Bad News Bears

rodentraiser

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the ess aitch eye tee has hit the fan again. We're at the 30 day mark since my room was last sprayed and I still have bedbugs. I'm supposed to get my room sprayed again on Tuesday and today management came in to see how I was doing "getting ready" to be sprayed.

Oh, please.

All I would normally have to do is pull my bed out because that's what they need to spray. But now these guys want ALL my books and magazines...somewhere. ? I don't know where to put them. I got yelled at because I was still the only unit with bedbugs (no, I'm the only one reporting them) and all my books were supposed to be in my car? in storage? Well, where?

I told them I wasn't going to be liable for bringing bedbugs into a storage center. Then I was told I needed to put the books in my car. WHY? IF the books have bedbugs in them, then all that does is spread them to my car where I can pick them up and bring them in again, and further, when the books come back to my room, they still have bedbugs. Plus, Lisa had to help me move them last time. Physically, I can't move all those books by myself. Trying to explain all that got me yelled at even more.

Seriously, I thought they were going to give me a 10 day vacate notice.

But the upshot was that they brought me some plastic bags and all the books will go in there. So will the shadowbox, all my miniatures in my cabinet, my computer, monitor, and modem, and all the bedding and sofa coverings. Then some bombs will go in the bags and hopefully kill everything in the bags.

Then they're going to lift my sofa (and I'd give a lot to see that happening - my books taken off the shelves will make a small mountain 4 ft high) and then the bed gets taken apart and that gets sprayed. For the third time.

This is where it's gonna be different, though. Both my mattress and box spring have a bedbug cover on them. This sounds great except for a couple of things. One, the cover is torn in umpteen places. I've got tape in as many places as possible, but it's still wearing out. Second, the springs in my bed have made a hole through both sides of the mattress and one side of the box spring. For this reason, I'm thinking the bedbugs are in between the bedbug cover and the mattress, or the cover and the box spring, and I also think they're probably in the mattress and box spring themselves.

So this time the covers come off and the insides of the mattress and box spring get sprayed as well as the outside.

This is a nightmare.

At any rate, everything in the bags will need to stay in the bags for a couple of days. That means I'll be sitting here twiddling my thumbs with no computer and I'll be offline for that length of time. I doubt I'll be missed, but I'm so frustrated by this whole thing that I had to get it out. Lisa's already taken the brunt of my whining today, but I still had some more inside to get out.

But if this doesn't work, I'll be putting stuff in storage whether I like it or not and living in my car again, at which time I'll be totally off line. So wish me luck!

5 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I doubt I'll be missed, ... But if this doesn't work, I'll be putting stuff in storage whether I like it or not and living in my car again, at which time I'll be totally off line. So wish me luck!

You'll be missed, Kelly, big time! What a nightmare! Leading an anti-bedbug dance for a successful outcome. :carrot::banana::pepper:

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, I'm much calmer today. Well, that may be because I wasn't able to sleep last night and didn't drift off till 7am. At 8, we had a fire alarm go off and we were all outside until 10:30. I'm just now making something to eat, then I'll be unconscious for the day.

I talked to the manager again and someone will help me with the books. Not today, obviously. Sprinklers came on in a couple of rooms and there's a massive clean up operation going on now. We had two fire engines and umpteen firefighters. If I had gone out with the camera, I could have had a calendar.

I've also decided to buy a new bed. I'll do that tomorrow and have it delivered Tuesday afternoon after they're done spraying. I hate to do it, but I can make this computer last another year or so and I'd need a new bed anyway when I move. The bed and dresser in here are the only things that aren't mine. It's funny, but I've never needed a dresser. I've always lived in trailers that had dressers built in.

So I'm either calmer today than yesterday or numb with lack of sleep, take your choice.

At least I'll have the weekend and I won't have to do anything. But just to show you what a hassle those books are, I've filled 8 LARGE garbage bags with books and still have three shelves and my CDs left. Not to mention they want all the miniature stuff out of the cabinet my dollhouse is on.

Oh, my sainted aunt! The guy with the leaf blower just started up across the street. I don't think I'm ever going to be able to sleep!

• Like 1

Kelly what size bed did you buy. I have a brand new double sized long mattress cover that I bought a few months ago to put on my bed, I have a box spring , then a sprung mattress then a  separate 5 inch memory foam on the top of that. My bed is electric and when I turn up the head the memory foam slips down.I had the great idea that if I enclosed the spring mattress with the memory foam and zip it all in it will hold everything together. I got it on just fine  but it was just too hard to get the sheet on as it was now 20 inches deep, so didn't even try to sleep on it, I took it off and went back to my old system of two sheets , I deep one for the mattress and a shallower for the foam. So this very expensive cover is just sitting here. I was going to give it to goodwill but if you can use it I can mail it to you, As I said it is a double sized long mattress..ie double in width but the length is the same as a queen.

