Painting the exterior

nolephan

HI All,

So, I've learned my lesson about "following" topics that I might need later! A few months ago, there was a thread going about painting the exterior of a house. The originator didn't want to put up siding, but didn't like the "rough" look of just painting the plywood exterior. Someone suggested prepping the exterior walls with something (?) that would help to smooth out the surface. Does this ring any bells?

• Like 1

Drywall compound. You can get a tub of it at a home improvement store. Spread it on thinly with a large putty knife, scrape of excess. Wait 24 hours to dry. Sand smooth with  sponge sander, preferably outside.  Use a primer as a first coat. Sand again and paint with final coat.

note: a primer is important on drywall compound. 

Other materials mentioned where spackle. There are two types of spackle. One is light and fuffy and can contain a lot of polymers which can be difficult to sand smoothly after about a week or so when it has had time to cure. This is good if you want to stucco the house.

The other type of spackle is like drywall compound.   

I also like premixed sanded grout for its sandy texture.

• Like 2