My first project is complete and it has special meaning!

rocks911

I spent a lot of time at my grandparents when I was a child. After my grandpa's passing I wanted to create a room box of their kitchen, as this is where we spent most of our time. I can still remember my grandpa sitting at his special place at the table and my grandma slaving over the store making one of her many, delicious suppers! It took me years to complete the room box because of time restraints but I can happily say that I think I'm complete! I actually completed it just in time to showcase it at my grandma's funeral. It was a huge hit!

IMG_2221.jpg

Started w/the outside; Family pictures at my grandparent's over the years

26715_329217580247_53800_n.jpeg

In progress- Photo of my Grandpa and niece at the kitchen table. Starting to looks so real!

table.jpg

My grandpa taught me how to color so a coloring book and crayons on the table were a must!

side.jpg

Walking into the kitchen; I always remembered the duck on the counter holding pens and bills, the family tree plaques and antlers above my grandpa's chair, some type of pie or baked good being prepped for baking on the counter, green Kool-Aid was always made in the waiting in the frig, my grandpa's inhailer always on the window sill by his chair at the table, the latest family photos stuck in the trim behind my Grandpa's chair, the rug that my Grandpa had to have under his feet when sitting at the table and the most important- cards on the table from the hundreds of crazy 8 games that were played!

sink.jpg

The retro metal sink and dumplings cooking on the stove (a family fav!)

stove.jpg

My grandparents only source of heat! This was also grandma's favorite way of cooking. Notice the huge burn mark on the floor- that was Grandma- she dropped the stove cover one day! Opps!

top.jpg

Top view of the entire roombox

gpa.jpg

My grandpa and his annual growing of his amaryllis. Notice it on the table!

GpaGma.jpg

My grandparents! My Inspiration! Miss them dearly!

• Like 7

This is wonderful!!!:clap:You've added so many special details.  What a beautiful tribute to them.  Did you make most of the items yourself?  So many of them seem unique and special to you.  You have done a spectacular job of recreating the kitchen, even down to the window treatment, tablecloth and flooring!

@ Deborah- the only think I didn't create was the table and chairs (although I did add the table cover-that was always a must with Grandma), telephone, toaster and the one fish hanging on the wall. It was so much fun and thank you for the kind words everyone!

Edited by rocks911
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh how lovely, it made me cry, very very special. I never had grandparents and having to make them up in  my head for a house so I am stealing bits of other folks Grands,

Yours  is beautiful tribute to them, and I an clearly see you put your heart into it, well done to you.