When the windows don't quite fit...

mythreecents

Progress on my Glencroft has come to a halt!  The windows and doors need an exceptional amount of trimming to fit properly. I'm wondering if there's a faster/more effective way than sanding them by hand? I also tried a Dremel but it can't get the corners properly. Any suggestions appreciated before it becomes a pile of toothpicks! :) 

Can you try shaving it gently with an eXacto or utility knife blade instead of sanding?

Does it make any sense to alter the size of the opening rather than the door or window frame itself?

• Like 1

I gathered from the comment about the Dremel not getting the corners properly that Liz is trying to enlarge the openings.  I had much better luck with sanding the doors & windows.  I did shave the openings with my utility knife.  I suspect when I stained the doors, trims and frames it caused the wood to swell and that's why I had to do so much shaving & sanding to get thing to fit back into their openings, especially the parts I had hinged to make them moving.  It's part of the build.  I don't have so much of the problem now that I make my own doors & windows.

• Like 1

I've tried hand-shaving, but some of the wood cracks; I've tried sanding windows/doors AND openings, so as not to take too much off one or the other.  A friend visiting earlier today mentioned a very small mouse sander that she uses to do crafts, and I'm going to get one of those and give it a shot!  Thank you for the input :)

So. Apparently, sandpaper comes in more than one coarseness. Which I did know, but for some reason, never thought of. Now my sanding block is wrapped in very coarse sandpaper instead of fine, and all is well. Where's the terribly embarrassed emoticon? :doh:

(And thank you Holly for the emery board tip!)