Total newbie

Hi everyone! My name is Kate, and I've never put together a dollhouse before. My grandmother had an amazing one, and I'd like to follow in her footsteps. I've ordered an Asahi Tea House and Greenhouse.

I spend a lot of time tending to my plants, so I'm VERY excited to make my dream mini-greenhouse. 

I want to include brick and moss. I'd like to wrangle miniature ivy and peonies. I can't wait to apply roofing tiles!

I have no photos of my work yet, but I will be eager to post, when I do.

How does everyone find a good selection of miniature plants?

-Kate, 35, California, USA

• Like 2

Welcome Kate, Very Glad to meet you. This is such a great place to find all the answers you may have. Everyone here is Very Friendly and Super Talented! I can't wait to see your progress. 

Welcome to the forum! A greenhouse sounds like fun. Flowers or fruit/vegetables?

I know you can make your own plants - I attended a 4-hour workshop and made (painstakingly) a bouquet of flowers in a vase. Each petal was glued on using tweezers. Maybe if I practiced more, I would be able to do it in less time. The bouquet is precious, just not sure I want to do it again, though I did purchase two other kits for "someday when I have more time and patience." 

Welcome to the little family, Kate.  We have some flower artisan members (Shelly Norris), they started out just like our food artisan members, our doll-making artisans (Julie Campbell, Jodi Creager, to brag & name two of my favorites), making things until they got really, really good at it.  I'm not good at it, but I make my own dolls, food & flowers, as well as furniture and accessories I put into my houses, or what others have made, in preference to store bought.

Welcome, Kate.  The first mini project I ever made was a half-scale greenhouse, and I still like to "visit" it to destress.  :)  Two of my favorite places for plant kits (they have 1:12 scale, too) are The Miniature Garden and SDK Miniatures.  The Miniature Garden offers pre-punched  kits; SDK gives you laser-cut sheets that you paint yourself.  There are also hundreds of tutorials for miniature plants on the Web.  Check out https://www.pinterest.com/dmarioalvarez/miniaturas-de-jard%C3%ADn-miniature-garden/ on Pinterest for a nice selection of tutorials for plants and garden accessories, as well as inspiration.  Finally, I like Heritage Laserworks for window boxes, trellises and garden accessories, and Braxton Payne for pots.

• Like 1

Welcome Kate! :wave:  I always thought it would be wonderful to make a greenhouse....but trying to make my own plants just makes my head spin!  LOL  I'd have to rely on the artisans and pick up my plants at area mini shows.  ;)