Oh and we have no bed bugs..not a one.  I will try and find the link to where I bought it .

Kelly can't get the link on but I did get a picture which gives info on the biox

I also bought a single one as we were doing a room for my grandson but they gave him a queen bed and I may still, have that one too and it is new, but I have a feeling I passed that on to someone   so not certain about it but I will look if it the size you need.

mattress cover.jpg

Sorry for getting back to this thread so late.

Jeannine, I ordered a twin regular length bed and it should be here Wednesday. But here's the kicker. I told the manager I was getting a new bed. Nothing. I told the maintenance guy (cause he'll have to move the old one out). He said tell Jane, the other manager. I told Jane and she flipped out. "We can't move your old bed out of your room until we know for sure it doesn't have bedbugs!" Translated, that means I need to sleep on it for another 30 days.

So I can A) cancel the delivery for a month or B) stand the sofa up on edge and then stand the bed and box spring against the closet door.

The upshot of this all this is thank you for your offer, but let's wait a bit and see what happens. The bed protector may be too long for my bed, though. I really wanted an extra long twin, but money wise and the fact that all my sheets are regular sized, plus if I go live in a shed I'll need all the room I can spare, made me pick the regular sized twin. But I really appreciate the offer. The guy that sold the bed wanted me to have a bed protector for "only $59.95!". Fortunately, I took in just enough money for the mattress, box spring, tax, and delivery and didn't have that much left over. The advantages of carrying cash. They don't try to upsell you on stuff if they can see you have no more money. LOL

I forgot to add, all the books and magazines are boxed and out of my room. Tonight I have to bag up all my miniatures and clothes and move those out, as well as the electronics like the computer and stuff. So I'll be offline tonight, tomorrow, and maybe Wednesday as well. Not that anyone will probably notice, but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks, Karin, to be honest, things are going better than they have for about 5 years now, so I really shouldn't complain too much about the bed. I put a ton of money into savings this month. My rent will probably go up next month, so I wanted to get as much in there as I could before that happens.

Anyway, Jim came by and wrapped the old mattress and box spring in plastic and trundled them out and I'm sleeping on the new mattress now.

Jeannine, please take your time looking. It's going to be a hot, hot, hot week here and I'm basically going to take a sabbatical from life while that's going on. I don't exist during hot days. And I imagine if you're in BC, you're going to get the same heat we are. I'm just grateful I'm not in the Bay Area right now. 106 in San Francisco! That's unheard of! I've lived through 112 in Morgan Hill, but that place is always hot. But over 80 in SF? Wowwee!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten your mattress cover,it is packed in the main house somewhere but my granddaughter is moving and had filled most of store rooms with her furniture as her new house was not ready before her old one was promised to the new seller. I think she in moving everything in 2 weeks so I will stand a chance of finding it.. It is brand new, top of the line, fully zipped all round and is bug proof I don't think I gave it away and my daughter says she didn't so hopefully we will find it shortly.

Pleas don't worry about it, Jeannine. Take your time. I just got the last of my books back and on the shelf last week and now I'm tackling my kitchen. The sink decided to leak and Jim was here all day yesterday fixing it. So now I'm cleaning out the cabinet under the sink and moving out furniture to clean the kitchen floor.

Meantime, I now have a fight to pick with my lawyer and that will be taking all my attention. Social Security withheld more than $11,000 and gave it to her for her 25% fee. I had been in her office and signed a contract, though, stating she would take only $9000 and that was in early August. She got the $11000 later that month and hasn't said a word to me. So now I want the difference and of course, I'll have to fight her all the way to get my money back. But if I have to, I'll take her to small claims court.

Always something.

Well, I finally got a return call yesterday and the assistant to the lawyer stated they never received the money. So Monday morning I'm going back to SS and get a printout of what money was sent where and when. Then I'm going to bring that printout over to the lawyer's office and go from there. There's an organization that gives free legal advice and depending on what happens on Monday, I'll give them a call on Tuesday.

One way or the other, I'm getting my money.

I will say one thing - there is a positive side to being disabled. I didn't have to worry about when or if to retire and I didn't have to sign up for anything, including Medicare. And once I turn 66, I won't have to sign up for Social Security because SSDI will automatically convert to SS. I guess they knew how much I screw up forms and stuff. Sable, your DH has got nothing on me when it comes to making boo boos with applications. I'm surprised I haven't signed myself up for being an astronaut just by signing up for email and miniatures.com.

• Like 1