New member from Maine

Well, about me, over the years I have built some miniatures but all my own design, not much of a picture taker so no pictures.  About 5-6 years ago I was at Mardens ( a salvage place in Maine) and bought a dollhouse kit that was fairly inexpensive just to try it out, it is the Dura craft house called the Newburg, at $29. I figured it was worth it for my first try at a kit dollhouse.  It is however still in the box.  What brought me here was a project that will probably take me a long time, I am hollowing out an old tree stump to make a small house, it is still a work in progess as I am trying to get to just the right angle so a fairly large hollow place that was probably a branch  can be a balcony accessed by a spiral staircase that continues to the second floor.  I have been perusing the web getting ideas on the furnishings and occasionally picking items up.  I would like to build a lot of the furnishings myself.  I have most of the small equipment to do smaller woodworking, and am experienced in building items other then dollhouses. 

This is the first summer that I have had time to take on new projects, previously I was working 12 hour night shifts and keeping up my farm too, not much time for anything else but essentials. I am now retired from the Medical Technologist night job and working the farm.  I am thinking this winter would be a good time to start on the dollhouse if I get my kitchen renovations finished before then.  

I see there are several new members here, but many of the topics I saw are years old, I still need to find my way around and discover the newer topics.

• Like 2

I have found that the best way to get around is to go to My Activity Streams and create your own custom stream by setting your preferences. You then have to set a default to that custom stream so it's is always there for you.

Welcome!

Is a salvage place like a thrift store up North?

We have salvage places in Florida but they are items you would find in a real life house.  Like Windows, doors and bathtubs. 

Mardens buys huge lots of items from stores that don't store their overstock,  frequently it is craft items, all different kinds, they have some furniture, rugs and floor tile, lots of clothing, lots of food, bakeware, dishes, and odd things like the other day was a whole lot of hammocks, you never know what you will find in there.  I bought a big Briggs and Stratton upright air compressor with a full set of tools for $100 last summer.  A couple of years ago I was looking for a double recliner, they were all well over $1000, I went in Mardens with a friend and there was a double Barco Lounger with pillows for $275. And the other person that bought one didn't want their pillows so they threw them in.  I bought my mini Dremal wood turner there, box kind of mangeled but  all parts accounted for and have use it often.  It is kind of an adventure going in there!

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcomes!  Do any of you know if there is a supplier of miniature clock movements, I have searched for a working pendulum clock part to make a grandfather clock but not found anything small enough.  I know there are small inserts for just time, but would like a working clock.  There was a kit many many years ago that was a working grandfather clock.