Bad News Bears

rodentraiser

As most of you know, I live in subsidized housing - a single room with a shared bathroom and kitchenette. This morning I was told I have "too much stuff" in the room and most of it has to go. My room has been like this for 4 1/2 years so why they're getting their tails in a twist now, I don't know, especially since I want to be out of here next year.

But...I need to get rid of my sofa, my bookcases, my little fake stove heater, and a ton of my books and magazines, not to mention the cabinet where I keep all my miniature stuff with the dollhouse on top. I keep all the miniature catalogs up by my bed and the manager motioned towards those. I told her I go through those almost on a daily basis, but that makes no nevermind to her, I guess.

So it looks like I have to get a storage locker and move a lot of stuff in there. I'm going to try to keep the catalogs here, but it may be that I won't have them close to hand anymore. If that's the case, I may not be as fast to give you guys IDs on houses. I apologize ahead of time for this.

There's a bright side, though. Maybe if I have a storage locker, I can do more work on what houses I have now.

• Like 1

Oh, Kelly. I am so sorry. I agree with Susie, everything is going to work out even better than you thought! I hate when I have to have a storage unit, but it sounds like moving stuff over might just be helpful in a year when you're moving!

Good luck, and I hope there's a silver lining to this you haven't even seen yet.

• Like 1

Kelly,

I am heart felt sick for you.  So, very sorry this has happened to you.  I loved reading the 4th paragraph, as least you have a positive attitude toward the problems you are encountering.  You go GIRL, nothing can stop a person with your big heart,  great personality and a love of life.

• Like 1

I so enjoy reading everything you write..... You are always up beat,and have your own sense of humor.....things sometime happen for a reason...(maybe) your houses are calling. Hope things work out for you...

Subsidized or not, I think this people are very inconsiderate and rude, maybe they do not contemplate that they might be in the same situation later on, and most likely will not appreciate to be treated this way. Everything is changing so much so fast here, unbelievable. I hope you can find another place soon and keep all your stuff as you wish, you deserve it and we need it too! 

So sorry to hear what you're going through.  I hope things work out for you and that you can find a better, bigger place soon.  I'm glad you at least don't have to get rid of things.  Hope you do get to enjoy working on your houses more.  Good wishes coming your way.

Well, the big excuse for me getting rid of stuff is the gurney issue. The layout of my room is that it's a rectangular space. If you split it in half, my room is on one end and the other space is split again into the bathroom with the kitchenette beside it. So you walk through the kitchenette into my room. But I have the fridge on that side, sort of blocking access (you do have to sort of squeeze through). Now the manager is saying that because that space is so narrow, EMTs wouldn't be able to get a gurney through and I'm like, WHO CARES? They can lift me, if necessary (of course, I probably outweigh them). I hate living in subsidized housing. They're so nosy about what you do and what you have in your room. So I have to move the fridge and get rid of the bookcase behind it to make room for a non-existent gurney in case I need to go to the hospital. They asked me if I ever read any of those books in the bookcase and I said All. The. Time! Which I do and which is why the pages are falling out of all of them.

And there's more bad news. The 10 x 5 unit I rented in 2012 for $55/month is now $115/month. So I guess whatever I get rid of will have to be stored in a smaller 5 x 6 space. So...no workspace. I can afford a larger space, I suppose, but I do want to put money into savings now.

And speaking of (not) saving money, I just bought another dollhouse. It's OK, I have the first check from disability, the second is supposed to arrive in the next day or so, and I also received the first check of the back payment a couple weeks ago. So I finally have money in savings and checking, the first accounts I've had since 2008. I actually have more money than I've seen in the past 9 years and more than enough for me to live on if I live here, even if it won't rent an apartment in this city. But I have to tell you guys, if I decide to live out of my car to save some money, I'll be the richest homeless person you've ever seen!

Anyway, I don't mean to be so negative and I really thank you all for listening to me grouse here. I'll figure something out. Thank you for all the support. Hugs and kisses to all of you!!!

• Like 2

Storage units are ridiculously expensive these days! The hubs has a trailer for his business but it can't be in our driveway according to the HOA's. So when it's not at the job side we pay $65/mo just for a parking spot in the storage yard. You are very wise in the attitude you've taken. Take a deep breath, comply and wait for the opportunity for the perfect situation to come along. It's frustrating when you're not the one in control, but having a little "if ~bleep~ hits the fan" money in the bank gets some of that back for you. 

Shannon, no, there's really no one nearby that has the room. Besides, now we're talking bedbugs. If there are bedbugs, I don't want to give anything I have here in the room to anyone until it's sprayed and they're spraying on the 11th.

Thank you, Jodi. This is the weekend. I'm going to put my head under the blankets and ignore the whole thing.

Sable, I don't have a scanner. If it was just the Miniature Catalogs, that would be one thing. But I also go through my magazines on a pretty constant basis and I only have a couple hundred of those, more of less (probably more). Besides, I get my info from ads and all sorts of stuff, so I'd be scanning the whole issues from now till I passed away from old age. I can only imagine what magazine companies went through going to digital format.Yikes!

Meantime, things are getting hairier. The building has to be sprayed for bedbugs. The sprayers need to be able to access every corner and item, including the insides of drawers. That means I have to put any food not in a tin can in the fridge or freezer, and I also have to empty out my drawers and closets. The guys coming aren't supposed to have to move furniture and this is where the problem comes in.

