Hi, all - Richmond VA

lisap

Hi - thanks to whomever pointed me here!  I'm actually joining because I need to scale down my holdings.  I am working with a small, square jobby, probably homemade, making tribute to the Dutch golden age... rather obsessed with that era.  I can't draw or paint, so I thought, omigosh I could make a 3D 'painting'!  I haven't made much progress in the last 2 years.  I'm ending up in 3/4 scale since many of the '1:12' items I bought weren't the size I expected :) and I need the ceilings to seem higher, anyway.  I did a cool wall treatment to look like the yellowish cement in paintings, finally found the b&w flooring I needed... and stalled out.  I have several indoor miniature gardens, each with 1-2 feature live plants.

So here's what interrupted me 2 years ago: live miniatures; I got mice in the house.  Before I knew it, they were everywhere.  Had to gut my pantry and move to all glass-jar storage.  Struggled through catching them humanely (and cleaning a lot, as you can imagine)... released many until I learned housemice can't survive outdoors.  So these days I build Crittertrail houses for a few happy captives with my spare time. :0 

I have a second house that I'd like to sell, I think is Greenleaf from the 1980s and posted about that ID search.  It's super fun to find you guys!  I'm not sure how often I can engage, but I didn't expect to find such an active forum.  As a comment, we have a dollhouse store in Richmond, VA, pretty cool.  I met the gal on Etsy before she opened it, and she rehabs.  I look forward to seeing what everyone is up to, I read several of the other newbies' intros before writing this.  Cheers!  Lisa 

Welcome to the little family, Lisa.  Traci/ New Day lives in Richmond and the few times we were able to get together she took me to the miniature shops there.  DH had a VA environmental agency, to help count waste tires, and while we were gone wild mice got into our Havana house.  Based on prior experience with feral rodents I was NOT humane in ridding the house of them.  This forum has been around quite a while, but in its present form since 2005.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Lisa.  Traci/ New Day lives in Richmond and the few times we were able to get together she took me to the miniature shops there.  DH had a VA environmental agency, to help count waste tires, and while we were gone wild mice got into our Havana house.  Based on prior experience with feral rodents I was NOT humane in ridding the house of them.  This forum has been around quite a while, but in its present form since 2005.

Thank you, Holly!  The one, new shop we have now is quite nice, there are several houses fully decorated and she displays the items for sale beautifully.  She consults/teaches too, wish I had the time to take advantage of it.

Ugh, sorry you had the mouse ordeal, too.  I have birds and dogs, and couldn't find a killing method I was comfortable with... I also thought I had 'a' mouse in the beginning, and I've since learned there's no such thing. :) 

I've had such a nice time popping around the site today - and am so impressed with its longevity, through changes or otherwise!  I'd looked before and never found you all, glad I did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/13/2017, 7:33:39, New Day said:

Hi Lisa! Welcome.

I know the shop you mentioned and it is great! There is also a local club, if you are interested. :)

Thanks Traci!  Yes I'd love to come to a meeting.  How do we contact each other? (or just post the info here?)  I'm down by Woodlake, and I'm guessing that the meeting is more near Short Pump :) which is okay.

Lisa, you will want to use the PM/ personal messaging feature on the forum to exchange personal info.  If you hover your cursor over Traci's username you will get a drop down box.  Click on the envelope icon to send a PM.

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Lisa, you will want to use the PM/ personal messaging feature on the forum to exchange personal info.  If you hover your cursor over Traci's username you will get a drop down box.  Click on the envelope icon to send a PM.

Thanks. :)