Frustrated

LowcountryBelle

Okay, so I am brand new to this, got my first house that I am rehabbing and making into a Christmas Santa house. I am to the process of painting, wallpapering etc. Long story short I am struggling with indecisiveness, I think I get colors and walls figured out then it seems not to flow, I am trying to use as much furniture that came with it but I'm struggling with that too. The kitchen cabinets are what appears to be from a simple little kit (old) and I just do not like them...do I buy new cabinets?? Attempt to make new ones?? Try to modify what I have..again :dunno:?? 

This site is invaluable and the amount of talent you all have is just jaw dropping. I am in awe at all the amazing work on these beautiful houses. I have so much to learn, I feel overwhelmed tonight and I so want my house to be as beautiful as it possibly can be, I'm so scared I'm going to screw it up or not give it the justice it deserves...Did you all feel this way too when you first got started? 

Frustration comes and goes, as does motivation and inspiration. Don't force the build. If you don't like the cabinets (or any other part) don't use them - you will waste time and potentially money on something that will irk you in the future. Put in what you love and you can't go wrong. I find it useful to collect images that I like, then I can see if I think the ideas will work together. Scour Pinterest or magazines. See what you like in other people's builds. For me, I "know" when something is right. It seems to me that you know what is wrong here. Trust your instinct. And have fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LowcountryBelle said:

I feel overwhelmed tonight and I so want my house to be as beautiful as it possibly can be, I'm so scared I'm going to screw it up or not give it the justice it deserves.

Don't be frightened of your house.. there is nothing you could do to it that can't be fixed or re-done, short of burning it down with a box of matches. :D

This is meant to be fun! I agree with Shannon, don't use items you don't really like.. you will only regret it in the end. Alternatively, you could try to rehab it. I've seen some wonderful rehabs of all kinds of furniture. It's amazing even what a little paint can do. You can take most furniture apart by popping in in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to loosen the glue (remove any metal or plastic first) and then rebuild the pieces to something you love. You could line the insides of "glass doors with pretty fabric in your colour scheme. or line the shelves with paper or fabric. Change the door knobs.. change the legs.. change the counter-tops... the options are endless!... 

Can you show us some pictures of the furniture? Maybe we can help with suggestions for jazzing it up :)

I have "modified" (bashed) Michael's hutches to make kitchen cabinets.  You can easily make them out of card/ mat board.  I suggest you lose the "what I like" and listen to the house tell you what it wants.  Then you'll know it's right.  For pity sakes, don't be so afraid to make mistakes, it's how we learn things!

• Like 1

Like the others said, don't be afraid to make a mistake. I can't tell you how many times I have ripped stuff out (in the same room!!) before I thought something finally worked. This hobby will stretch your creativity and imagination in ways you don't anticipate. The moments of frustration make the successes exhilarating!

:oops:       +  :badmood:=         :banana:

• Like 1

Hi, Cindy. If complementary colors are being elusive, check out the suggested palette selections at your nearest paint store. They reflect themes, styles, etc. When you find one you like it will guide you to color choices that will please both you and the house.

• Like 1

Thank you all! I think I'm on information overload because the options are endless and I have limited knowledge of the options lol. I will definitely get some pictures hopefully later today of the furniture. And as Shannon & Seamus mentioned above if I do use these pieces that I'm not loving it WILL bug me forever, I was trying to use things that the previous owner before me had used because she had put so much time and love in it, but I now realize it's not working for me like I wanted it to. 

By the way y'all are also right with me being afraid of messing up, but great advise and reminding me short of burning it I can fix it :clap:. Thank you all for taking time for my wee hour rant, I am enjoying working on it, it blows my mind how I can sit in front of it for what seems like a short period of time but in reality I've been sitting there for hours! 

I have learned to be very zen about being paralyzed by indecision, and just practice patience and try everything before making a decision. 

Even though I want everything to be done quickly so I can enjoy playing with my completed house!

That is how I am - racing to get to what I envision for the dollhouse, when I should try to enjoy the journey itself.

<zen chimes>

• Like 1

One of my pet peeves when working was that there wasn't time to plan to do things right the first time, but one always had to find the time to do it over.  Part of the planning stage for me includes making samples, whether of finishes, techniques or actual objects

When I'm not sure if I'll like something (trim, etc.), I glue it in with a hot glue gun.  That way it is easy to remove it without damage if I don't like it.  When I make a final decision, I reglue it with tacky or wood glue.

As far as all of that furniture goes, the old saying, "Less is More" comes to mind. As an example, our club built 20 Primrose dollhouses for our show and a member called me to say how she couldn't fit all of the furniture she bought in that one small room and tiny attic space.  I suggested she only use a few pieces and decorate the walls with art, a throw on the chair, rugs on the floor, fill end tables with books and such. The finish product was perfectly cozy without being cluttered with too much furniture.