Dollhouses in film and TV

TerriAnn

I even get excited when I see a dollhouse on tv/movie. Here's one from 2nd season of Into The Badlands.  It looks like the Thornhill but not certain. What do you think?  And what other shows/movies have you seen dollhouses on? 

IMG_3807.PNG

18 minutes ago, TerriAnn said:

I even get excited when I see a dollhouse on tv/movie. Here's one from 2nd season of Into The Badlands.  It looks like the Thornhill but not certain. What do you think?  And what other shows/movies have you seen dollhouses on?

Oooh! Me too!  I was compiling a list, I'll have to see if I can find it!

But the first one that springs to my mind is the dollhouse in "The Awakening".

the-awakening-doll-house.jpg?w=768&h=326

I'm a huge horror fan, and the dollhouse is pretty important to the story. It's a good movie too. :)

I'll see if I can find that list! I can't wait to see if this thread comes up with more things to add to it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Griffonfeathers said:

But the first one that springs to my mind is the dollhouse in "The Awakening".

the-awakening-doll-house.jpg?w=768&h=326

I love this dollhouse!  Do you know the name?

And I will go watch this movie now!

This topic comes up from time to time.  My favorites are the McKinley in the CSI episode about the girl and her brother who had hypertrichosis (werewolf syndrome) and n the "The Santa Clause" several different Greenleaf dollhouses are rolling down the assembly line.

• Like 1

Okay, I can't find my list, but here are a few of the ones I remember off the top of my head. There will probably be more. :)

"Are you Afraid of the Dark"  - Tale of the Dollmaker

latest?cb=20150404135807

"The Twilight Zone" - Miniature

the_twilight_zone_all_156-110-miniature.

X-Files "Audrey Pauley" has a huge, dollhouse hospital in it.

audrey-pauley_maqueta_archmedia.jpg?w=64

There's also a whole crazy miniaturist story on CSI - the Miniature Killer I think.

the-miniature-killer-csi.jpg

That storyline was inspired by Frances Glessner Lee's "Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death". Her story is FASCINATING and if you've never seen the nutshell studies, you should check them out (this isn't a bad start - Death in Diorama and there's a whole documentary about her studies and how they related to CSI too)

Anyway... that's probably good for now.

Sorry you asked, aren't you, @TerriAnn. :) Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with! Once I find my list, I want to add more to it! :)

• Like 4

Shipping Wars (A&E) Bidder Bee-Ware episode where they are shipping 7 dollhouses including this RGT Bostonian and a Joseph Angel shell from Florida to The Great American Dollhouse Museum (I highly recommend a visit) in Danville Kentucky,

download.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Griffonfeathers said:

Okay, I can't find my list, but here are a few of the ones I remember off the top of my head. There will probably be more. :)

"Are you Afraid of the Dark"  - Tale of the Dollmaker

latest?cb=20150404135807

"The Twilight Zone" - Miniature

the_twilight_zone_all_156-110-miniature.

X-Files "Audrey Pauley" has a huge, dollhouse hospital in it.

audrey-pauley_maqueta_archmedia.jpg?w=64

There's also a whole crazy miniaturist story on CSI - the Miniature Killer I think.

the-miniature-killer-csi.jpg

That storyline was inspired by Frances Glessner Lee's "Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death". Her story is FASCINATING and if you've never seen the nutshell studies, you should check them out (this isn't a bad start - Death in Diorama and there's a whole documentary about her studies and how they related to CSI too)

Anyway... that's probably good for now.

Sorry you asked, aren't you, @TerriAnn. :) Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with! Once I find my list, I want to add more to it! :)

Not sorry at all!  Keep them coming!

• Like 1

I had the TV on yesterday while I was working on the Magnolia. The movie, which I've seen many times (or half-listened to) was "Love Comes Softly" and the little girl receives a dh for Christmas. I never noticed it before - guess I just happened to look up at the screen at the right time. I did not recognize it, but it was a nice one.

• Like 3

I have noticed that for myself, prior to getting back into the building, I never paid much attention to dollhouses.  Now my mini mind finds them everywhere.  I'll catch a house in the background of a commercial,  television show, etc.  Saw a beauty on "salvage dogs" and "fixer upper".

• Like 2

So I just stumbled across this one, which I'd never heard of before. "Secrets in the Attic: The Dollhouse Murders" from 1993. It seems to have been based on a book called "The Dollhouse Murders."

I cannot find a still of the house from the movie for anything, but I did find this movie poster

20194.jpg

Since it's a slow day at work, and I found a link to the whole film on YouTube, I'm going to give it a watch.

Oh, and also "Ghost Story: House of Evil" from 1972 which features a very young Jodi Foster and a dollhouse and voodoo.

houseofevil5.jpg

I'm going to give it a watch on YouTube too. (Seriously it is SLOOOOOOW at work.)

Any other dollhouses on TV or in movies, you guys? My hope is that this thread will become a definitive list for others in the future who have the same question! :) Thanks for your help!

Edited by Griffonfeathers
Added "House of Evil"
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You want definitive?  There are at least two or three more topics of media dollhouses floating around in the archives.

Hello @havanaholly.  Yeah, I only saw one, and it had been abandoned after being overrun by dust bunnies. :) This one - http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=35576 Certainly NOT definitive (or even actually much of a list, actually).

Though, if there are 2 or three of them then clearly NONE of them are definitive. :)

What I am looking for/hoping to generate a list of are tv shows/movies where the dollhouse is important to the story, not so much just set dressing which is what most of the ones mentioned in that thread are.  I did not start this thread, but I am so glad someone did and I wish I HAD.

Dollhouses can be so much more than just set dressing and just another toy on a set, and THAT is the list I hope that this thread will generate since that seems to be the direction it's already going. I'm sorry if that is not interesting to you, but I am really enjoying the information here. *shrug*

• Like 4

I am really liking this thread.  Yesterday, I hunted down the Twilight Zone episode on Hulu and really enjoyed it.  Looks like I might be able to get the Ghost Whisperer episode through Amazon Prime.  I had seen one of the CSI episodes already; apparently, there was a whole arc, and I haven't watched them all.  It's fun watching these shows, even though, when a dollhouse features prominently, it's often scary.  :fear:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Griffonfeathers said:

...I'm sorry if that is not interesting to you, but I am really enjoying the information here. *shrug*

I'm sorry if you think I didn't sound interested, and I do think it would be nice to have such a list, which would need to be pinned if it's going to be relevant.  One of the reasons we got the first ten seasons of CSI were for the series on the "miniature murders" and the episode with the McKinley.

• Like 1