Paddington movie's dollhouse

minilover62

I just finished to see the Paddington movie and I am nuts about the movie house and the dollhouse in it!. I already launched a search to see if I can find the closest similar dollhouse kit to try to recreate this movie's house-dollhouse, any ideas are welcome!. I loved how they use the dollhouse to show us what each member of the house was doing at some point!, and the decoration of the movie's house is amazing. A tree in the hallway behind a gorgeous spiral staircase, a hallway on the second floor I believe full of pictures and the back wall of the girl's room full of small pictures as well. Simply awesome. Very colorful and kind of mid-century set up. I want to include a basement. As you see I am on a mission! 

Here is a link where you can see this amazing house http://hookedonhouses.net/2015/05/20/inside-the-colorful-house-from-the-paddington-movie/

You're welcome Kathie!

Carrie, I am still checking and the first ones that I looked were the UK ones, this one looks pretty close outside, but inside is too small https://www.craft-products.com/dh025-laurels-dolls-house-kit. I am starting to think that I might have to bash one of those vintage type houses that pop on Craigslist from time to time or maybe cut it myself with my husband's help. Hmmmm....

10 hours ago, minilover62 said:

I already launched a search to see if I can find the closest similar dollhouse kit to try to recreate this movie's house-dollhouse, any ideas are welcome!.

What a lovely project!  I'm a big Paddington fan.  

You did say any ideas ... so check out this one for the correct Georgian exteriors.  http://www.dollshouse.com/the-classical-dolls-house.  There are other good options on that site too.

It is front opening, if you want to recreate the doll house in the film exactly, but it could easily be bashed into an open back.  Of course the cost of shipping the kit would be dreadful (although the exchange rate is in your favor at the moment) but perhaps they sell the plans and you could get someone to cut it for you.

1 hour ago, Nell said:

You did say any ideas ... so check out this one for the correct Georgian exteriors.  http://www.dollshouse.com/the-classical-dolls-house.  There are other good options on that site too.

It is front opening, if you want to recreate the doll house in the film exactly, but it could easily be bashed into an open back.  Of course the cost of shipping the kit would be dreadful (although the exchange rate is in your favor at the moment) but perhaps they sell the plans and you could get someone to cut it for you.

Thanks G, this is the first place I checked and like you said, the shipping is a bit scary, but it is a great reference to match the style. My idea for now (you all know how it is, lol) is to do my project as close as the original as possible, so I know by now ( I went to bed late last night surfing the web) that finding a kit like this will be close to impossible, but at the end of my busy night I found that Greenleaf has a kit that gave some ideas, the Gloucester (out of stock now). I used Gina's measurements (thanks Gina!) to have an idea of the size of this Gloucester house, and I think I want my house larger, so the reality of cutting the bones of my house is almost the way to go. I still have to visit my only local DH store and see if by a miracle they have something close to what I want. Finding all the goodies for this house will be a blast! I love Paddington!

• Like 1

This sounds like a fabulous project. I had no idea about the Paddington house.  I loved Paddington when I was growing up.  Too bad on the shipping for the house Nell found, but I'm sure you'll come up with something.  I, too, can't wait to see it!

I was thinking you could bash a Franklin Street house, but I think it would be too cramped.

5.jpeg

Have you tried looking for Sid Cooke houses? Those are very pretty and there are some townhouse styles. With basements!

georgian%20townhouse%20lg-500x500.jpg

Maplestreet.co.uk

Yes, so far I checked almost everything that looks georgian, or town house style. It is like you say Jenn, some houses have the look but they are not wide enough to recreate the movie's house. I will have to watch the movie again, this time paying more attention to some details like for example, the house from outside looks like if it had only a room on one side and the hallways on the other. Only 2 windows per floor, but inside we can see rooms on both sides and a hallway in the middle. Most dollhouse kits have 3 windows per floor whne they have this layout, so it is going to be a compromise here. I want the 2 rooms/1 hallway layout, but I only want the 2 windows per floor. 

This Laurels kit is almost perfect, except that it only has one room and the hallway, I would need to bash it to add the room on the other side and do something about the front panel, and the basement.Yikes! It has a very good price, but I don't know yet about the shipping.

laurelnew.jpg

laurelnewint.jpg

Also, I want to be able to have the living room with the kitchen on the back. Am I too pretentious? Mine would be a big house, maybe too big...but it is what I want, oh boy!lol

How about 1/2 scale??

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to buy today an old sealed version of the GL Emerson Row kit for this project. My idea is that the front of the Emerson will be the back of the Paddington. I will add a 3rd floor and hopefully some extra panels to be able to have 4 rooms-spaces per floor. Lastly I will make a new front panel (including the basement) that will look like (or close) the movie's house-dollhouse. I need to find or make (must likely make) a couple of spiral staircases.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello Has anyone made a Paddington movie dolls house? I would love to see the pictures. Is it better to adapt an existing design or make a bespoke one up? My Dad is a carpenter but I would need to give him the measurements. Thanks

Hello Has anyone made a Paddington movie dolls house? I would love to see the pictures. Is it better to adapt an existing design or make a bespoke one up? My Dad is a carpenter but I would need to give him the measurements. Thanks