The do's and don'ts of cladding a Pierce....

Shareb

Hi All,

It's been a long while since I've worked on my Pierce.  A few health issues combined with 'real' home renovations have kept me away from my beloved craft cottage!  I've begun to think about finishing my Pierce - it's long overdue and feeling neglected.  My problem is that I foolishly finished all the windows inside and out and now that I've come to 'cladding time' I'm not quite sure how to go about it.  Obviously all of the windows have curves and I can see it'll be a real issue to cut the cladding to shape.  Plus I'm not sure how it'll look if the cladding and window frames are level.  The alternative is to take the outside window pieces off however that does scare me given how long they have been glued in place.  I would be very concerned that they would fall about or damage the house if I tried to take them off.  Of course I could choose to do a different outside - maybe texture it to look like stone etc.  It does have stone turrets.  Being Queen Anne style I could shingle a part of it also - they were quite flamboyant in that time period.  But I've had my heart set on white weatherboard cladding with dark blue window frames since buying the house.  <sigh>  Would welcome suggestions please!

If this were my decision to make and I felt as strongly about weatherboarding as you do, I'd at least try to remove the outside window frames by heating with a hair dryer and gently prying loose with a thin-bladed putty knife or palette knife. I'd be resigned to some being damaged, but I'd be confident in my ability to repair or replace and repaint them. 

If heat doesn't do the trick, depending on what kind of glue you used, dripping a bit of vinegar & water to seep behind the frames might soften the glue enough to make it possible to pry off the frame.

Alternately, I'd simply butt the boards against the window frames. You might try taping several pieces of board against a window frame to get an idea of the finished look..You may not find it objectionable.

• Like 1

Love that 'scribing' video Sable!  Thanks for that - makes perfect sense and I can see that skill come in very handy in future!  Thanks Holly - If I didn't have this 'look' so clear in my head I probably would decide to stucco!  Thank you Kathie - I haven't heard of either of those 'glue loosening' techniques so I will try those out.  Funny - I started this house so long ago now and I look back and can see so much that I would now do differently!  Why I chose such a large house for my first I have no idea!  Lol - too much confidence in my abilities I think!  I'm glad to finally be getting a little excitement and motivation back to get back into my Pierce.  There just seems to be so much other stuff that needs to be done every day, that crafty things tend to come last!

• Like 1