First Timer - Glue

14 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone! I am starting my very first project - The Orchid. I have read all the instructions thru and it states to use hot glue. However after reading several comments I see most people are using Tacky glue. Is this best? Which glue will stand the test of time? Thank you in advance for any help / advise!

Missy 

Edited by Missy A

Hot glue is a no-no around here.  I have heard horror stories about houses put together with the hot glue.  I like Titebond glue, but Gorilla glue is also good.  Everyone has their own preferences and you will too after trying several different brands. 

1 person likes this

Hi Missy,

Welcome.

Everyone has there own preference for glue.(NO HOT GLUE)

I have tried Gorilla glue, Titebond, and Weldbond. They all seem to hold the same. So far I prefer Weldbond because it dries clear. But most of the brands do have "dry clear options".

I am very sloppy with the glue...(working on being neater) I found having a wet rag in a Tupperware container handy helps keep my fingers cleaner. Most glues don't stain well, so you can leave fingerprints in areas and not know it until stain is applied.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, 1martinimomma said:

Hot glue is a no-no around here.  I have heard horror stories about houses put together with the hot glue.  I like Titebond glue, but Gorilla glue is also good. 

Hot glue is definitely a no-no. In time it will dry out and the house will fall apart. I would avoid Gorilla glue. It expands when it dries and can throw off the fit.

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

I am very sloppy with the glue...(working on being neater) I found having a wet rag in a Tupperware container handy helps keep my fingers cleaner. Most glues don't stain well, so you can leave fingerprints in areas and not know it until stain is applied.

Good idea. Baby wipes are handy for finger cleaning, too.

2 people like this

Melissa, I have an Orchid that was built with hot glue (I found it in a thrift store) with parts falling off.  I look for houses built with hot glue because I can take the heat gun to them, scrape off all the nasty hot glue, and rebuild them properly with wood glue.  I do use clear drying tacky glue for the clear plastic door and window inserts.  The first dollhouse I ever rehabbed completely was a Laurel that had been built with hot glue, and this is what it looked like when I got it:

the exterior:  beforethe interior:  before

I hope you will post us an introduction  in the Newcomers' Forum.

2 people like this

NO GLUE!! :blowup:.... I hate Hot Glue... LOL.... But like Holly said, Heating it helps get it off... I also use Weldbond or Elmer Wood Glue. The Elmers though does dry with a yellow tint so I'm careful where I use it. Can't wait to see you project! 

1 person likes this

Hey Missy, welcome!

Do you have the updated instructions? CLICK

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Thank you so much Holly! Once I figure out the website I'll get some of my beginning pictures posted!

19 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

19 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Am I replying right to the comments? I cant figure out if I'm to select Quote? 

Thank you all for your tips! 

35 minutes ago, Missy A said:

Am I replying right to the comments? I cant figure out if I'm to select Quote? 

To reply to one comment, click on the Quote.

To reply to more than one comment, click on the Plus Sign for each one you want to comment on. Then click on the link that says Quote 2 (or more) Posts

1 person likes this

You can also reply in the comment box at the bottom of the Topic. The box on iPhone says "Reply to this topic". This way you are not quoting an individual, just commenting to the topic in general.

1 person likes this

You can also add to a discussion without quoting, and the box at the bottom says "Reply to this Topic" on my laptop, too.

1 person likes this

Just wanted to jump in with my three cents here: My Greenleaf (first one!) came with otherwise fabulous instructions that said to use hot glue. I quickly realized that hot glue is great for holding something in place, just a little dot here and there, while the wood glue dries. I've been spending a lot of my build time now taking apart hot glued bits, or sanding down the glue lumps, or using my Dremel to heat up the glue overspill so I can wipe it away. 
Thankfully, the instructions have not lied to me any other way :)