My sofa is blocking the closet door and my boxes are stacked up in there. The only way to access the closet is to move the sofa and the only way to access all the corners of my closet is to move the boxes. The only way to access the books behind my bed is to move the bed and possibly one bookcase. To move the bed, you pretty much have to put all the boxes back in the closet and move the sofa back. So I can take apart one side of the room or the other, but not both. If I take apart both sides, there's no room for anyone to get in.

I simply can't take items and furniture out of the room because then they won't be sprayed and I could be bringing bedbugs back into the room when the guys are done. Likewise I don't want to put anything in storage until the spraying is done because I don't want to bring any bedbugs into a storage area. We're supposed to bag all cloth items (clothes, blankets, etc) and take them out of the building and wash them at a commercial laundromat. I don't know why - washing anything in hot water and then drying on high heat will kill bedbugs and I can do that here.

About the only thing I can do for now is to throw out my plastic tree in the dumpster. And the manager told me to give that to Goodwill. But if there's bedbugs in stuff, do I really want to give that to Goodwill? So the whole thing is crazy. I'd laugh under any other circumstances.

Where's the hitting-your-head-against-the wall smilie when I need it?

5 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Geez, what a pain. Could you put your stuff in storage (even temporarily) and treat that yourself? Before or after putting it in storage.

I suspect if Kelly could afford to do that, she could afford to move.

Shannon, it's one of the reasons I don't want to take anything out of the room before it's sprayed. At least I know afterward I shouldn't have to worry about bedbugs and I don't have to shoulder the cost. Apparently, bedbugs are an epidemic right now in the county. The biggest problem is they're resistant to so many pesticides, only the biggest and baddest and most expensive pesticides kill them now. The second problem is there seems to be only one company doing the exterminating, so by the time they get to whomever needs them, a few bedbugs have turned into thousands. 

I'm hoping in a year when I get my last back payment, I can afford to buy some land somewhere. I won't be able to put a house on it, but I can move a trailer on to it and put up a shed with electricity. That shed would be my workshop and I'd have a place for all the dollhouses. In fact, I was hoping to start looking for land this summer. But I didn't know that they give out the back payment over a year's time. I'll receive the second check in December and finally the third one next June. That may not be the worst thing ever, because it would give me some time to stash more money away. But I'm really going to be curtailed on that if I have to pay storage every month plus a higher rent, now that I'm getting more money in.

Of course, that little situation isn't being helped by buying a another dollhouse, either. :blush: So I guess I can't complain too much, can I?

Yeah, me too. The only thing that sticks in my craw is that my room has been like this for 4 1/2 years and now they're upset about it? My room is neat and not a fire hazard and on top of that, I just passed a room inspection with the Housing Authority less than a month ago. What I really think is happening is now that I have a regular income coming in, they might be trying to push me to the other side of the building where the regular apartments are. Those are the ones that are open to the public to rent and go for $650 - $700 or more a month and they're not low income.

Well, I guess I can deal with this for a year if I have to. It will give me some time to save up some more money and clean up my credit score a little more. And putting stuff into storage may not be all bad. There will be a transition between leaving here and having a place to live anyway, so I might be in my car a couple months while I find a trailer or something to live in when I move. So stuff would have to go into storage anyway. And if everything was in storage, then maybe I could leave in my autoMObile to crisscross the US for a year or so, something I've always wanted to do. I'll come visit all you guys! LOLOLOL

Anyway, it will all work out.

• Like 2

My thoughts on storage units, thanks to Suzi Orman for enlightening me:

25 years ago I decided to put our baby furniture into a storage unit thinking my grandchildren could one day use it. Other assorted stuff began to get stored there. It was costing about $80 per month to store this stuff. It was five years later that I realized I had spent $4,800 on storage fees for assets that had a value of $350.  I immediately, closed the unit and donated everything to Goodwill. IMO storage units are for very short term periods.

25 years later and I still don't have grandchildren. If I had kept the unit all of these years I would have paid approx $30,000.   That's a lot of baby furniture.

i just thought of another example. My BIL had three units at $300 per month to store all of the stuff he moved from NC to Vegas which he didn't want in the Vegas condo. For 5 years these units sat untouched. The estate sales company has sold most of this stuff for about $2000. So he spent about $18,000 for items only worth $2k.  Such a waste of money!

• Like 1

I would hope that my things in storage would only be there a year or so. After that, if they don't fit in the trailer I plan to put on the property, I'll just put a larger shed on it instead and store the stuff there.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it went well or not. Supposedly, it can take up to 3 weeks for the fumigation to take effect. Now Lisa and I took as many books and magazines out to my car as we could. I still had 3 shelves of books still in my room and the guy sprayed those. But I was still finding bedbugs up to last week and our maintenance guy said they were probably in the books that didn't sit out in the heat in the car.

Well, there wasn't room for them in my car and by now, all the other books and mags are back in my room. So I was told I might need to get rid of all my books and I said there was no way I was going to spend thousands of dollars replacing books because they couldn't keep bedbugs out of their building.

So that standoff is where we are today. I think a 30 day check will be coming up soon and I'll know for sure if the bugs are gone or not. Thing is, I may not have them in my room but because the guy didn't spray any baseboards in the hallways or the old sofa in the mailbox room (which I don't sit on anymore), for all I know they're coming in from the hallway. Yes, I am looking forward to leaving here.

Anyhoo, for now I've decided not to put anything into storage unless I'm forced to. Management only comes in this room once a year, so I'll take my chances and keep all my stuff in here.

Thanks for asking!