cheap too $69USD.. this loss hurt, but maybe there is another kit that will make a great mountain house out there. Maybe something smaller than the highland which would be better for space reasons. (Gotta build a home for your log bed. :D ). If anyone has ideas on a good starting point for a mountain ski house I’m open to suggestions. I have considered the Brookwood... 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now