help with wallpaper

ecowdell

I'm REALLY frustrated trying to put wallpaper on this wall.  Does anyone have any tricks or tips for getting around all that window trim?  It's securely glued on there so removing the trim isn't really an option.  I'm at a loss here...

20170618_201449.jpg

You can use graph paper and measure out the dimensions exactly. (Free printable) Make a template and then trace it onto the back of the wallpaper paper. The graph paper is really helpful for me, because it helps me keep my lines straight, and the squares equal about an inch.

If you are good at matching patterns, do it it sections like real life. Might be easier to cut around the windows?

I just finished wallpapering my Jefferson... The most important thing I learned... Do it before the walls are glued together. :doh: I did the very best I was able. I noticed your windows have angled wood above, Mine didn't, they just had square trim. I took a piece of computer paper and just pressed it against the wall and ran my fingers around the edges to make a crease. I did my best to measure what I could and then *eyeballed* the rest. It was a slow and long project but I finished it up this evening. I used mini wall paper prints I found on line and printed them from my printer on Card Stock paper and used just plan Kids Glue Sticks to glue it.... It dries quickly and seemed to work very well. I wish you good luck, Just be very patient..... (((HUGZ))) 

• Like 1

For a wall with windows with fiddly trim cut scrap paper into strips and small pieces to fit in sections and tape the sections together as you fit them to the wall and around the windows (or doors, should you ever have that issue) and write "front" on the paper patchwork.  When you have covered the wall and have a precise fit, remove your paper patchwork and you will have a pattern to cut your wallpaper to fit.  Lightly mark the "up" of the wallpaper pattern on the back in pencil.  Lay the pattern "front" side down on the back of your wallpaper piece (making sure to check that the top of the pattern is in the same direction as the "up"  mark) and you are good to cut.

• Like 6

Is the trim attached to the windows, or to the wall? (I mean, is it built into the window which was then inserted into the wall from this direction? Or is it just pieces of trim glued to the wall around the window opening?)

I wouldn't be able to wallpaper that without taking the trim off, so my approach would probably be to break it off and replace it, assuming you can do so without also destroying the windows. I know that's not what you asked for...

Oh, another idea is to do a messy job papering around the trim and then add some fancy window treatments that cover up the messy parts.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Dingence said:

Since this is my first post, I would like to share something which would be useful to you. I had many confusions about wallpapers after moving to our new home in Mississauga. Here are some tips on how to wallpaper around the windows and doors.

https://www.clerawindows.com/blog/how-to-wallpaper-around-windows-and-doors/

Umm, since your link is to wallpapering in a full sized house, you may not be aware that we are miniaturists working in much smaller scale. In fact, we can sometimes paper our walls flat on a table or worksurface prior to installing them in the house. :D  

• Like 1

The best way to approach this is to use regular paper of any kind so you don't waste your good wallpaper. First, measure the size of the wall you're going to wallpaper. Then try to measure the size and placements of the windows and cut those out. Fit the paper to the wall.

At this point, you may need to have a pencil handy so you can mark what and where you need to cut more or less of. Once you do that, copy your paper onto another sheet with the refinements done and fit to the wall again.

It's tedious and it's a PITA, but it can be done. What you're doing is making a series of refinements to your paper until you can fit it in the way you want. Then for the final cut, trace it on to your wallpaper.

Cut the openings out on the wallpaper just a little smaller than they are. Then wallpaper over the wall and carefully tuck the overlap of paper under the interior window frames with your fingernail. You may even have to use a toothpick to get around the top and bottom trim.

With windows facing you, if you can't tuck all the paper underneath the interior trim, most people aren't going to see it anyway. For windows on the side wall, you may be able to take a very sharp exacto blade and run that along the edges to cut off the excess wallpaper.

Make sure the wallpaper paste is dry, because if you try to do any of this while it's wet, all you'll do is tear chunks of wallpaper away from the windows.

Hope this helps.