Solar Eclipse on August 21

rodentraiser

Will anyone be watching this? I'm a couple hours away from the path and if anyone wants to go with me, I may float down to where it's a partial eclipse. I doubt I'll be able to get nearer than that and I really don't want to. It's August (hot), it's fire season, and people will be crazy.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/total-solar-eclipse-casts-spotlight-on-rural-oregon-town/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=RSS_seattle-news

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

• Like 3

I'm way too far off the path to even consider it. Have seen eclipses of both sun and moon in my 76 years and don't feel a need to make any special effort to see this one. It is going to pass right over Marshall, Missouri, where we used to spend our summers. I understand from friends there that all of the RV parks and campgrounds were reserved months and months ago and farmers are renting out camping spaces. They're expecting a huge influx of people. Don't know where they're going to put them. It's a very small town.

I'm here in Alaska and we will still have lots of day light so we are hoping to see a glimpse. They said last evening on the news we may be able to see a Sliver ....I'm going to be watching. 

Doesn't look like I will have a view, but thanks for posting. I love to look at the sky at night in wonder.

Have any of you used the phone apps that identify constellations and planets? I had one on my old phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Great map ... it shows that at least a partial eclipse will be seen everywhere in the US. Now, if we can figure out how to move the clouds out of the way ... :hmm: